ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #12811
viducce
Island Explorer
 
viducce's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hsinchu City, Taiwan
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
Are those rims the regular Excel rims?

As far as I could see the the "normal" Excel Gold looks much more orange.

So is Excel making now less orange or is it just the quality/color of the picture?

Also what size rims are the rear? 3.50?

Hi A-Wind,

They are regular Excel rims as far as I know, yes the rear is a 3.50 rim.
Actually they really look golden, check another pic taken indoors.
Spec on the rim says: J17M/C x MT 3.50 DOT, 405 JAPAN 409

I'm running a 140/80 17 on it, want to try a 150 next time if clearance allows it.



viducce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #12812
tserts
Praise San Irritrack
 
tserts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Yunanistan (Stans baby!)
Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
How did you find that? When I google "Africa twin sold in Japan" I only get a Japanese porn clip with two black twins, I need to turn personalized search off....
__________________
BMW F 800 GS 2010 - My Brunhilde
New toys to brake!
Road Rush (Romania, Serbia)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #12813
mechahayai
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: CO
Oddometer: 144
Nice. I like the "Group - Offroad/Tourer" description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
Wow..the Japanese Yen is strong. Ok...it only has 5,000 kms.
1,098,000.00 JPY=11,130.14 USD


http://www.goobike.com/cgi-bin/searc...50B30130923003+
mechahayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #12814
mechahayai
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: CO
Oddometer: 144
Who did your hubs and how do you keep from scratching the finish when you change tires? I'd like to get a set made up in black, but I'm afraid I'll just destroy the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viducce View Post
Hi A-Wind,

They are regular Excel rims as far as I know, yes the rear is a 3.50 rim.
Actually they really look golden, check another pic taken indoors.
Spec on the rim says: J17M/C x MT 3.50 DOT, 405 JAPAN 409

I'm running a 140/80 17 on it, want to try a 150 next time if clearance allows it.



mechahayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #12815
tattewell
Mad Poser
 
tattewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Petawawa Ontario
Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
How did you find that? When I google "Africa twin sold in Japan" I only get a Japanese porn clip with two black twins, I need to turn personalized search off....
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #12816
viducce
Island Explorer
 
viducce's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hsinchu City, Taiwan
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
How did you find that? When I google "Africa twin sold in Japan" I only get a Japanese porn clip with two black twins, I need to turn personalized search off....
Hi,

just check here...

http://www.goobike.com/bike/honda__a...n/summary.html

cheers
viducce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #12817
viducce
Island Explorer
 
viducce's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Hsinchu City, Taiwan
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechahayai View Post
Who did your hubs and how do you keep from scratching the finish when you change tires? I'd like to get a set made up in black, but I'm afraid I'll just destroy the finish.
Hi there,

well I'd have to ask the shop where they changed the tires, but I think that usually the tire shops are quite professional and have funded knowledge how to prevent any damage.

I believe the Excel rims are anodized so I assume that this finish is quite tough. I wouldn't worry to much about the tire change, going offroad could potentially produce greater damage.
Anyway Excel rims are made for M/C so they can take some punishment, that's what they are made for.

The AT was already set up like this when I bought it. I do not know where the original owner had the hubs painted, but they look great.

In case you decide to go for it, below you find the rims details which are engraved in each rim:

Front: J21 x 1.85 DOT, 402 JAPAN 510
Rear: J17 M/C x MT 3.50 DOT, 405 JAPAN 409

Cheers
viducce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #12818
GSPD750
Adventurer
 
GSPD750's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
How did you find that? When I google "Africa twin sold in Japan" I only get a Japanese porn clip with two black twins, I need to turn personalized search off....
You can do a search here at Goobike..

http://www.goobike.com/index.html

If you enter 'Transalp' (it does not like model #'s) in the white search box only xl700's and xl400's come up. I'm assuming Japan never got the xl600v or the xl650 even though they were built there. Is that right...anyone know for sure?
__________________
1999 XRV 750 Africa Twin
1996 XL 600v Transalp
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #12819
Albimitrax
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 1
Hello I come from are Alberto Turin (ITALY) and I'm part of the Motoclub Africa Twin Italy, and here's my bike (Gilles LALAY replica of Paris - Alger - Dakar 1988).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Albimitrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #12820
ROYMACNIC
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 61
A driech (misty/wet) day in Scotland,Africa Twin is always fun to ride though!
__________________
Roymacnic
ROYMACNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #12821
raulghe
V-master
 
raulghe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Rasnov ROMANIA
Oddometer: 24
Cool2

Africa Twin with custom alloy rims made by myself. 19" front and 17" rear. The front one is from vstrom and the rear one from cbr f3. and I will add new tyres, karoo 3, dimensions 110/80-19 and 170/60-17.

What do you think about this mod?



raulghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #12822
GSPD750
Adventurer
 
GSPD750's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by raulghe View Post
Africa Twin with custom alloy rims made by myself. 19" front and 17" rear. The front one is from vstrom and the rear one from cbr f3. and I will add new tyres, karoo 3, dimensions 110/80-19 and 170/60-17.

What do you think about this mod?


Cool and different. Funny how the v-strom guys would die for spoked rims.
__________________
1999 XRV 750 Africa Twin
1996 XL 600v Transalp
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #12823
GSPD750
Adventurer
 
GSPD750's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albimitrax View Post
Hello I come from are Alberto Turin (ITALY) and I'm part of the Motoclub Africa Twin Italy, and here's my bike (Gilles LALAY replica of Paris - Alger - Dakar 1988).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Welcome. Very nice...
__________________
1999 XRV 750 Africa Twin
1996 XL 600v Transalp
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #12824
GSPD750
Adventurer
 
GSPD750's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYMACNIC View Post
A driech (misty/wet) day in Scotland,Africa Twin is always fun to ride though!
Those look like slippery slopes. My son came back from Scotland recently and had alot of good things to say. Someday I'll visit that big island...hopefully on a m'cycle.
__________________
1999 XRV 750 Africa Twin
1996 XL 600v Transalp
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #12825
ROYMACNIC
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
Those look like slippery slopes. My son came back from Scotland recently and had alot of good things to say. Someday I'll visit that big island...hopefully on a m'cycle.
I'm sure you'll love it if you come here,it is a great place to ride a motorcycle,we even get sunshine! ...some years!
__________________
Roymacnic
ROYMACNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014