Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #31
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have already built a reputation in that field, and most people who do that kind of thing charge a lot more than I will. Around here (probably just like anywhere else) vintage car mechanics don't care a thing about what they are doing, just like new car "technicians", and just see it as a way to rip off vintage car owners.
Sounds like reputation building is one of your predominant qualities....

Intereting to note that despite constantly griping about what things cost, you'll be paying your..."frugality" forward by devaluing your own feild of endeavor too by charging below market rates for your own services.

So, if I understand your value proposition, you are 1) the ONLY vintage mechanic who "cares" what he's doing 2) yet you can charge less than the others 3) you don't "rip people off" like other vintage car mechanics all do...

Im amazed you can still wrench what with that hand of yours patting yourself on the back like that all the time...
Old 09-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,013
Last post on this thread unless it has to do with the OPs question. And sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread.

I have been doing work on vintage cars on my own for over 15 years here in my area. I care about vintage vehicles (love them actually) and take the time and effort to do the job right. Only twice that I can remember I had someone come back that had an issue, and even though one of those issues was not really my fault, I fixed it for free anyway. Unlike most others, who do this sort of thing strictly for money, and just throw things together (same kind of work you would expect from Walmart or Pep Boys) It is also a hobby to me. I don't have to have the money, but it is always nice to have money. But there is a difference between charging someone a "fair" price for good work, and ripping someone off for crappy work. Most vintage vehicle owners who do not do their own work are either to old or disabled to, some don't know how. Most have been cheated many times, some to the point of giving up the hobby.

There is no such thing as devaluing the market. At least not on my scale. Even if I did it full time, I could not make a dent in all the con artists out there doing the same thing. However, this, along with many other markets, including the motorcycle market, could certainly use some "devaluing" Prices have simply gotten out of hand, for bikes, parts, and service. Because of the structure of the motorcycle business, most of the people in it are working for very low wages, while the one at the top gets rich. I don't see anything fair about that.

Capitalism is a great concept. But it is in danger of being destroyed by greed.

To the OP, don't give up yet. It may not be as bad as you think.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #33
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Big thanks to Aprilia for making a 6 year old model completely invisible as far as service/support goes. Another for having Helen Keller write your service manuals. I sincerely hope you pull the plug in America you indignant f%%%. My scooter is totaled because I hit a pot-hole...good job guys.
beltfed72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #34
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Laugh

Whatever, personally I've been very pleased with our Aprilia scoots both the Scarabeo and BV. Obviously others don't feel the way you do since I can think of 3 that will be doing the 2013 cannonball - assuming my husband actually does go or if he doesn't that I decide to take the big wheel SC over my GTS.

But then other than one piss poor dealer in Denver who seems to cause more problems than they solve when I take something in I've had very good service done on ours. We are fortunate in Houston to have good factory trained mechanics and over in New Brunfels/Austin another if we happen to be out in the hill country riding the twisties.

I will admit that the Denver dealer is so bad we trailered our Colorado scoot back to Houston to repair the damage done by the Denver dealer. Oh well, just means I'll have to ride it back in a week or two. Pity about missing the best part of the riding season in Colorado but at least I'll get to leaf peep taking it back.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #35
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltfed72 View Post
.................................................. ......... Thanks again guys, wish Klavinator would chime in here too.
Sorry, I've been been out riding my Sport City in the Ozarks and was away from my computer for over a week. I really couldn't help you anyway. Electrical issues are not something I'm good at. I have been lucky with my sport city. 17,170 miles and no problems except for a leaky fork seal.

I will agree that the Service manual is semi worthless and there just isn't much information out there on this model. I wish you luck figuring this out because the sport city is a great ride.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,222
Plug Plug wire?

I have been following this. Has any mention of a faulty plug wire or cap been made? Somewhere in my foggy memory, I recall seeing a post about some aprillia/piaggio scoots having a failure after hitting a hard bump. The problem was related to a too short ignition wire that broke or was damaged due to lack of play in the wire.
Just trying to add to the collection of ideas. Good luck!
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"

driller screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 01:43 PM
driller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #37
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer

Thanks, and actually that was one of the first things I found when looking for common issues. The coil wire is tied to the swingarm (with a zip-tie) so every time you hit a bump it gets shorter. A big bump with a much heavier rider (me) than the PO would have certainly been a great place to start. Unfortunately, this problem had reared it ugly head previously, and aformentioned zip-tie had been cut already. Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I`d really like to find someone with a 2006-2008 Sportcity or Scarabeo they`re parting out. I need the ECU/Throttle body assy.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #38
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Check with the guys in this thread http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic120406 Vespa GTS 250 has the same motor so the parts may be interchangeable.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #39
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Check with the guys in this thread http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic120406 Vespa GTS 250 has the same motor so the parts may be interchangeable.
I just cracked and ordered a new one from Apriliasuperstore. If it fires, yay...up for sale. If it doesn`t...well it doesn`t. I have spent COUNTLESS hours on this thing, wrenching and searching. I need closure, whether it`s $450 for the ECU/Throttle body or a gallon of diesel fuel. I really do appreciate the input, please excuse my disgruntled disposition.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #40
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltfed72 View Post
I just cracked and ordered a new one from Apriliasuperstore. If it fires, yay...up for sale. If it doesn`t...well it doesn`t. I have spent COUNTLESS hours on this thing, wrenching and searching. I need closure, whether it`s $450 for the ECU/Throttle body or a gallon of diesel fuel. I really do appreciate the input, please excuse my disgruntled disposition.
Wow that's a lot of money to risk. I can certainly understand your disgruntled disposition. I have under 10,000 miles on my Genuine Stella, and several things have gone wrong with it during that time, including one fried top end. These issues are not the result of design problems, they are caused by poor quality manufacturing and materials. Fortunately the Stella is so simple it is easy to work on and troubleshoot, and I've never had any trouble finding and fixing the problem. I find it very frustrating and disheartening, and downright sad actually, that manufacturers are building bikes (and cars) that the owner can no longer work on.

Anyway, I hope your investment pays off and you get it going. If so, you will have still gotten a good deal on it. If not, well, it happens. It has happened to pretty much everybody who is into bikes and cars. Sometimes you are going to lose, and it is never fun. Best of luck.
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #41
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Wow that's a lot of money to risk. I can certainly understand your disgruntled disposition. I have under 10,000 miles on my Genuine Stella, and several things have gone wrong with it during that time, including one fried top end. These issues are not the result of design problems, they are caused by poor quality manufacturing and materials. Fortunately the Stella is so simple it is easy to work on and troubleshoot, and I've never had any trouble finding and fixing the problem. I find it very frustrating and disheartening, and downright sad actually, that manufacturers are building bikes (and cars) that the owner can no longer work on.

Anyway, I hope your investment pays off and you get it going. If so, you will have still gotten a good deal on it. If not, well, it happens. It has happened to pretty much everybody who is into bikes and cars. Sometimes you are going to lose, and it is never fun. Best of luck.
Thanks Jerry,

I figure it`s worth it, either way. It`s closure, and actually, now that I know what`s what with this bike I may just make some fangled/farkled/frankencycle (which will be carbureted and straight 12v to headlight tail-light) Material quality is just shyte these days no matter what you buy from where. i`m starting to think that all of the good steel is going to China, and since nobody else (especially us) can buy that kind of volume, we get the 2nds. I hope this ECU works, seriously.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Like I said, I certainly hope the new parts work, but I would also love to see someone convert a FI scooter to a carb. I converted a throttle body Chevy 4.3 V6 from FI to a carb, and at the same time removed all the emissions crap from it. But it was a fairly involved task that cost over $1500. I had to buy a new carb and manifold (fortunately the 4.3 had been available in a carbed version before the FI came out, so the parts were available for the earlier model) I used headers, and built a straight dual exhaust right out the back. I had to use a low pressure electric fuel pump to supply gas to the carb, and the distributor had to be replaced with a non computer controlled one. The smog pump was removed, and I had to fabricate an idler pulley to replace it, so the serpentine belt would still fit. And of course there was a long list of "little things" but it came out nice, runs so much better, and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction that it is now computer and emissions crap free.

On a scooter your biggest problem in converting to a carb will likely be the ignition, which is also controlled by the same computer that controls the FI. If the tank is lower than the carb, gravity feed won't work, and you will need a low pressure fuel pump to get fuel to the carb. I thought about buying a used Suzuki TU250 and seeing if I could convert it to a carb.
1980 Puch moped
Old 10-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer

Thanks to everybody, the ECU fixed the problem. I am scared of this thing now, just too damned complex. I need to change the oil and CVT fluid, any suggestions? If anyone close to Atl wants this thing on the cheap, send me a pm. Thanks again y`all, really.