User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Grizzlybear OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
KTM 1190 Adventure fuelling problems

I am wondering if others are experiencing what is happening with my 1190 Adventure. Once the bike is ridden for an hour (or not even that) it seems to revert to a "limp mode" where it will not rev beyond around 6500rpm and the response at the throttle below this point is way down on normal. Trying to rev the bike out feels like a two stroke that wont rev into its power band because the jetting is up the creek.
I have had the bike back to the dealer twice now to have the electronics checked out but the problem persists. When I collected the bike yesterday (Fri Oct 10) the tech suggested that the fuel tank may be pressurising so today when the symptoms started I left the tank filler ajar but to no avail.

Up until today I have been thinking it may be heat related as the issue emerges when the outside temp gets over 30C and the oil temp exceeds 80 however today in coastal Qld was cooler with the air temp around 27-28 degrees C and the oil temp at the time I scrolled through the menu was 79 but the still the motor would not rev out to redline.

It does not seem to matter which mode is selected nor whether the MTC is switched off, the problem persists. To be fair, when the bike is ridden in normal street riding or even out on the highway at 110kph (as if a cop was on your tail) there is no problem as only small throttle openings are used and the bike is operating in the 4000 to 5000 rpm range. But open the taps and she's no go... very frustrating. So the question is, have others experienced this issue and what was the fix??? Dave

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
up2nogood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
A bit captain obvious, so if you have checked this/is irrelevant then disregard.
Air and fuel filters?
Doesn't sound like a sensor issue if no check lights are coming on.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Grizzlybear OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
A bit captain obvious, so if you have checked this/is irrelevant then disregard.
Air and fuel filters?
Doesn't sound like a sensor issue if no check lights are coming on.
Correct, there are no check lights coming on.

The problem is the bike works in the normal awesome way for the first half hour or so of riding, then goes into what is best described as a limp mode. Last Monday (Qld labour day) we covered about 500km where the bike performed all day at 'half power' then suddenly reverted to full power about half an hour from home at the end of the day after the day temps dropped. By this time it was about 5.30pm. I think it is reasonable to deduce that mechanical issues such as faulty or blocked air and fuel filters would have the bike performing poorly All the time.

Thanks for your opinion. Regardless, the bike will be going back to the dealer on Monday for the third time where I will suggest they investigate further starting with removing the tank to check that things have been assembled correctly and while they're it, throw in a new set of spark plugs. It feels like fuel starvation but it also could be spark. Hard to tell with all this modern electrickery.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,728
More info?

What is your miliage? do you suspect dirty fuel? is it on warranty? did they try new fuel filters?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,165
Totally same issue with my rc8...fuel filter all the way.
Mine had better power when fully tanked because of the pressure of gas were higher.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
fuel filter
same thing happened with brand new 690, skudge developed in the fuel filter left over from the manufacturing process and as the bike got up to temperature fuel was restricted. Dealer i took it to couldnt fix it because they didn't get it hot enough and couldn't replicate it. At any rate this was common
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
I think it is reasonable to deduce that mechanical issues such as faulty or blocked ..... fuel filters would have the bike performing poorly All the time..
no when the tank and fuel reach a certain temp which takes longer than the motor something expands in the filter
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
uluwatu06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
This is a very serious issue which i also encountered with my former RC8 R. It kills the riding pleasure totally!
uluwatu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Grizzlybear OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the responses. The fuel filter issue makes most sense so the question must be asked of you who had this issue, did the fitting of a fuel filter put an end to the problem?

I am taking the bike back to the dealer this afternoon. On all previous visits they have not been able to replicate the problem but it generally works as follows on most days:

I leave home and head down the highway for 15 minutes revelling in the full 150hp thinking all is well with the world. I stop somewhere for coffee or a bite to eat, jump back on the bike and tool off down the road riding sensibly without big handfuls of throttle. Eventually I arrive at a favourite stretch of road and eagerly pour the power on to find nobody home. And that's how the motor stays until the end of the ride! Every day I ride ...same story!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Trail newb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Another long shot but it sounds like it may be reverting itself to rain mode for some reason? Or a run-in default mode? Thats how it feels to me when I ride in this mode, Slow revving and lazy. I also seem to have a tank pressure issue, it hisses after a long ride, garage stinks of fuel and let's out a crap load of vapour when I open it...... No smokes sitting on this bike, Katooom!!
Hope the dealer sorts it out, let us know how you go mate.
Trail newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Trail newb
Adventurer

Have you had any answers from the dealer Grizzlybear? Cheers
Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
GEEZER5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My 1190R went in for it's first service last week. The mechanic said there were a few issues that were flagged for inspection when it was in for it's service. One of the issues he had to check was if there was a clear hole in the fuel filler cap. If there was not he was instructed from KTM to drill out the hole so that it goes all the way through. This could possible cause some power issues with the tank creating a negative pressure in the tank. This should be evident when directly after a ride you undo the filler cap and see if there is some pressure in the tank. You should hear hissing as air enters the tank.
Worth checking.
GEEZER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #13
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
There is an issue with the tank breather that sits around the fuel tank opening.

When the weather is very warm and the fuel in the bike gets hot a vacuum forms in the tank which causes the fuel starvation problem.

The breather will be impeded in some way, either crimped or a blockage and the easiest way to tell is when you open the filler cap, you will hear a 'whoosh' sound, that's as technical as i can put it!!

Hope this helps some of you blokes.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
Trail newb
Adventurer

No worries

Cheers guys. Luckily I haven't suffered any performance issues, the dealer will have the bike this week to sort it out. I have been on them about the pressure issue since day dot, must be worse on some bikes then others. All part of being a development rider I guess.....
Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
I am wondering if others are experiencing what is happening with my 1190 Adventure. Once the bike is ridden for an hour (or not even that) it seems to revert to a "limp mode" where it will not rev beyond around 6500rpm and the response at the throttle below this point is way down on normal. Trying to rev the bike out feels like a two stroke that wont rev into its power band because the jetting is up the creek.
I have had the bike back to the dealer twice now to have the electronics checked out but the problem persists. When I collected the bike yesterday (Fri Oct 10) the tech suggested that the fuel tank may be pressurising so today when the symptoms started I left the tank filler ajar but to no avail.

Up until today I have been thinking it may be heat related as the issue emerges when the outside temp gets over 30C and the oil temp exceeds 80 however today in coastal Qld was cooler with the air temp around 27-28 degrees C and the oil temp at the time I scrolled through the menu was 79 but the still the motor would not rev out to redline.

It does not seem to matter which mode is selected nor whether the MTC is switched off, the problem persists. To be fair, when the bike is ridden in normal street riding or even out on the highway at 110kph (as if a cop was on your tail) there is no problem as only small throttle openings are used and the bike is operating in the 4000 to 5000 rpm range. But open the taps and she's no go... very frustrating. So the question is, have others experienced this issue and what was the fix??? Dave

tank valves fully open?...just saying:)
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote