markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
The video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KOs5OEFJo0

No closeups though.

I'm pretty sure that was just pulled from the Icon video that was making the rounds a year or so ago.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #18782
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I'm pretty sure that was just pulled from the Icon video that was making the rounds a year or so ago.

--mark
That's what I kept saying to myself, but it's posted a bunch of times as the 2014.... who knows.... can't tell anything anyways.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #18783
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Agreed.

+1

That looks hideous.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #18784
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
With the exception of a redesign of the passenger pegs which clearly hasn't been addressed, the rest of the needed improvements to the XC are going to be largely not visible. It will be a shame if after 3 years of solid sales triumph didn't invest the small amount needed for those improvements. Guess we should know shortly if they put any effort into addressing those shortcomings.
This is what worries me a little with Triumph. I'm a Triumph guy through and through so I'm delighted with all the new models and model lines coming out but I just worry they have spread themselves a little too thinly so they can't make the required improvements to current models. Every model needs to be improved in some way, even one as magnificent as the 800XC
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #18785
btao
Pwned

I would imagine a redesign to the frame is a major change, not likely to occur in 3 years. Most model vehicles will have a lifespan of more than 3 years. Yes, there are a few things they could do to improve the bike, but for them to make money on it, it needs to be kept on the same platform for a long enough period of time to recoup the development costs and make a profit. How many Tiger owners are giving up their bikes and jumping ship? Not many, right? It was the highest value holder of their lineup. Every bike has room for improvement. I'd expect 5 years before a full redesign. Unfortunately... Right now, it's selling...
Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #18786
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
After extensive research prior to purchase it was clear that there would be a few things to address. Suspension was one that is high on my list. At the time of purchase it was a foregone conclusion that this would need to be considered part of my total cost.

The other issues, to me, are not as critical. With the bag mounts on I think the pillion pegs are strengthened and better protected. Other things can easily be modified or mitigated easy enough.

Hopefully Triumph will put the next revision out in a few years with more suspension adjustment on the front, a bolt on subframe and pillion pegs, and design an OEM skid plate that can support the weight of the bike with ties to the frame.

In the mean time my bike should be ready this week after its RaceTech makeover and I think it will be more than satisfactory for my needs once this mod is all dialed in for my weight and style of riding. The work was delayed a week because RT had the wrong part listed for the shock spring and it had to be re-ordered. Does this mean I'm the first XC owner to order a shock spring? Ready to have it back.

I've been without for nearly two weeks and the delirium tremors are starting, along with other signs of withdrawal.

A goal of mine is to have more than 25K miles on it when the warranty period is over. Then, run it to 100K or beyond if nothing else shiny catches my eye.

The red frame is striking, as is the red accent on the fairing trim, but it doesn't make me want it the way the red frame on a Ducati sets off that bike. A yellow frame and trim might have been a good accent color for the black body panels. Kinda making it a bumblebee, from Hell.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #18787
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
I would imagine a redesign to the frame is a major change, not likely to occur in 3 years. Most model vehicles will have a lifespan of more than 3 years. Yes, there are a few things they could do to improve the bike, but for them to make money on it, it needs to be kept on the same platform for a long enough period of time to recoup the development costs and make a profit. How many Tiger owners are giving up their bikes and jumping ship? Not many, right? It was the highest value holder of their lineup. Every bike has room for improvement. I'd expect 5 years before a full redesign. Unfortunately... Right now, it's selling...
There are actually quite a few for sale in the FM. Some by guys you would have thought wouldn't be so quick to give theirs up. Anyway, I don't think anyone was suggestion the bike have a new frame this year but there are several needed improvements that could have been done for minimal costs (suspension, stepper motor, gearing) that would have improved the bike measurably and with Yamaha rumored to be putting the triple into an "adv style"bike of similar cc triumph shouldn't be sitting on their thumbs.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #18788
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,814
Triumph Stunt Riding

Icon is at it again...

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #18789
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Icon is at it again...

That was fun!
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #18790
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
In the mean time my bike should be ready this week after its RaceTech makeover and I think it will be more than satisfactory for my needs once this mod is all dialed in for my weight and style of riding. The work was delayed a week because RT had the wrong part listed for the shock spring and it had to be re-ordered. Does this mean I'm the first XC owner to order a shock spring? Ready to have it back.
I had the problem changing my fork. I'll be making another 4 hour round trip to get this rectified. High time Racetech fixed that problem.
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #18791
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab bait View Post
I had the problem changing my fork. I'll be making another 4 hour round trip to get this rectified. High time Racetech fixed that problem.
Okay, so it was likely the fork springs. My guy wasn't specific, and I was assuming when he said spring (singular) that it was the shock.

Keeping fingers crossed that this will be rectified and I can pick up my bike tomorrow.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #18792
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Icon is at it again...

Dude's actually from BURQUE!!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #18793
btao
Pwned

The post-apocalyptic return of the black Tiger from Portland to Dakar:

Courtesy, of Icon.

Pretty cool.

Reminds me of Craig's bike from his round the world trip with Patty after it fell off the cliff and was resurrected. Just needs the paint job. Their grill is better too...
Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #18794
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Don't know if it is still there, but that beauty was sitting at Latus Motors in Gladstone, OR last month. Totally cool.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #18795
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Don't know if it is still there, but that beauty was sitting at Latus Motors in Gladstone, OR last month. Totally cool.
Makes me want to strip mine down and sandblast and rattle can it. Sure would hide a few of the blemishes she's somehow gotten. A lot cheaper than replacing plastic

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote