Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #7021
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortrider View Post
I second the K60, 11000 miles now. Starting to feel not so secure in tight turns at speed but still handle ok in the dirt. I do a 30 mile stretch everyday to work and back home of dirt, keeps me alert.
Thirded.

Best mileage I've gotten out of any tire I've put on the Stelvio since I've gotten it.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #7022
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I just got home from the Barber Vintage Festival.....
Me too but in my truck. Barber is a must do destination for anyone who loves motorcycles. I think I saw an example of every significant motorcycle in the last 60 years, and quite a few from earlier but I'm just not old enough to say 'I owned one of those'. The museum is...overload. I think they have 800 bikes on display but that's less than half the whole collection so they rotate the display constantly. They have about 300 bikes waiting for restoration. Oh, and the racing was neat too. I'm going back in '14.

Peter Y.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #7023
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Barber is a must do destination for anyone who loves motorcycles.
Man I loved to attend that event. I just love the vintage motorcycle scene and have attended some vintage bike racing here in CA.

The main problem for me is the distance. I looked it up and it's about 2,100 miles one way from me. Maybe if I flew out or had a couple weeks to make a road trip.

Maybe you guys can post up a few pix to make us jealous.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #7024
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

The second valve stem came in today so I picked them up over lunch.

I stopped by the local mega dealer and they had the Pilot Road 3 Trails in stock at near online prices so I bought a set. I will take the wheels in later this week to have them mounted. They were $357 OTD mounted & balanced off the bike.

I'm really looking forward to getting some good road tires back on the bike.

I'll probably run out the rear 705 on dirt rides then decide what to put on the wire wheels. I hear so much positive feed back on the K60s, we'll see. There's a few who don't care for the solid center rib on the rear for more dirt use, that was one reason I was considering the Mitas E70.

I'm tempted to try the Mitas E70/TKC80 combo on my KLR since it needs tires and see how they work there first.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #7025
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm tempted to try the Mitas E70/TKC80 combo on my KLR since it needs tires and see how they work there first.
I'm not sure if you would go with the 130 or 140 width for the KLR, but (as I'm sure you're already aware) the K60 in some of the sizes doesn't have the solid center rib.

The 130/80-17 might be a very close approximation to the performance of the Mitas.

(image from RevZilla)
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #7026
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I'm not sure if you would go with the 130 or 140 width for the KLR, but (as I'm sure you're already aware) the K60 in some of the sizes doesn't have the solid center rib.

The 130/80-17 might be a very close approximation to the performance of the Mitas.

(image from RevZilla)
Hmm, 130/80-17 is the right size for the KLR..... hmm...

I'd say bloody close. If you factor in shipping costs they are near to $10 of each other I think.

I think for the KLR it makes sense to go K60. For the Stelvio I'd have to go Mitas to not have the center rib. The mileage feedback from Mitas users is close to the K60s.

From the site:

"Over 20,000 km (12,427 miles) is not unheard of on this tire, with the average service life probably around 15,000 km (9320 miles)."

Still not sure on the front though, the TKC80 front gets such rave reviews dang near everywhere I'm feeling like I need to try one out on the KLR first. If I like it I think it will go on the front of the Stelvio for the wire wheels.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #7027
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Still not sure on the front though, the TKC80 front gets such rave reviews dang near everywhere I'm feeling like I need to try one out on the KLR first. If I like it I think it will go on the front of the Stelvio for the wire wheels.
The TKC80 front is a great tire. My last one had around 8000 miles on it when I changed it, and it probably could have gone a little further. It outlasted the combined lifetimes of a TKC80 rear and a Scorpion Rally rear. Good grip on dry pavement as well as gravel and dirt roads (and even the White Rim Trail).

Dicey on wet pavement, though, like most big bike knobbies.

(This is all firsthand experience on the Stelvio.)
Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #7028
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
[QUOTE=danketchpel;22561080]The second valve stem came in today so I picked them up over lunch.

I stopped by the local mega dealer and they had the Pilot Road 3 Trails in stock at near online prices so I bought a set. I will take the wheels in later this week to have them mounted. They were $357 OTD mounted & balanced off the bike.

I'm really looking forward to getting some good road tires back on the bike.

Let us know what you think of the PR3T's after you had a chance to get a few miles on them. Including how you feel they compare to the Scorpions that came on it. My cast wheels are sitting awaiting tires -- I like the handling of the Scorpions but not the wear so much.
Thanks !!

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #7029
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

(image from RevZilla)

I think it would depend on the mix of off road and on road and the type of off road you expect to do. More off road or rougher muddier I'd go with the more open design of the 130, more on road I'd go for the center ridge for better mileage and more quiet IMHO.

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #7030
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I think it would depend on the mix of off road and on road and the type of off road you expect to do. More off road or rougher muddier I'd go with the more open design of the 130, more on road I'd go for the center ridge for better mileage and more quiet IMHO.
That's my line of thinking also.

I plan to get the PR3 Trails mounted up today, I can't wait to try them out.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #7031
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
That's my line of thinking also.

I plan to get the PR3 Trails mounted up today, I can't wait to try them out.
My rear Conti TA came yesterday, and the front is due in today (no clue why they shipped separately). With luck and limited familius interruptus, I'll get them spooned on this weekend.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #7032
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,605
Looks like I'll get 5k miles from the rear K60 on my NTX. Maybe a bit more, but I don't expect to see 6k. You guys getting 10k+ must ride like little old ladies.

I've narrowed my misfiring problem down to a faulty O2 sensor on the right cylinder. I went ahead and ordered the full meal deal from Todd. I'll test ride it first with the reflashed CUP, then I'll try it with the wide band O2 sensors if they'll plug into the stock harness. Actually I might reverse that test order. Then I'll add the PCV and Autotune.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #7033
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Looks like I'll get 5k miles from the rear K60 on my NTX. Maybe a bit more, but I don't expect to see 6k. You guys getting 10k+ must ride like little old ladies.
I know that down here in Texas, I eat tires a lot faster than I did out in Colorado. The pavement composition is likely a bit different, given the differences in climate.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #7034
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post

I've narrowed my misfiring problem down to a faulty O2 sensor on the right cylinder. I went ahead and ordered the full meal deal from Todd. I'll test ride it first with the reflashed CUP, then I'll try it with the wide band O2 sensors if they'll plug into the stock harness. Actually I might reverse that test order. Then I'll add the PCV and Autotune.
If the computer is reflashed I do not understand why you even need the O2 sensors at all. Mine are deleted and I run open loop all the time with a re-flashed ECU. The barometric pressure sensor (built into the ECU) compensates for altitude, the other sensors compensate for temp and such. Todd's reflash gets wonderful reviews so I am sure all these changes add up to a better running motorcycle. I just do not understand why anything is needed beyond a re-flash if that re-flash is correct. Now, if the re-flash is off for some reason, the wide band sensors would correct for that but....well, you get the idea.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #7035
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
If the computer is reflashed I do not understand why you even need the O2 sensors at all. Mine are deleted and I run open loop all the time with a re-flashed ECU. The barometric pressure sensor (built into the ECU) compensates for altitude, the other sensors compensate for temp and such. Todd's reflash gets wonderful reviews so I am sure all these changes add up to a better running motorcycle. I just do not understand why anything is needed beyond a re-flash if that re-flash is correct. Now, if the re-flash is off for some reason, the wide band sensors would correct for that but....well, you get the idea.
I'm going to try the PCV along with the Autotune and wide band sensors so it'll run in closed loop almost all the time and under optimal fueling for the prevailing conditions. At least that's the plan. Stay tuned, my friend.