ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #811
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by missoulamike View Post
Hey Gang - Two questions for you . . .

1. Does anyone know if the roads that connect from the Lochsa Lodge (parachute hill) all the way over to Kelly Creek/Hoodoo Pass/Trout Creek behind Superior are open for travel? Am hoping to either ride it or drive it this weekend. Am guessing the Forest Service folks are unavailable for comment at this time though . . .

2. Aren't we about overdue and then some for a brewery gathering? I don't have many good backroad stories to share unfortunately - too busy of a work season, but am eager to hear others' stories!

Cheers and happy Wednesday!

M
1: Could be snow, but the web cam on the pass looks good. Lolo Pass web cam Route? 237 miles loop.

2: I'm in favor.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #812
missoulamike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
1: Could be snow, but the web cam on the pass looks good. Lolo Pass web cam Route? 237 miles loop.

2: I'm in favor.

Don't know the names of the roads well enough but traveled them some years ago. Turn off at Lochsa Lodge, parachute hill road, then cutting over toward Kelly Creek, then coming up over Hoodoo Pass and down Trout Creek road. Yup, snow could be an issue. :)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #813
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Don't know the names of the roads well enough but traveled them some years ago. Turn off at Lochsa Lodge, parachute hill road, then cutting over toward Kelly Creek, then coming up over Hoodoo Pass and down Trout Creek road. Yup, snow could be an issue. :)
Click on the "route" link in my email - Google Map version. What bike will you taking? The V? A route I've been wanting to try out, but ran out of time this year. But maybe not. If you want a GPX let me know.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #814
missoulamike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Click on the "route" link in my email - Google Map version. What bike will you taking? The V? A route I've been wanting to try out, but ran out of time this year. But maybe not. If you want a GPX let me know.
Thanks for the link! The shown route is much of what I did in the past other than leaving highway 12 earlier and taking the parachute hill rd and then onto the Lolo Motorway. Also, if my memory serves me, I stayed on the Moose Creek Rd until I popped out somewhere around Kelly Creek and/or the Clearwater Road leading up over Hoodoo Pass.

I would normally take the V, though thank you VERY much for the offer! This time it's most likely I'll take the pickup so that girlfriend AND dog can ride along. And, late as it is in the season/short daylight, probably safer for that lengthy trek. However, something we should look at for the bikes next summer if you're interested? The family homestead on Trout Creek would be there to greet us with food and beverage!

Now, onto when to have a gathering . . . Thoughts? Weeknight or Sunday night so as to avoid recreational conflicts?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #815
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Count me in for a brewery visit!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #816
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Thumb

Quote:
Now, onto when to have a gathering . . . Thoughts? Weeknight or Sunday night so as to avoid recreational conflicts?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #817
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
If you all do it on a Thursday or Friday I would be able to come meet you all, I will watch to see what goes down !
Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #818
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,871
In for a brewery meet.
I'm for a Sunday, else I'd be working. Possibly a Wednesday at the Blacksmith though.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #819
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman View Post
In for a brewery meet.
I'm for a Sunday, else I'd be working. Possibly a Wednesday at the Blacksmith though.
BBQ @ Blacksmith on Wednesdays?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #820
missoulamike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm out of Dodge next week but available thereafter . . . but don't wait for me! :)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #821
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,871
Yes, we're there Wed-Fri.
That might be good.

Or possibly Bum Steer.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #822
mvzeke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
new to Missoula

I am new to the area and finaly getting everything moved in and settled now that cold weather is here. Are there any decent trails that I could ride after work near stevensville? I have ridden up bass creek, 3 mile, 8 mile a ways, ambrose creek around to burnt fork via sawmill gulch/pass. I just don't want anything too gnarly if I am by myself. FS maps don't show a lot of open motorized trails around.
I am riding a xr650l, i have ridden some fairly tight trails in Washington at walker valley with this bike, but i am no mx racer for sure.

thanks
Nick
mvzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #823
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
I was out of town and I missed this... Is anything hapenning soon?
sasho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #824
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 462
WANSFEL is a good man to ride the river with, and he has lots of local info in your area. He'll chime in here for ya....

All the best,

Stovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvzeke View Post
I am new to the area and finaly getting everything moved in and settled now that cold weather is here. Are there any decent trails that I could ride after work near stevensville? I have ridden up bass creek, 3 mile, 8 mile a ways, ambrose creek around to burnt fork via sawmill gulch/pass. I just don't want anything too gnarly if I am by myself. FS maps don't show a lot of open motorized trails around.
I am riding a xr650l, i have ridden some fairly tight trails in Washington at walker valley with this bike, but i am no mx racer for sure.

thanks
Nick
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #825
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvzeke View Post

thanks
Nick
Nick,
You've mentioned most of the road based routes near Stevensville. If you go a bit further there are more routes. A bunch up US12 past Lolo, Graves ck, Fish ck, Wagon Mtn Rd, Elk Meadow. Once you go over Lolo Pass, you can go hundreds of miles until you see civilization again. Up 8 Mile take the Sluice ck road and you can connect to Missoula via Miller ck and I90 via Swartz ck.

I ran up Burnt Fork and over Sawmill to Ambrose today - 45 mile loop from the front door.

Not much single track opened real close.

Ron