Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
WheelsnKeels
Bikes n Boats

Oddometer: 49
Heh, "bottom of the food chain"... Au contraire, friend! :)

When I first decided I'd like to get back into riding, I thought I would have to buy a vintage bike. I specifically wanted a small 'cycle, efficient, light and nimble. Nice looks would have been a bonus. Something almost specifically for backroads, a bike like I used to ride when I was a kid, back in time before the "cc wars". I like the KISS principle and employ it throughout my life, working and traveling. I have a van which is great for the freeway, if I want to travel at high speed and am more concerned with the destination than with the journey. So I was looking for vintage, thinking it was my only alternative, when I found the Wolf.

The fact that I could get a NEW bike which is pretty much the same as a small vintage streeter was awesome, and fit perfectly into my plans. I know I am in a minority, yet - your ride is yours, and my ride is mine. I've used it for 2 months now as a daily rider, adapted it to work with both my work and with my play. I ride solo, and with bags or a case, use it to tote my groceries, computers, and/or camping gear. I can run at 60/65+mph highway and stay with traffic or close to it, if need be. I'd rather the back way, though, with less traffic and more relaxation. The Wolf is everything I was looking for.

I also have a Buddy 150 - great lil scoot, like has been pointed out the floorboard and built-in storage is nice - but I don't want to take it up over 45-50 for very long, those small wheels get the jitters and don't like sudden elevation changes, even if only on the scale of a pothole or speed bump. It is great for buzzing around town, if I lived in a big city it would probably be my primary, but down here in the Lowcountry of SC, the distances are greater and the roads are more motorcycle-friendly. And if you have to get off the road for a little bit to avoid a deer, dead 'coon, or cager, then the Wolf is eminently more suited to the conditions.

Hardly the bottom of anything, instead she's just perfect. For my ride.

See ya out there. :)

On Edit: As always, and in Taiwan, SYM made small Honda's for Honda under contract, from 1962 on until 85-90 or thereabouts. The Wolf is basically an upgraded CB125S with a larger, ceramic-coated piston, CDI, hydraulic front disc, etc etc... The cracking rubber mentioned was on the turn signals - it's an easy fix: dismount the signal from the bike, remove the rubber part, remount signal. Or swap 'em out. Quick, cheap, easy. I haven't seen any complaints about rust or other quality issues as inferred by a couple of the comments here.

WheelsnKeels screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 03:24 PM
WheelsnKeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsnKeels View Post
Heh, "bottom of the food chain"... Au contraire, friend! :)

When I first decided I'd like to get back into riding, I thought I would have to buy a vintage bike. I specifically wanted a small 'cycle, efficient, light and nimble. Nice looks would have been a bonus. Something almost specifically for backroads, a bike like I used to ride when I was a kid, back in time before the "cc wars". I like the KISS principle and employ it throughout my life, working and traveling. I have a van which is great for the freeway, if I want to travel at high speed and am more concerned with the destination than with the journey. So I was looking for vintage, thinking it was my only alternative, when I found the Wolf.

The fact that I could get a NEW bike which is pretty much the same as a small vintage streeter was awesome, and fit perfectly into my plans. I know I am in a minority, yet - your ride is yours, and my ride is mine. I've used it for 2 months now as a daily rider, adapted it to work with both my work and with my play. I ride solo, and with bags or a case, use it to tote my groceries, computers, and/or camping gear. I can run at 60/65+mph highway and stay with traffic or close to it, if need be. I'd rather the back way, though, with less traffic and more relaxation. The Wolf is everything I was looking for.

I also have a Buddy 150 - great lil scoot, like has been pointed out the floorboard and built-in storage is nice - but I don't want to take it up over 45-50 for very long, those small wheels get the jitters and don't like sudden elevation changes, even if only on the scale of a pothole or speed bump. It is great for buzzing around town, if I lived in a big city it would probably be my primary, but down here in the Lowcountry of SC, the distances are greater and the roads are more motorcycle-friendly. And if you have to get off the road for a little bit to avoid a deer, dead 'coon, or cager, then the Wolf is eminently more suited to the conditions.

Hardly the bottom of anything, instead she's just perfect. For my ride.

See ya out there. :)

On Edit: As always, and in Taiwan, SYM made small Honda's for Honda under contract, from 1962 on until 85-90 or thereabouts. The Wolf is basically an upgraded CB125S with a larger, ceramic-coated piston, CDI, hydraulic front disc, etc etc... The cracking rubber mentioned was on the turn signals - it's an easy fix: dismount the signal from the bike, remove the rubber part, remount signal. Or swap 'em out. Quick, cheap, easy. I haven't seen any complaints about rust or other quality issues as inferred by a couple of the comments here.
I would not buy a MadAss, just because I don't like the look, and the ergos do not look comfortable. Too lean forward for me. I would love to have a Wolf 150 if the quality matched SYM scooters. I admit it is not as useful as a small scooter, nor as easy to operate. But I am a huge fan of vintage bikes (that's why I have the Stella) and the Wolf looks just like one. It would be FUN to ride. Small, lightweight, easy to handle, and running it up through the gears at full throttle should be a blast. I use the Stella more as a toy, just to take out and ride for short distances, just for fun. The Wolf would serve the same purpose. But when I want to go somewhere, I always take one of the CVT scooters. For those who want a bike just for the fun of riding it, I don't see how a bike like the Wolf could be beat. But I fear it may suffer from the same quality issues as the Stella. At least vintage Vespa parts fit the Stella, and it is fairly easy to work on. If they quit selling the Wolf here, I don't know if parts will be available.

Has anyone ridden the Wolf for any substantial time (say like all day) at 50 mph, without problems? Definitely not something I would try on the Stella.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
gitsum had one and he rode it lots, off-road, on-road, long day trips, etc. Asl him.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
I had a madass, the suspension on the front was too soft and the rear too hard for offroad. Mine was starting to have issues at 14000kms so I sold it. It was a fun bike though, it handled really well.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
WheelsnKeels
Bikes n Boats

Hi Jerry -

I've a bit over 1K miles in the saddle of my Wolf now, and can tell you that quality is not an issue; also, from what I've read the Wolf is made in the same factory as the scooters. I don't have a Stella, but I do have a Buddy ('09 Italia 150), and from what I've read on the Modern Buddy forums, I would say that the Wolf is of better quality and more reliable than the Stella. It is at a level of, if not better than, the quality of the Buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Has anyone ridden the Wolf for any substantial time (say like all day) at 50 mph, without problems? Definitely not something I would try on the Stella.
225 miles today @mostly 55-60+, first day of a long weekend/short vacation. "Lillie" handled it with no problems whatsoever (the whole "ran out of gas" thing was *my* fault... ).

Heading another ~150 over to Bryson tomorrow, then 2-3 days of area riding including the Dragon, before the 360 mile trip back home. Will likely be ~1K miles in total by the time I get back home. Trip report coming.

WheelsnKeels screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 07:09 PM
WheelsnKeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #21
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

I did a 200 mile ride on my TU250X one Sunday: Bisbee to Willcox to Benson to Sierra Vista and back to Bisbee. The TU is quite similar to the Wolf and I don't remember hating the seat when I returned home. Plus the seats on both bikes are long enough to enable moving back and forth.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
wheelbender6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I'd have to go with the Sym Wolf because I loved the appearance of the Honda CBs. I'm a Buddy 125 rider and it is very practical for commuting and errands. Sometimes, we want more than practical.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

" Sometimes, we want more than practical" I certainly have to agree with that. I would have bought a TU when it first came out if it had a centerstand. The Wolf 150 does. And it is certainly a great looking bike. I wonder how it would handle a 230 pound rider.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

That's the one deficiency in the TU: No center stand. Although by now there may be aftermarket ones available.

Also, I don't know why they keep making gray bikes (or variations on gray). I had a red one (2009?) and it was absolutely striking. Possibly Suzuki got a killer buy on gray paint because my 2012 Suzuki DR650 is also gray, as is the 2013. And my DR is a wonderful shade of WWII US Navy battleship gray, a color guaranteed to escape the "watchful" eyes of cage drivers. Thank God my helmet is white, and I'm thinking about junking my black Tourmaster 3/4 length coat and getting one of those day-glo lime green ones.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
i found gitsum's old thread with some very nice pics. the wolf just looks cool imo. and its aesthetics would seem very, very good. for around $3000 in a little bike you could do worse imo

DudeClone screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 11:49 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
kek
'back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 10
Do I dare mention the Honda Grom? 125cc with tons of aftermarket upgrade kits - from 150cc up to 200cc for under $300!!!!!
http://www.yuminashi.com/-msx125-cylinder-kits/

kek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #27
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The Wolf 150 is a motorcycle. I really have no idea what the Grom is. Maybe an overgrown skateboard??? There is already a huge Grom thread here.

Back to the Wolf, it is a beautiful bike overall. I just keep hearing about problems with the little details. They seem to have more to do with poor quality materials than anything else. Paint that turns blotchy, chrome that rusts, rubber and plastic that rots and cracks. I can't confirm any of this, it's just what I read on the SYM forum, with one exception. I did look at one at a local SYM dealer several months ago, and did find some cracked rubber parts on it, brand new on the showroom floor.

However, I did pay $3000 for a new 2 stroke Stella with many of the same issues, poor electrical system, and a seizure prone engine. So the Wolf might not be a bad deal at all for someone who wants to relive the old days of 1970 Hondas. It's probably more reliable than the Stella mechanically.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #28
WheelsnKeels
Bikes n Boats

I purchased my '12 Wolf in late July and have put ~1800 miles on her, mostly in-town but including a trip of over 500 highway miles to the NC mountains last week, loaded with 70+ lbs of gear/bags/etc. Rode that at 55-65 the whole way (except for in the twisties, of course... ;) ). She runs like a champ. Paint is beautiful and uniform, no rust on her. A conversation piece wherever I go. They get great mileage, are a *blast* to ride, and are simple and mechanically reliable.

The only quality issue reported by Wolf owners across the board is *just* the rubber bases, *only* on the turn signals. Easily fixed by either removing the rubber from the turn signal stalk, or by swapping them out. No other common rubber or plastic, paint or rust issues.

We have had some confusion lately WRT the fuel tank capacity. The Alliance Power Sports website has it at 3+ gallons, but just in the past week or two a couple or three of us have figured out that that is a gallon optimistic. Oops, dammit. ;) That is not really a drawback, once you know.

No bike is perfect, of course, but the Wolf is damned close, if it is the kind of ride you are looking for.

To quote 'ootscoot', a well regarded dealer in LA (IIRC) who's sold ~50 Wolves now: "Problems with any bike get a lot of attention; reliable, long lasting and fun bikes just get ridden."

Look through the 11 pages of threads at the owners Forum, and you'll find that the large majority of "problems" reported are by are new owners learning their bikes, nearly all of them are simple issues, things like squeaky brakes, owners learning to shift, or maybe rejetting needed due to altitude change. Almost all of those threads end something along the lines of "oops, I did xxx wrong" or "Fixed! I just needed to adjust xxx"....and that is the last you hear of it; that Wolf owner is out riding now. :)

-----

Comparing the Stella and the Wolf:

Over on the ModernBuddy Forum, in the Stella-specific section, of the 70 threads listed on the first page, based on the titles I see, 20 of them are in regards to mechanical issues with Stellas.

Of the first 70 threads in the Wolf forum, only 8 have to deal with mechanicals. None approach the severity of some of the Stella topics. Thank Deity.

There is an ADVRider member I know of who owns both a Wolf and a Stella, I'll ask him to add his input here.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
olhogrider
Old nOOb

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsnKeels View Post
I purchased my '12 Wolf in late July and have put ~1800 miles on her, mostly in-town but including a trip of over 500 highway miles to the NC mountains last week, loaded with 70+ lbs of gear/bags/etc. Rode that at 55-65 the whole way (except for in the twisties, of course... ;) ). She runs like a champ. Paint is beautiful and uniform, no rust on her. A conversation piece wherever I go. They get great mileage, are a *blast* to ride, and are simple and mechanically reliable.

The only quality issue reported by Wolf owners across the board is *just* the rubber bases, *only* on the turn signals. Easily fixed by either removing the rubber from the turn signal stalk, or by swapping them out. No other common rubber or plastic, paint or rust issues.

We have had some confusion lately WRT the fuel tank capacity. The Alliance Power Sports website has it at 3+ gallons, but just in the past week or two a couple or three of us have figured out that that is a gallon optimistic. Oops, dammit. ;) That is not really a drawback, once you know.

No bike is perfect, of course, but the Wolf is damned close, if it is the kind of ride you are looking for.

To quote 'ootscoot', a well regarded dealer in LA (IIRC) who's sold ~50 Wolves now: "Problems with any bike get a lot of attention; reliable, long lasting and fun bikes just get ridden."

Look through the 11 pages of threads at the owners Forum, and you'll find that the large majority of "problems" reported are by are new owners learning their bikes, nearly all of them are simple issues, things like squeaky brakes, owners learning to shift, or maybe rejetting needed due to altitude change. Almost all of those threads end something along the lines of "oops, I did xxx wrong" or "Fixed! I just needed to adjust xxx"....and that is the last you hear of it; that Wolf owner is out riding now. :)

-----

Comparing the Stella and the Wolf:

Over on the ModernBuddy Forum, in the Stella-specific section, of the 70 threads listed on the first page, based on the titles I see, 20 of them are in regards to mechanical issues with Stellas.

Of the first 70 threads in the Wolf forum, only 8 have to deal with mechanicals. None approach the severity of some of the Stella topics. Thank Deity.

There is an ADVRider member I know of who owns both a Wolf and a Stella, I'll ask him to add his input here.
That's me! I rode my 2011 Triumph Scrambler to the SYM dealer in Sonoma. It is still there, for sale (make offer). One ride on the baby Wolf and I was sold. At 57 years old I think it is too late for a midlife crisis. How about reliving my childhood? This bike makes me feel like I did when I was 15 and running from the cops on my Honda S90. The only quality issue has been the turn signal rubbers and I only discovered that because I was taking them off at the time. Remounting the signals without the rubbers brings them inboard where they should be in the first place. Everywhere I go people ask "what is it?" and "how much does it cost?". Many people compliment me on the excellent restoration job I did.

The only mod this bike needs is the 17 tooth countershaft sprocket. Thats a 45 minute job for a home mechanic. It transforms the bike! Top speed is 65 still but it does it at a little lower rpm. Now when drafting I can get to 75 before the rev limiter kicks in.

I have a Stella 2 stroke. I like the Wolf so much I think I'll trade the Stella for another Wolf! The Taiwan domestic model has a different seat, handlebars and a small rear rack. One of the SYM forum members is in Taiwan and sells those parts. Im thinking of getting knobby trials tires and making a Scrambler out of it. I won't change my Cafe Classic though. I like it too much.

The only thing I don't like is the tank decals. Unfortunately, they are under the clearcoat. Normally that is a sign of quality but it meant some time with sandpaper and rattle cans to make it the way I want.

Last week I was on the coast road by Palos Verdes when I came up on an old Honda 160. He had a red frame and silver tank and side panels. My red frame and black tank looked like they were brothers. Mine was quieter too. I even like the sound.

Is is practical like a twist and go scooter? No. There is no storage. But I can wheelie! Out the door it was $2000 less than my daughter's CBR250 and every bit as much fun!
olhogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek View Post
Do I dare mention the Honda Grom? 125cc with tons of aftermarket upgrade kits - from 150cc up to 200cc for under $300!!!!!
http://www.yuminashi.com/-msx125-cylinder-kits/
looks like an absolute riot. I want one.

shoe some K761's on it:

You got yourself an all around capable little bike that can also go down some trails and gravel with confidence.

Although that Legendary Honda Pricetag sure sucks.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote