Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Think I might give these a try after I wear on my K60s.
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterman View Post
I put on a set of Mitas E-07 Dakar's for a trip to Alaska this summer (7/3 to 8/10). I put about 8,100 miles on them during this trip. They have been the best tire I have used on my 1150GS. so far. The rear can probably go another 2000 miles or so. The front probably 3000. I was a little concerned with the the max tire pressure of only 33psi. But no problem the entire trip. I did notice a little uneven wear on the rear tire when I got to Alaska 12 days into the trip. Checked the air pressure and I was down to 24 psi.
@Shutterman - How heavily loaded was your GS? Did you run the max pressure of 33 psi? And do you think you forgot to air back up, or that the tire lost air over time?

I've been running K60s and all of the fronts I've had lost 1 psi of air every day or so, but not so on the rears. I run a pretty heavy load, so typically run 42 psi in the back and 36 in the front, which works well for the K60. Just wondering how the Mitas would fair at only 33 psi with my fat load. (full panniers, gal of water, 5 gal fuel cell, other crap, my fat ass, etc.)

Thanks!
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Dirty Bike,

Now I didn't get the mileage the OP got. My rear had just a little more tread at 4000 miles. D2D from Anchorage and up to Inuvik and back was the first 2k miles. I had TKC80 front / E07 rear on a 06 Tiger 955i WAY overloaded, 42liter panniers plus 90 liter dry bag, and did just fine. They will be going on the Wasser Boxer I get sometime next year. Either way, they out dig, outlast, and almost out handle the TKC 80.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 797
@Drunk Uncle - Thanks for the input. The wife and I will be doing D2D in '14 as part of a big Alaska trip. I love the mileage of the K60, but the Mitas should dig a bit better w/o the center strip the K60 has. I will probably try a set and see how they work/last for me. The big boy sizes still kill $300+ with shipping down to the states, so about the same cost as the K60 for me.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Reading though this has me convinced to go with a E07 on the rear of my Stelvio but I'm not certain about the best pick for the front. I'd rather have a more "knobby" type front tire than the E07 front. I have a separate set of wheels for road use so this would be primarily for off-road given that I'd still be riding at least 100 miles to get to the dirt, quite frequently 2 up. I've got a set of Shinko 705s on it now.

I'm considering the following for a 110/80 - 19 size;

Mitas E10

TCK80

Scorpion Rally

Any comments or suggestions welcome. I'm new to putting knobby style tires on a big bike. I've run 606s for years on bikes like my DRZ.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Reading though this has me convinced to go with a E07 on the rear of my Stelvio but I'm not certain about the best pick for the front. I'd rather have a more "knobby" type front tire than the E07 front. I have a separate set of wheels for road use so this would be primarily for off-road given that I'd still be riding at least 100 miles to get to the dirt, quite frequently 2 up. I've got a set of Shinko 705s on it now.

Mitas E10

TCK80

Scorpion Rally

Any comments or suggestions welcome. I'm new to putting knobby style tires on a big bike. I've run 606s for years on bikes like my DRZ.

E07 front sucks off road.. E10 ot TKC80 my choice
Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #22
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
TKC is a proven front tire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

Mitas E10

TCK80

Scorpion Rally

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I wouldn't recommend the scorpion rally front. Mine cupped really badly within 2k miles and I tossed it at 2700. I might have been able to fiddle with pressures or something but as it was I was not impressed. I think the bigger blocks on the TKC make a big difference.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Thanks guys, there is almost overwhelming positive support for the TKC80 front tire so it seems I'd be nuts to not go with it.

It sure would be nice it Mitas started up a US distributor..... but I'm going jump through the hoops to give the E70 rear a try in the Stelvio.

I'm going to try a K60 scout on the rear of my KLR which in tbe 130/80-17 size has nearly the same tread pattern as the E70. I'm going TKC80 front on the KLR also.

I'll see how the rears compare.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #25
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,114
I have the E07's with the TKC 80's on my 750 Super Tenere.
A fantastic combo. couldn't be happier.
MX1 has been a great company to deal with. Prompt
and professional.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
call mx1 and they will help you out with anything you may need.

The e07's are not great in mud, but they never missed a beat on gravel, deep, loose whatever.

I'm on my second rear, and have two more in the garage, so i'm sold on them.

review here: http://thetenerist.wordpress.com/201...r-4-ply-tires/
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,701
Just wanted to give a quick update on my E07s. I've been trying to wear them out before winter sets in and the roads get salted, but its not an easy task! These are some seriously durable tires.
As I mentioned in my review they don't seem to warm up like a more street oriented tire does. With the temps falling here in the northeast, I've been riding in temps in the 40s and 50s. With the cool pavement and tires that don't get warm, I've actually been seeing the traction control light blinking at me quite regularly accelerating hard out of corners. I've also had the rear start to drift on tight corners under power. Nothing scary at all but these tires seem to be especially sensitive to temperature. I will be dialing down the wick with the colder temps so I don't get a taste of pavement.
Just thought I'd pass along some more info for those interested.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #28
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Just wanted to give a quick update on my E07s. I've been trying to wear them out before winter sets in and the roads get salted, but its not an easy task! These are some seriously durable tires.
As I mentioned in my review they don't seem to warm up like a more street oriented tire does. With the temps falling here in the northeast, I've been riding in temps in the 40s and 50s. With the cool pavement and tires that don't get warm, I've actually been seeing the traction control light blinking at me quite regularly accelerating hard out of corners. I've also had the rear start to drift on tight corners under power. Nothing scary at all but these tires seem to be especially sensitive to temperature. I will be dialing down the wick with the colder temps so I don't get a taste of pavement.
Just thought I'd pass along some more info for those interested.
Thanks for this info - just got my rear EO7 from MX1 on Friday - a TKC 80 for my front from Revzilla - both replacing Anakee 2s. I'm heading to Death Valley in two weeks!
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
MarylandStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I am sure many have seen this, but it appears a batch of these tires were faulty last year. It appears they have fixed the issue for 2013, but here you go:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mi...res-53306.html

Now, a motorcycle tire recall is one thing we just don't get to hear too often, and we're glad it's this way. However, Czech manufacturer Mitas issued a recall for 1,752 E-07 tires manufactured between January 2011 and November 2012.

Mitas discovered that these tires could suddenly lose pressure when used in extreme conditions, with no details being given on whether the incident causes severe consequences. While most tires have been sold in Europe, there are reports that the Mitas E-07 affected by this recall are also to be found in the US, Canada and some more countries.

The recalled tires have DOT codes ranging from 0111 through to 4812, and belong to three series:
  • 110/80-19 M/C 59T E-07 TL MI
  • 100/90-19 M/C 57T E-07 TL MI
  • 110/80-19 M/C 59T E-07 DAKAR TL MI
Customers having these tires installed on their motorcycles are advised to contact the point of purchase and discuss on replacement options. Mitas declares that new, improved E-07 tires will be available in dealerships staring February 2013.

Countries to which the faulty E-07 tires have been sold in are: Australia, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, UK, Ukraine, USA and Venezuela
MarylandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Any tires shipping out of Canada are the new and non leaky mitas.

order away.
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote