Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #16
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Ambulance Angels, Thank You for All You Do.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
So....

anyone know if we should press for overnight stay to prevent the instances where same-day discharge means that we won't get coverage from our insurance policy?
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,881
A question came up regarding an insurance claim for a bike while riding on a forest service road.

Here is the situation: A rider went over a water bar which was much deeper and wider than expected on the far side. The rider came down hard enough for the skid plate to come up and rip out the drain plug dumping the oil. The rider stopped right away so the engine is likely fine internally, except for the fact that the sump is all part of the cast block (1200GS). The oil drain plug is now embedded in the block casting and the sump is cracked.

Does it come down to location of the incident for the insurance company to honor a claim?

To clarify, the rider did not go down, there was no accident.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, almost.

There is a world of difference between the Life Flight type service the OP describes, and MedJet.

Here's the difference:

Life Flight: Helicopter comes to get you wherever your accident occurred, and takes you back to a trauma center. Your condition is serious enough that someone is trying to save your life by getting you to a hospital at all possible haste.

MedJet: MedJet does not come to you where your accident occurred. You already have to be an in-patient at a medical facility, and, moreover, although you may want to come home to your house, you have to have a need for further treatment in another medical facility (normally, this is in or near your hometown). You (or your family) chooses the hospital. It doesn't have to be near your home.

As for "far away places, like South America or such", MedJet will provide service if you're hospitalized more than 150 miles from your primary residence. Once you're stabilized, they'll come and get you and take you to a hospital of choice.

The handy way to think of it is this:

Life Flight collects you in the field at the accident location.

MedJet collects you from a medical facility, and takes you to another medical facility, in a non-emergency status.
To add to tricepilot's excellent summary, I had a bit of a git-off in Montana a couple of years ago. Was able to ride to the hospital - took about 2 hours. Had MedJet and Travel Insurance. Found out the Travel Insurance provided the same Air Medical Evacuation as MedJet. The main criteria for both is that you must be admited to a hospital (being in the Emergency Room is not being admited to the hospital) and there must be a bed available at the hospital you want to go to. In my case (since I live in Canada with our wonderful Gov't run medical system) I had to wait in Montana an extra 3 days until they finally came up with a bed for me at home. Cost the insurance company about $6K extra for my bed while waiting for one at home.

At least I got to ride in a Lear Jet . . .
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #21
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Health insurance does not cover an ER visit caused by a broken femur and hip plus internal pain, because he was not admitted to the hospital??? What strange kind of health insurances you have over there!

I am glad I a living in Europe / Sweden, when I hear stories like this. The state deducts one fixed amount of tax from my salary every month, which covers also health insurance. And for sure they will pay for an ER visit after a motorcycle accident like this one. They even call in a helicopter, whenever you report a motorcycle accident with injured riders! However I really hope this is wasted money and I will never see an ER from the inside!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
Thorgrim
Retired smartass

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicbiker View Post
Health insurance does not cover an ER visit caused by a broken femur and hip plus internal pain, because he was not admitted to the hospital??? What strange kind of health insurances you have over there!

I am glad I a living in Europe / Sweden, when I hear stories like this. The state deducts one fixed amount of tax from my salary every month, which covers also health insurance. And for sure they will pay for an ER visit after a motorcycle accident like this one. They even call in a helicopter, whenever you report a motorcycle accident with injured riders! However I really hope this is wasted money and I will never see an ER from the inside!
I'll try to keep this non-political. Lets just say that, despite my concerns about the growth of government, I think this is the only rational, caring way to handle such things. "You're on your own" is one thing concerning personal economics, and another thing entirely when you're talking about the health and safety of a brother/sister citizen.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I think the health professionals are great, hard working, "more hours than they should" and am glad to have them!
My question is WHY THE F&*# it cost so much for the emergency room!!! The prices are unaffordable, plain and simple!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #24
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I'll try to keep this non-political.
The most important difference is non-political: In case of an emergency, the EU citiziens (like in Sweden or Germany - but even non-EU like Switzerland) call "112" - and not their lawyer.
The health insurances will pay any (*) inevitable (**) resque and treatment, no exceptions and no excuses.
(*) decision by the paramedic/physician (in rare cases by public medical officer).
(**) But neither a gold crown nor a handicapped accessible conversion of your castle.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicbiker View Post

Should clarify - I was talking about Travel Insurance. I live in Canada and need travel insurance to cover most medical costs outside the country.

My Dad lives in California and has Kaiser health insurance. He is 99 and gets hauled to the hospital 2 or 3 times a year. Just a visit to the ER costs $2000 - $2500 of which he paid $200 or so. A recent stay for a couple of nights along with the ER visit was $13K of which he paid $500. So, no problem from a US health insurance standpoint.

As an aside, the ambulance trip costs about $2100 (of which he pays $200) - which I think is insanely expensive. For a 7 mile trip from the home he is in to the hospital . . . seems a bit outlandish.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
A thoughtful thread....

My Blue Shield will cover me throughout my travels in Central and South America. I also purchased Medjet just in case I get sick/racked up someplace down there.

Just remember Medjet is NOT medical insurance. It comes into play when you are already hospitalized and need to come home.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #27
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,513
Get a SPOT and pick up the Lloyd's of London insurance they offer, it's really cheap. Covers (I think, haven't read all of the fine print. ) the cost of the emergency extraction, helicopter etc etc.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Get a SPOT and pick up the Lloyd's of London insurance they offer, it's really cheap. Covers (I think, haven't read all of the fine print. ) the cost of the emergency extraction, helicopter etc etc.
As far as I know, the SPOT insurance only covers the "search and rescue" costs that may be levied - probably to get you as far as a local hospital. It is not medical insurance and does not cover the cost of getting your busted up carcass home. Oh, and it apparently only covers one person. I understand you can pay to insure others who may be with you.