Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #4501
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247

Since i do not own the bike and don't know exactly how it looks (from the images i cant understand much). The only flaw i see is the ram airs when driving in water which would suck water in.

Still , in one of your links i read the following sentece:

Quote:
The filter box has a groove fro the filter to seal, but not at the bottom of airbox. There is just rubber of filter against plastic of box. There is no slot for it to make a 100% seal.
Where is this groove located? Is this hole needed? I mean how can the airbox have extra holes when the intake is from the front.

Sorry for my ignorance but as i said i don't have a clear image in my mind yet how the system looks like.

Indeed every ram air is kind of weak when driving in heavy rain. I know this from my CBR. I had to drive once in a really heavy rain. The ram air suck so much water which stuck on the filter chocking the engine as there was no air flowing in anymore.
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #4502
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Since i do not own the bike and don't know exactly how it looks (from the images i cant understand much).
I don't own it either.
The problem with that intake is that it has no place on an adventure bike that is supposed to do water crossings (entering water streams at some speed, causing splashes), get into mud, dust etc. That is supposed to survive unpredictable conditions involving the elements.

I can see its point on a superbike, but when this type of design is known to be weak even in the case of heavy rain, how can someone put it on an Adventure bike is beyond me.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #4503
jj_pt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Cheers, my order is complete.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #4504
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
I don't own it either.
The problem with that intake is that it has no place on an adventure bike that is supposed to do water crossings (entering water streams at some speed, causing splashes), get into mud, dust etc. That is supposed to survive unpredictable conditions involving the elements.

I can see its point on a superbike, but when this type of design is known to be weak even in the case of heavy rain, how can someone put it on an Adventure bike is beyond me.

I totally agree !
Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #4505
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I totally agree !
I own one, and I agree.
The air scoops are up much higher than a dirt bike filter mounted on the side, and water that gets into the airbox through the filter has to be a lot to get into the intakes. So you wont drown this bike easily... but it is a huge pain if you do a deep river crossing and then want to make sure everything is dry. A dirt bike, 2 screws and wring out the filter. The 1190, the tank needs to come off.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #4506
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
The Unifilter kit sounds like a good solution to the dust issues, but I worry that air has to pass through three separate filters and will be restricted. Also, what happens if the sock like filters on the intakes get water in them and choke the supply of air to the box.

I had a single Unifilter pre-filter on the Tiger XC and it did a great job of keeping crap out of the primary though.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #4507
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
The Unifilter kit sounds like a good solution to the dust issues, but I worry that air has to pass through three separate filters and will be restricted. Also, what happens if the sock like filters on the intakes get water in them and choke the supply of air to the box.

I had a single Unifilter pre-filter on the Tiger XC and it did a great job of keeping crap out of the primary though.

Why 3 filters? Don't the ram air go direct to the Unifilter ? Where are the other filters ?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #4508
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
The Unifilter kit has two snorkel prefilters as first barrier before the main filter element.

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #4509
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
The prefilters are a course foam that will not stop much dust, but will stop heavier particles getting in.
There are two filters to stop the dust placed where the stock filter was.

UniFilter claim their system was designed to flow the same amount of air as the stock filter.

I think there is a lot of over reaction going on here.
Yes, if you did a deep water crossing where the intakes went under, you would get water in the airbox.
Yes, if you did drown it, you would need to spend a bit longer taking the extra stuff off to get to it.

But how many of you will actually try to do deep water crossings on one?
Seriously?
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #4510
Hoologan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I got to demo a standard 1190 at MPC in Roseville, CA this weekend.

Holy Shit. Do want.

That is all.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #4511
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,316
Factory warranty

What is Ktm offering with this bike warranty wise . I can't find the info in the states yet .

Thanx
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #4512
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Seriously?
No idea how many, but I know I will. So I'll have to think at that moment of some device keep water out of the front intake (snorkel maybe ? :) ) because the idea of permanent paranoia when crossing streams is not appealing.

I agree that the subject is being discussed a bit too much (guilty me), and I say that mainly because this won't make a difference: the bike is how it is and that's it.

Still sad to see design done like this, and with such results.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #4513
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
I'm in the waiting/evaluation process to buy an 1190 R - and seriously hope KTM can fix this airfilter box design flaw. Reports of broken engines are popping up, so this is a serious design issue.

Personally I won't consider this bike before the problem is fixed by an official policy and statement from KTM.

I love the design, engine specs etc., but a Norwegian bike - not particularly exposed to desert conditions here in colder Scandinavia - has been returned to the dealership with a broken engine caused by faulty air filter box.

The owner promptly opted for a 990 Adv replacement bike instead, and awaits the KTM fix to be announced and proven to work before he will consider the 1190 again.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #4514
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
Recently sent by my dealer. Free of charge.

I haven't fitted it as I already have the UniFilter.

PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #4515
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
The prefilters are a course foam that will not stop much dust, but will stop heavier particles getting in.
There are two filters to stop the dust placed where the stock filter was.

UniFilter claim their system was designed to flow the same amount of air as the stock filter.

I think there is a lot of over reaction going on here.
Yes, if you did a deep water crossing where the intakes went under, you would get water in the airbox.
Yes, if you did drown it, you would need to spend a bit longer taking the extra stuff off to get to it.

Seriously?
Agree, as i hope you also agree that the airbox should be sealed better :)
Dust can do a lot of harm to a running engine. And guess who is going to pay the price after 2-3 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
I'm in the waiting/evaluation process to buy an 1190 R - and seriously hope KTM can fix this airfilter box design flaw. Reports of broken engines are popping up, so this is a serious design issue.

Personally I won't consider this bike before the problem is fixed by an official policy and statement from KTM.

I love the design, engine specs etc., but a Norwegian bike - not particularly exposed to desert conditions here in colder Scandinavia - has been returned to the dealership with a broken engine caused by faulty air filter box.

The owner promptly opted for a 990 Adv replacement bike instead, and awaits the KTM fix to be announced and proven to work before he will consider the 1190 again.
Well you can wait until mid Novermber about. Thats when KTM will announce the changes compared to 2013 and 2014 model .
Frankly talking i do not expect any changes except of the air filter and MSC unit.

From my side, i find it wise enough to wait what is going to be announced on November and if its worth waiting for the 2014 or getting 2013 model.