Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Upon further review, Global Medical Insurance seems to be the better option. Coverage is much more robust through their plan (Gold plan is probably what I'll go with).

Here is a chat I just had with an operator from the site who answered a few questions for me... Might help others out with their decision.

"Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'jbarrios'

jbarrios: Hello, how may I help you?
David Mobley: Hello, I have several questions about an upcoming trip.
David Mobley: I will be departing the USA for 6 - 12 months on my BMW F800GS motorbike to travel through Central and South America.
David Mobley: The bike is mine and will be my primary mode of transportation. It is 800cc.
David Mobley: Will your policies cover this?
jbarrios: Which plan are you looking at?
David Mobley: Assuming I am following rules in-country (i.e. not drinking and driving), not racing, etc?
David Mobley: Looking at either Silver or Gold Global Medical Insurance plan
jbarrios: Ok. Yes that is fine. As long as it's used as a mode of transportation, similar to a car.
David Mobley: Correct. It would be my main mode of transportation for travel. Not used for anything else.
jbarrios: Ok
David Mobley: To clarify, it looks like you have to have 12 months of coverage with your company before qualifying or ANY mental insurance?
David Mobley: So, nothing is covered for first 12 months. Probably not needed, but just curious.
jbarrios: Correct
David Mobley: Also, in emergency evac it says this under Gold... "Up to maximum limit - not subject to deductible or coinsurance"
David Mobley: What is maximum limit?
jbarrios: 5 million
David Mobley: Also, none of the plans (except for platinum) include remote transport. What does that mean? I won't be evacuated from a remote area? What is a remote area?
David Mobley: Final question, treatment inside US shows PPO network. Where do I find access to offered providers?
jbarrios: In an event of a diagnosis of a critical medical condition which is not necessarily immediately life-threatening, but severe enough to result in death or a permanent disability if not treated right away, this benefit will provide for eligible charges arising out of the transportation of an insured person to a qualified medical facility for further treatment
jbarrios: The US ppo network is First Health and their website is www.firsthealth.com"

d_mob screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 09:18 AM
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
David Mobley: To clarify, it looks like you have to have 12 months of coverage with your company before qualifying or ANY mental insurance?
David Mobley: So, nothing is covered for first 12 months. Probably not needed, but just curious.
jbarrios: Correct

So you have to get the insurance 12 months prior to leaving because they don't cover anything for the first 12 months? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

So you have to get the insurance 12 months prior to leaving because they don't cover anything for the first 12 months? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Jamie
Most people who buy this type of insurance are expats who 're-up' year after year.

Mental health is rarely covered by these types of plans, so having it at all is actually nice.

What it means is, you aren't covered from a mental health perspective for the first 12 months, but if you continue coverage, then it kicks in (level dependent on what plan you go with / silver, gold, gold plus, etc).

On a side note, I plan to go with the Gold plan for 12 mos. Since I'm quitting a job I'll need to get 'creditable coverage' while I'm away or risk not being able to get fresh insurance when I return for some time (gotta love the USA). This is the reason that I'm not going with the World Nomad package (not creditable).

There were conflicting reports on whether the IMG Global Medical Insurance plan was creditable, but after hours of exhausting online research and speaking with an IMG representative today, they assured me that this plan is considered creditable and sent me a sample letter that will be used upon expiration of plan that I will give to future insurer. Another good thing about this plan is for a bit more money you can choose to not exclude US coverage, meaning that I'll be covered in US before I depart country and after I get back (assuming I'm not in the States for more than six months out of year).

PS... On a side, side note, I'm not sure what Obamacare does with regards to creditable coverage beginning in Jan of 2014. That's on the list to research tomorrow. If it eliminates the need for creditable coverage then I will start comparing World Nomad plans again.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

Jamie
Also, who needs mental coverage??? Oh wait, everyone on this site likes to leave home for extended periods of time to travel incredible distances aboard a motorbike seeking adventure and fun. I guess we're all a little insane!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post

PS... On a side, side note, I'm not sure what Obamacare does with regards to creditable coverage beginning in Jan of 2014. That's on the list to research tomorrow. If it eliminates the need for creditable coverage then I will start comparing World Nomad plans again.
So, it looks like creditable coverage will be required until Jan 1, 2014. Act goes into place Jan 1, 2013, but letters of creditable coverage will be required for any new insurance signed prior to Jan 1, 2014. Confusing, yeah it is...

Long story short, I'll be going with the Global Medical Insurance plan as opposed to World Nomads because it counts as preventative/creditable insurance and they provide a letter to future insurers (not much more expensive and better coverage overall anyway).

I would go with World Nomads if my departure date was post Jan 1, 2014. Both cover motorcycles and riding as long as you aren't participating in an organized sporting event or race. And aren't drinking (of course).