Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #167
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
We have been trying to tell ya. Glad you got it done and did not have any issues. You will love the pre filter too. I have never even cleaned my main filter yet, and I ride in as dusty conditions here in West Texas as there are anywhere.
Thanks! I'm surprised I didn't run into an issue. Seriously. Zero issues... Knock on wood....The install of everything went super smooth! I'm glad I got the pre filter skin as well. Should prove a good addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Yup - good stuff
Agreed! I rode the bike again today. Holy crap! It pulls hard from 3,000 to 5,000 RPM's now, an RPM range that was a bit weak prior. And 5,000 and above? Crazy power. Not to mention the smoothness in power delivery now. I really can't believe I was hung up on the install actually. It wasn't that bad at all and the benefits FAR outweigh the install effort.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #168
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,374
Man I can't wait! Mine is finally buttoned up-no pix, I got lax as I fell farther and farther behind and waned to get it running again-and waiting for fuel to do the remap and 15 min idle tonight; finally, a ride! (If I'm not back at work again...)

I was surprised when I got it started and it really doesn't seem that much louder than stock just sitting in the garage....

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #169
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
To truly appreciate the new intake sound you need to hold the throttle wide open and let the RPM climb ;-)

Moto-Treks
Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #170
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Minor but related threadjack...

Dog house after 15 min idle post remap....

Lots of variables here; it's been idling 15 mins with the seat off. No air circulation other than the rad fans at most. Idle, though, so the engine's gonna make less heat than it might wound out. Seat off, so no heat being trapped by the seat. Plus, thermometers like this one don't really like shiny stuff, and tend to underestimate the actual temperature. The temp on the matte-finished outside surface facing the seat was 145 but a lot of hot air runs up by that spot and I wasn't sure I wasn't seeing the air temp.

Short answer I guess would be to think carefully about what you'd want to put here, and maybe give whatever that ends up being a good once over every so often.

SA
Old 10-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #171
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 712
Bit hot for a pie and sauce !
Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #172
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
It's completely realistic and normal that the temp inside that box would be 130 degrees F after a 15 minute idle with no air movement.

My guess is that on the road that temp will be more like 90 degrees F......with the wind in its sails ya know.

What was the standing air temp when you did the 15 min idle?... Also a factor.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Doghouse. Given its obvious position in relation to the engine I would store tools, tire repair kit, or maybe my MSR backpacking stove in there.... in other words, metal items or items that aren't harmed by 90-100 degree heat. With the tools and other metal objects that one carries on an adventure bike this is still a great addition to the 990.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #173
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
It's completely realistic and normal that the temp inside that box would be 130 degrees F after a 15 minute idle with no air movement.

My guess is that on the road that temp will be more like 90 degrees F......with the wind in its sails ya know.

What was the standing air temp when you did the 15 min idle?... Also a factor.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Doghouse. Given its obvious position in relation to the engine I would store tools, tire repair kit, or maybe my MSR backpacking stove in there.... in other words, metal items or items that aren't harmed by 90-100 degree heat. With the tools and other metal objects that one carries on an adventure bike this is still a great addition to the 990.

Just to be clear, no criticism was intended, implied or otherwise. Of COURSE it's gonna be hot in there; I was curious just HOW hot. ambient air temp was 51 f during the test.

As noted, there's too many variables for this to be any more than just an isolated data point. I know the fan runs a lot more in traffic than it does during the 15 min idle; not sure how that translates into doghouse temp. Also, doghouse was open during the idle, rather than "sealed" by the seat....really no clue on this.

It's useful space for sure and it'll be staying right where it is for the foreseeable future!

===

That said, I loaded a power-tripp/cpr "fusion" map today and went for a ride. I didn't get to really wring it out due to the type of ride, but I can definitively say that the snatchy throttle at small throttle percentages is improved significantly; it seems quite strong on top and happy to rev. Since the ride was 50% dirt with a total novice rider on a dr650, and I had my 9-year-old daughter on the back, this was a great test for the snatchy slow speed throttle. Plus, I'm SURE I got like 90 mpg....

I'm hoping to get the bike on a dyno with basic exhaust gas analysis in a couple of weeks, but no promises. Life keeps getting in the way. That said, this map feels really, really good. No lean surges, smooth response everywhere, happy to roll on and pull at pretty much any RPM/throttle percent that I've tried. Early days yet, but feels GREAT.

Rottie Intake
Gray filter skin
2-2 FMF

FWIW,

SA
Old 10-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #174
556baller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Burrito cooker...
556baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #175
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556baller View Post
Burrito cooker...
Thats what I'm thinking. Egg in the morning, beans at night

Moto-Treks
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #176
BMacW650

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Thats what I'm thinking. Egg in the morning, beans at night
Haha, Crack a few raw eggs, salt and pepper. Go for a ride then you get scrambled eggs.

Kidding aside. I haven't put anything in mine yet, but it just looks fucking cool on the bike.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #177
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Haha, Crack a few raw eggs, salt and pepper. Go for a ride then you get scrambled eggs.

Kidding aside. I haven't put anything in mine yet, but it just looks fucking cool on the bike.
Could be a good glove dryer when it's wet out.

I've not figured out what to put in there either. Maybe tools. It does make a good parts holder when working on the bike

Moto-Treks
Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #178
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Ice cream bad,... burritos good...

Rubber is okay, we put spare front and rear stock tubes in ours. They get way hotter in your rear tire than in the Dog House. We had a small bottle of Blaze visor cleaner wrapped up in a towel that bloated a little. That's about the worst we have seen. That stuff sucks anyway...
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #179
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Recieved the CPR stuff today and started looking at installing it but have a few questions?

Says there should be brass bolts with the blanking plates to plug something ....what? And there are no brass bolts:

Is it this intake thing that is supposed to be plugged?

Wont it be better to just plug the hose and keep it to balance things?

Before starting:

Sadly did not have time to finish it all but getting there, filter temporary in place to keep things from falling into the engine:

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #180
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Recieved the CPR stuff today and started looking at installing it but have a few questions?

Says there should be brass bolts with the blanking plates to plug something ....what? And there are no brass bolts:

Is it this intake thing that is supposed to be plugged?

Wont it be better to just plug the hose and keep it to balance things?

Before starting:

Sadly did not have time to finish it all but getting there, filter temporary in place to keep things from falling into the engine:

/Johan
We changed the brass bolts for the black ones and those plug only two nipples that are connected to the canister. NOT the devise pictured. Leave that where it is. The stock bolts are re used and the black bolts go in the right rear TB and left front TB. KTM has been known to change things up so go with the canister lines like said above. Our Super Duke is like what we just explained and our Adventure is not in front of us but it is likely to be the same.
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote