Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 930
Safari tank 990 fuel pump mounting...leaks...?

Just spent about 3 hours mounting my fuel pumps on my Safari tank and wondering if I need to spend some more time. The tank is currently hanging in the garage with fuel in it to check for leaks but this is not exactly real world testing.
The instructions left a lot to be desired....I read conflicting accounts as to whether to use the supplied flat gasket...it did not fit correctly (about 1/4" undersized hole). I also found threads that suggested the rubber is not fuel resistant (wtf!!!), so I left it aside, sanded the inside of the tank's o-ring surface and relied on the OEM seals to do the job...very dubious about that! So far no leaks but...thinking about making my own flat gasket to back that up.
And no, "pumps" was not a typo. I have a spare pump and I had to drill out and file the mounting holes on both pumps to account for the misaligned tank holes. Kinda tedious at 2am in a 31 deg garage!
Any feedback on the best method?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Just spent about 3 hours mounting my fuel pumps on my Safari tank and wondering if I need to spend some more time. The tank is currently hanging in the garage with fuel in it to check for leaks but this is not exactly real world testing.
The instructions left a lot to be desired....I read conflicting accounts as to whether to use the supplied flat gasket...it did not fit correctly (about 1/4" undersized hole). I also found threads that suggested the rubber is not fuel resistant (wtf!!!), so I left it aside, sanded the inside of the tank's o-ring surface and relied on the OEM seals to do the job...very dubious about that! So far no leaks but...thinking about making my own flat gasket to back that up.
And no, "pumps" was not a typo. I have a spare pump and I had to drill out and file the mounting holes on both pumps to account for the misaligned tank holes. Kinda tedious at 2am in a 31 deg garage!
Any feedback on the best method?
Feedback: Get a garage heater. You'll do better work if you're warm....

I just changed the filters on mine; it's the first time since I mounted the pump in the safari that I've had the pump out. I did not use the flat gasket; undersized is an understatement! It was really tough to get the pump in the first time so I used some silicone dielectric grease to protect the o-ring and ease it in. No leaks.

This time the pump came right out and indeed went back in so easily I've been worried about leaks. So far, so good though....first tank, we will see.

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

My spare was brand new but came without the intake filter. It is a much tighter fit in the hole and the interference o-ring seems a little larger than the kit one I had just installed on my old pump. If I had known it was so tight I would have used it instead but after just changing filters I didn't feel like disassembling it to steal the filter. This comparative looseness also makes me more inclined to see what I can do to seal it better. Maybe I should steal the new pump's o-ring instead (and measure it in the process) and put it on my old pump....
Honestly I have no idea how I am getting a seal at the moment...it was a pretty rough hole...for $1600 !!!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Update

Bought some thin fuelproof Felpro gasket sheet and made three gaskets (2 spares). Its pretty thin and will allow the oring to still engage the tank hole. No chance to fit one yet but will report back. I think I will use some permatex gasket maker on the gasket to tank side and hopefully it will stay in place for a few uses.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 991
I've used the stock Orings on the two Safari tanks I've owned.
I'ne put somewhere around 80,000 mi. on them.

First I clean up the sharp edge of the fuel tank hole and smooth the inside
of any roughness.
But my secret weapon to stop leaaks is "Three Bond liquid gasket"

Coat the fuel pump base the tank base and the orings.
Let them skin over for a few minutes and assemble.
I generally let the assembled parts set up over night before
adding gas.

The last tank I bought was very poorly molded, the finish looked like shit.
and the surfaces where the fuel petcocks mount were not flat,
which led to one of my petcocks cracking at the base, down South in Mexico.
I'd check this out on yours, I also use the Three Bond when mounting them, as with the pump and regulator on my 690.

Max
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

I havent seen the Three Bond stuff but the permatex gasket maker seems like it should work. Although I had no leaks on the petcocks and fuel level sensor I take your point...maybe I will treat these areas too - they sure arent smooth and those small o-rings dont seem to have much give to them.
I agree about the finish - the white tanks (not translucent) were definitely the best fit for a white Adv, but mine are speckled with tiny bubbles all over (that fill with grime to make black dots) and most predominately along the upper edges, where it will be most noticeable. I guess the sacrifice is worth it for the extra range but pretty disappointing for that much money. Guess I will just have to keep it spattered with mud...