User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
renogeorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
I am talking about the good dirt road shown on my maps connecting to 108/Pickle Meadows. From the north, coming off of 395, take the left at the first fork and continuing south across Lost Canon Creek and on into the trees. As I noted, I have never seen the piece between the closure coming from the north and from Pickle Meadows to the south. If I provided bad info--sorry about that.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
rtguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I don't have any tracks south of 108 at the Marine base. That is all private.

I do have a track (we call it Huntoon) west of 395 that starts just north of the Buckeye road and comes out on the little Walker road. There are no gates coming from the Bridgeport end but you go out a typical barbed wire gate that has a sign on the road side.

There is also a trail from the back of the marine base (just ride thru the guard gate and point to the forest) with no gates or signs that comes on the Mill creek road.
You have track south of 108 west of 395 it was on your SMTS North Nov 08 gpx file. Looked like a great track but was gated. It's still on gpsXchange.com for download. The track known as Rt5 7wa goes from 108 to mono lake.
rtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,701
Summit Mdw area

These are tracks of road and trails I have ridden plus one hand drawn one I have not.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Summit Mdw.gpx (630.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
rtguy
Adventurer

Quote:
These are tracks of road and trails I have ridden plus one hand drawn one I have not.
The 04-oct 07 track was the one reported closed, I personally did not inspect this but was told by riders in our group it was gated.

This may have been since the feds closed all camping area down for the winter even though it was the second week of September.

Maybe next year I will get out there and check this area out again very fun place to ride. Thanks for the tracks this area for sure needs to be rode more to keep it up and the overgrowth down.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
BSchu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
There has never been a road connecting Mill Cyn and the Marine Base?

There are two parallel trails; Mill and Lost (also shown as Emigrant on some maps).

There is also a single track connecting Summit Meadow and the top of Mill.

There is also a nice loop using two branches of the top of lost and an old log skid that we cut open a few years ago.
Did that loop a couple times this summer...even shot the shit about those trails with a riding marine, he said he would ride them to and from the base a few times a month for work duty. it gets use...its that darn sticker on the bottom of mill canyon that causes issues...
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtguy View Post
The 04-oct 07 track was the one reported closed, I personally did not inspect this but was told by riders in our group it was gated.

Thanks for the tracks this area for sure needs to be rode more to keep it up and the overgrowth down.
First I always ride it south to north but there is a very steep soft switch-back that way.
I haven't been on it in a few years but there were no signs or gates on the south end. Where you come out on Little Walker road, there have always been two wire cow gates no locks. It goes thru several Aspen groves so I am sure by now down trees need cutting.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchu View Post
it gets use...its that darn sticker on the bottom of mill canyon that causes issues...
Again I ride south to north and there are no signs that way.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
rtguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Again I ride south to north and there are no signs that way.
Well I guess your forcing me to have to ride it next year then, maybe we will have to do another group ride from Walker to Mammoth. Stay tuned for a ride report near you
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtguy View Post
Well I guess your forcing me to have to ride it next year then, maybe we will have to do another group ride from Walker to Mammoth. Stay tuned for a ride report near you
Nice loop is from Topaz to Mammoth on east side of 395 and back on west side.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
oldxr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Question for Countdown-was up at lobdel lake today (11-18-2013) .I came in from burcham flat rd.When I got to that spot at the base of the lake where the road branches out I took a hard right.made 2 creek xings and went south about 1 mile,The 2 track turned into a 1 track next to a creek and I could see some old cabins on the side of a hill about 2 or 3 miles away.There were knobby tracks on it from last weekend.I dont ride single track by my self-need a lighter bike.Have you rode this trail?
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Question for Countdown-was up at lobdel lake today (11-18-2013) .I came in from burcham flat rd.When I got to that spot at the base of the lake where the road branches out I took a hard right.made 2 creek xings and went south about 1 mile,The 2 track turned into a 1 track next to a creek and I could see some old cabins on the side of a hill about 2 or 3 miles away.There were knobby tracks on it from last weekend.I dont ride single track by my self-need a lighter bike.Have you rode this trail?
First, did you have GPS? post track on Layin' down tracks. If not GET one.
At first I thought you could be talking about Swauger Canyon that goes back to 395. But now I think, it is old trail that FS closed years ago, had closed sign but it was very old and probably gone now. I think Deep Creek, not sure where it comes out I have not taken it but will next spring.

Looking at Deep Creek, looks like there needs to be a trail in it that cwould ome out about 1 Mi south Mt Pat. on the main road.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
oldxr
Studly Adventurer

Here is my lame track-road follows the creek.Mucho knobby tracks that were very fresh.Track runs southeast from the lake in grey.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 20131118.gpx (147.7 KB, 21 views)

oldxr screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 07:26 PM Reason: added content
Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
oldxr
Studly Adventurer

The trail
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Here is my lame track-road follows the creek.Mucho knobby tracks that were very fresh.Track runs southeast from the lake in grey.
I see you did try Swauger just as far as I did but I think it goes thru but I would carry a hand saw.

I also did the road east of the lake that dead ends, thought I could get around lake on that side.

Yes you are talking Deep Creek. I will ask friend who rode every thing before closure and also in winter on snowmobile.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
oldxr
Studly Adventurer

Miners cabins on the hill at the end of the single track