ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #25786
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Now that is a GS

It's like a mullet Business in the front party in that back
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #25787
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Help.....
I have a new TKC knobbie tire from Jake Wilson. I have a used "new to me" spoked wheel from someone on ADV. The tire and wheel have been balanced twice. One of the two are out of round. Nothing visible on the wheel.

I need advise on how to determine the problem.

I have a brand new Anakee 3. I can take the TKC off the spoked wheel and try the Anakee. If the vibration goes away its the TKC. Any other advise?

Anyone know of someone local who can "true" a spoke wheel if that's the issue?
Pull the axel run it through the wheel and set on a pair of jack stands. Check the radial run out with a straight edge against the tire tread. If the tire is out of round you will have a high spot somewhere.

Then rotate the straight edge 90 degrees against the side wall and check trueness of the rim. If you have wobble there you will need to true the wheel by re-tensioning the spokes. If thoses are Woody's wheels they should come to you already trued.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #25788
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Hey DirtMonkey, is there still room for me now that your friend is coming or should I be hooking up with Eddy?
No problem. Still room.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #25789
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Help.....
I have a new TKC knobbie tire from Jake Wilson. I have a used "new to me" spoked wheel from someone on ADV. The tire and wheel have been balanced twice. One of the two are out of round. Nothing visible on the wheel.

I have a brand new Anakee 3. I can take the TKC off the spoked wheel and try the Anakee. If the vibration goes away its the TKC. Any other advise?

For balance ~ I prefer the Dyna Beads style internal self balance. Re-balances each time you start and stop (using laws of physics) and does a great job of masking defects.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #25790
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Hey Jeff, that weekend will the my last weekend in Virginia. If I haven't made myself too much of an outcast in your eyes I'm thinking it would be a cool way to finish off my stay here. My buddy who posts here sometimes under Sank might be willing to come too if we can work it out in our schedules.

What do you think? The people I've ridden with before would probably tell you that I don't start any trouble.

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #25791
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Help.....

A quick way to check if the rim is true is to use a piece of heavy gauge bare copper wire clamped to, or wrapped around, the fork tube with the end near the side of the rim. Give the wheel a spin and you'll see immediately if it's true or not. I would hope it's not the new TKC but it could be internal on the tire (plys messed up) and not visible.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #25792
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Great to finally put a name, with a face, with a bike.

Jeff's place is an awesome get away. I'm not sure my wife could ever drag me back to civilization if I had a place like that to escape to.

Great riding with you guys and we could not have asked for more beautiful weather.

Long day ~ great ride! (300+ in the Tahoe 100+ on the bike).

Sorry no better pics were were riding...

Typical, what's my son doing in the photo? Yep, texting on his phone.

It was great to meet you guys!
Had a fun ride today! Way better that being at work. No dust and a few easy water crossings. I think we're ready for the Poor Mans 500.

Jeff, I'm in but Brandon is out.

RB
RimBenty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #25793
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 933
Wheel

Thanks Guys......
Lots of good advise. I'll let you know what I find.

I can't wait to get back in the dirt and try the new set up. I have been missing all the fun.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #25794
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Thanks Guys......
Lots of good advise. I'll let you know what I find.
you don't have to take the wheel off the bike to check for runout, just stabilize the bars with the wheel off the ground, give it a spin. use the eraser end of a #2 pencil (no need to scratch the wheel) with the pencil on a firm support. the runout spec is 1.5mm, doesn't seem like much, but you'll see it if it's there. check both sides for lateral, then round. you can check the tire while you're at it.

i suppose it's possible, but after over a dozen TKCs, i haven't seen a defective tire. never bothered to balance one either.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #25795
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Now that's the ugliest Gold Wing I have ever seen!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #25796
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 933
Goldwing

Quote:
Eddy Alvarez Now that's the ugliest Gold Wing I have ever seen!
Don't make me post a photo of my GL1800. With the new suspension it loves the twisties and it goes really fast when I wake up those six cylinders.

Work called and said take the rest of the week off. I don't go back until Monday. If anyone has some time off and wants to get out let me know.

skychs screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 06:32 AM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #25797
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Hey Jeff, that weekend will the my last weekend in Virginia. If I haven't made myself too much of an outcast in your eyes I'm thinking it would be a cool way to finish off my stay here. My buddy who posts here sometimes under Sank might be willing to come too if we can work it out in our schedules.

What do you think? The people I've ridden with before would probably tell you that I don't start any trouble.

Cheers!
Bastard, since you've always been open and honest with your feelings, I will honor you with the same. I understand your emotions and applaud your need to change the world, but your oftentimes lack of social courtesy in forums troubles me. I don't think I care to have to endure that in person. So I would prefer it if you didn't come to my place on your last weekend in Richmond. Thank you for asking.

I've ridden in the Pacific Northwet with the DS crowd up there. Been to Seattle many times. You will love it there and fit in perfectly. I wish you the best.

Namaste'

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #25798
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
For balance ~ I prefer the Dyna Beads style internal self balance. Re-balances each time you start and stop (using laws of physics) and does a great job of masking defects.

I am glad to see you have had good experience with the Dyna Beads. I gave those a go on my last set of K60 sports. I was never able to get a good high speed (80mph) smooth ride. I could always feel some vibration. I even doubled the quantity of beads to no effect.

While I was on my TAT trip I noticed a rhythmic vibration and decided to pull over at a tire shop and change out the beads for conventional balance on a spin balancer. After that switch, it was smooth as glass.

For me the Dyna Beads are a no-go.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #25799
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Right on brother. It's your party after all. The old lady didn't seem to like the idea of riding so far so close to the move date when I brought it up so it might be for the best. No hard feelings. I don't feel like I was the one who instigated any harsh words here, but I will respond. I caught some really nasty vibes from some people for asking some (what I thought were) legit questions. We can skirt around confronting the decay and harsh realities in society for a little while but eventually the issues will present themselves on their own terms and there will be no more avoiding it. But hey, to each their own! It just worries me to see folks standing around patting each other on the back while the ship is taking on water. I think we can all see that things are headed in the wrong direction. Gee, I hope that wasn't too "political" a statement! ;)

I spent years on and off in Portland OR and fell in love with the area but Seattle will be all new for me. Thanks for the well wishes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Bastard, since you've always been open and honest with your feelings, I will honor you with the same. I understand your emotions and applaud your need to change the world, but your oftentimes lack of social courtesy in forums troubles me. I don't think I care to have to endure that in person. So I would prefer it if you didn't come to my place on your last weekend in Richmond. Thank you for asking.

I've ridden in the Pacific Northwet with the DS crowd up there. Been to Seattle many times. You will love it there and fit in perfectly. I wish you the best.

Namaste'

jeff
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #25800
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
I am glad to see you have had good experience with the Dyna Beads. I gave those a go on my last set of K60 sports. I was never able to get a good high speed (80mph) smooth ride. I could always feel some vibration. I even doubled the quantity of beads to no effect.

While I was on my TAT trip I noticed a rhythmic vibration and decided to pull over at a tire shop and change out the beads for conventional balance on a spin balancer. After that switch, it was smooth as glass.

For me the Dyna Beads are a no-go.
I have beads in for about the last 2500 miles and it's the first time I've ever tried them. I must not be very sensitive to balance, because lead weights, beads and no balancing at all seem about the same to me. In fact I rarely balance my tires. Only tried these to make sure I wasn't missing something..

Here's a potential downside for us dual-sporters who do a lot of airing down and back up. At least twice and maybe 3 times since I've had the beads in - I've gone to air up/down and lost all my pressure because, I believe, a bead jammed the valve core. Once or twice in my garage and the last time in BFEgypt campground in TN. I couldn't clear that one and had to swap it out. Luckily I carry spares. Not the same valve either, one front one rear. could be a coincidence, but I blame the beads. ymmv.

ddlewis screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 10:20 AM
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote