Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #466
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfinn View Post
Here are my home brew racks that i'm working on right now (sorry about crappy pictures). Still need to finish welds and grind down, but you get a pretty good idea. Not sure yet if i'm going to tie them together or not, may come up from the rear mounts with a tie bar that would also be the front mount for top box. These are for Pelican 1520 cases, the case is ~1" larger on all the sides. I may end up fabricating a metal box that would fit in the left side "void". Cost of cases and steel $210

Damn nice job!! Wish i had the same skills set to make me some of those! Looking good!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #467
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Here are my home brew racks that i'm working on right now (sorry about crappy pictures). Still need to finish welds and grind down, but you get a pretty good idea. Not sure yet if i'm going to tie them together or not, may come up from the rear mounts with a tie bar that would also be the front mount for top box. These are for Pelican 1520 cases, the case is ~1" larger on all the sides. I may end up fabricating a metal box that would fit in the left side "void". Cost of cases and steel $210

DAMN!!!!!! Those are BEEFY!!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #468
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Damn nice job!! Wish i had the same skills set to make me some of those! Looking good!
+1

I truly envy folks with the skill and access to equipment to do this kind of thing.

Great work
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #469
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 318
Question

Hey all... Been keeping an eye on this thread... I have a question about soft luggage vs. hard panniers.

How do you handle security with soft luggage? I'm going to be taking a longer trip than I've done before, and I'm going to add side cases or luggage. I was kind of set on Wolfman, but then realized I will be riding through Mexico and security may be an issue.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #470
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Hey all... Been keeping an eye on this thread... I have a question about soft luggage vs. hard panniers.

How do you handle security with soft luggage? I'm going to be taking a longer trip than I've done before, and I'm going to add side cases or luggage. I was kind of set on Wolfman, but then realized I will be riding through Mexico and security may be an issue.
I have the Wolfman Rocky Mountains with a Holan 46L locking top box. I put the valuables in the top box, and then, if you must, the side bags can be easily detached and carried with you. You can't really use a luggage lock with the Wolfman bags, so that's out. If you're not 2-up, then the top box has room for 1 helmet and a jacket stuffed in the top box. Best of both worlds. You can put the big straps for the side bags under the seat so they can't be undone. It's as secure as a convertible car. Put your valuables in the trunk.
btao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #471
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
I have the Wolfman Rocky Mountains with a Holan 46L locking top box. I put the valuables in the top box, and then, if you must, the side bags can be easily detached and carried with you. You can't really use a luggage lock with the Wolfman bags, so that's out. If you're not 2-up, then the top box has room for 1 helmet and a jacket stuffed in the top box. Best of both worlds. You can put the big straps for the side bags under the seat so they can't be undone. It's as secure as a convertible car. Put your valuables in the trunk.
Good input, thank you. The security issue was kind of the last issue for me. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with some Wolfman or Adventure Spec bags. I think they probably offer enough security. I also have a Givi Trekker top box, so I think I'll be good to go. I kinda feel like if someone is a determined thief, they'll get a hold of your stuff no matter what.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #472
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
How do you handle security with soft luggage?

Mostly martial arts but if that fails, a tire iron
Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #473
Beachfinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
DAMN!!!!!! Those are BEEFY!!!
I lack engineering degree, so i tend to over engineer
Beachfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #474
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Quote:
I lack engineering degree, so i tend to over engineer
...Nor the debt, good for you!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #475
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Mostly martial arts but if that fails, a tire iron
Hahaha, excellent!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #476
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Just put Touratech on mine. Like them a lot.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #477
Beachfinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
DIY Racks with Pelicans

Final Product:
These came out pretty good, after installing the top brace, they are quite solid, though have slight "give" because of the soft steel. I still have to grind down the ribs, where the cases meet the racks, since i used 1/8" too short bolts (like to get a washer under the nut).

Rear view, the cross bar will be the front mount for the top box

The mount bracket inside the cases. This still needs to be cleaned up and painted. There are three welded bolts on the angle, that go through the racks and bolt up.

Front view:

and the pretty side view:

Hope this inspires others to go DIY route, total material costs ~$240, including the Pelicans. I still have enough metal for the top box mounts and have a spare 1510 Pelican i'm going to use for it.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #478
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Final Product:
These came out pretty good, after installing the top brace, they are quite solid, though have slight "give" because of the soft steel. I still have to grind down the ribs, where the cases meet the racks, since i used 1/8" too short bolts (like to get a washer under the nut).

Rear view, the cross bar will be the front mount for the top box

The mount bracket inside the cases. This still needs to be cleaned up and painted. There are three welded bolts on the angle, that go through the racks and bolt up.

Front view:

and the pretty side view:

Hope this inspires others to go DIY route, total material costs ~$240, including the Pelicans. I still have enough metal for the top box mounts and have a spare 1510 Pelican i'm going to use for it.
i doubt i will be able to make the rack... but i will certainly steal your idea for mount inside the case! Thank you!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #479
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone with the SW-MOTECH EVO side rack, does the rack alone (without luggage) does the rack stick out enough to protect the passenger foot peg in the event of a fall?

I was parking today and slipped on some wet leaves and laid her down. Nothing serious but a little scuff on the passenger peg. I am worried that if i was going a little faster, it might have done some serious damage. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #480
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Came out great Beach!