ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #91
BMacW650 OP

Oddometer: 744
Had a little setback getting these brackets made. Also took a bit longer than I anticipated.

I've been pumping out wiring harnesses and making the cover while I sort this out.

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #92
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
These are gonna be GOOD!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #93
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
These are gonna be GOOD!!!
exciting!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #94
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,077
Awesome
1Bonehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #95
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
I know I asked this before...

...and I did follow the links to the Fiero lighting project and tried to find some to Lynx beam pattern photos but didn't...
Any chance of some photos of the light output? I know these are a pain to take, especially photos comparing to a stock setup, (down a county road i find more useful than against a garage door) but they would be helpful to me. I understand that this setup should be so much better than OEM that most potential buyers shouldn't need these images, but I already have a projector as a main beam with an LED as an extra high beam and I am thinking I should have gone for Hella for the quality of the beam...it wouldn't take much to persuade me to switch. Your kit is outstanding and, knowing what is involved in a custom setup, excellent value. It just hurts to think of shelving my effort...especially when there was a lot of it expended.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #96
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
...and I did follow the links to the Fiero lighting project and tried to find some to Lynx beam pattern photos but didn't...
Yer kidding aren't you?..

Reckon BMac has got better things to do, ummm, like making, testing parts, dealing with subbies, checking QC, having a life, riding!
When I have my set I'll happily talk some pics for you.

In the meantime enjoy what you got... All that effort and all :)
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #97
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Yeah...

...I guess it is a lot to ask under the circumstances. I'm just used to seeing similar pix from vendors, and to be honest, unless they are done right they don't tell you much anyway. Not kidding about not finding Lynx beam pattern images (i will keep searching when I have time) Plenty under the Fiero link, but most of them are with two projectors or even four.
EDIT...I found a beam pattern image for the Lynx at http://www.britanniacomposites.com/index.php/products
Pretty awesome image. These are the same 90mm Hellas.
Where my lighting setup lets me down is the lowbeam, with just one projector. High beam, where two Rigid LEDs help out, plus another smaller LED, is about as good as I would ever hope to get out of small fixtures, but dipping my lights is almost like turning them off by comparison. I have had close calls with deer because of this. There are better ways to die.
Sorry for the big thread-piracy rant...just trying to figure out if I persist with my homegrown setup and switch out to a Hella projector, or put my name on the list for the BMac's well-engineered setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap! View Post
Yer kidding aren't you?..

Reckon BMac has got better things to do, ummm, like making, testing parts, dealing with subbies, checking QC, having a life, riding!
When I have my set I'll happily talk some pics for you.

In the meantime enjoy what you got... All that effort and all :)

RoundOz screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 05:40 AM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #98
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
...I guess it is a lot to ask under the circumstances. I'm just used to seeing similar pix from vendors, and to be honest, unless they are done right they don't tell you much anyway. Not kidding about not finding Lynx beam pattern images (i will keep searching when I have time) Plenty under the Fiero link, but most of them are with two projectors or even four.
EDIT...I found a beam pattern image for the Lynx at http://www.britanniacomposites.com/index.php/products
Pretty awesome image. These are the same 90mm Hellas.
Where my lighting setup lets me down is the lowbeam, with just one projector. High beam, where two Rigid LEDs help out, plus another smaller LED, is about as good as I would ever hope to get out of small fixtures, but dipping my lights is almost like turning them off by comparison. I have had close calls with deer because of this. There are better ways to die.
Sorry for the big thread-piracy rant...just trying to figure out if I persist with my homegrown setup and switch out to a Hella projector, or put my name on the list for the BMac's well-engineered setup.
Sorry, I know I said I would help you out, but it just got dragged on and went to the back burner. When I'm done, I'd be happy to have a look at what setup you have. And I can provide you feedbacks on your existing setup. I also have plenty scraps from prototyping this thing, so I can send those to you for free if you can use them.

To give everyone some prospectives, I'm making pretty much everything myself. I have the major parts cut by a shop. The rest, drilling , riveting , souring parts/materials, soldering, testing are all done one by one in my garage. It's fun, but it's getting old. It's definitely not worth my time. So my main priority now is to complete all the kits I have at hand and try to make them as nice as I while being cost effective. Everyone of these I'm making is going to better a better setup than the one on my own bike. I'm quite happy with mine, but since there are many interested parties, I rather do things right. And we all know that takes time.

We are almost there.

I will not be able to sand blast all of the parts like these, but they will have nice clean cuts and smooth edges.

Just got these in the mail, it will make the wiring even tidier.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #99
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,352
Fuck!... Orange clamps, square... You got it bad Bud!
Love your work!
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #100
ClintK
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Please put me down for a kit if they are not all spoken for.
Yamaha FJ1200
KTM 950 Adventure
ClintK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #101
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Interested as well!!
Let me know!!
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #102
pilacs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Also interested in a full kit.
pilacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #103
BMacW650 OP

Last leg

All the parts came in. I'm getting really close.
Currently I'm struggling on how to secure the headlight mask to the bracket. It's always been press fitted in on mine. No problem whatsoever, but I want to make it more professional for everyone else.

Still experimenting with that. You will see a hole on the left, I was trying to make it quick release so it would come off and allow easy adjustment of the lamps.

Another little snag is that if I solder the weather sealed fusebox to the wiring harness, it would be very tricky to route the entire thing to the battery. I want to keep the fuse down bottom behind the skip plate so they can be accessed quickly, like the other fuses. Otherwise I could just have the fuse behind the headlight... Working on disassemble the fusebox now so you just have to snap the terminal back after the routing.

A few pictures

Wiring harness, much tidier than before. 2 relays, low beam kill switch, low beam will stay on when high beam is turned on. Just plug the H4-3 connector to the stock headlight, and the 2 leads to battery.

Mounts directly to the stock headlight mask.

Reuse the stock rubber bushing, spacer, washer, screw

Adjustable directly from the front. (again, i need to figure a better way to secure the cover)

Couple quick snaps on the bike in pitch black. (please do not use them to judge the brightness)

Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #104
Lumberjeff
River City MC

Oddometer: 84
I would like a full kit as well. Is this possible or are they all spoken for?

Fantastic job either way!
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc
I'M THIRSTY FOR A HARMON BEER
Lumberjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #105
Zander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Let me know if a full kit is available.