Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
You say you found 400 miles tiring. What kind of bike? Do you wear ear plugs? If not, I recommend you do, you'll find you get a lot less tired. I like musicians ear plugs because they take the edge off without being disorienting. I wear these http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...motic+earplugs
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
drienkm
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
I have a trip I need to make. I have 4.5 days to make 2,800, round trip. About 10 hours in the saddle each day. All freeway driving.
I have done 400 miles in a day before, but I am not sure how doing double that for 4 days in a row will work.
At this point, I am not sure if I want to ride the bike, or spend the money and fly.

Any thoughts from anyone who has made a trip like this?
I realize you probably already did or didn't make the ride, but for those poking around old threads like myself:
I'd say if you're under 70 and are riding something other than a MX bike, you should be fine. I recently did 1,920 miles on an SV650N in 42 hrs including two 6 hr night sleeps in the middle. I've made allot of similar trips on standard/ sport bikes like the SV.
In order of importance from a comfort standpoint IMHO:

1: Stay hydrated! Even in cool/humid weather, the wind is sucking moisture out of you. I ride with a hydration pouch.

2: Ear Plugs
- Like people keep saying, they make a huge difference in fatigue.

3: Keep a steady pace.
-Stop about every 1.5-2 hrs or 100-170 mi for gas. (I spend about 10-15 minutes at each gas stop) Get off the bike, pee, eat a munchie, sip something tasty (keeps your spirits up).
-Full meals are a bad idea when you are trying to really cover miles IMO (yes, I mean during the whole day riding). They drain you of energy (digestion) and disrupt your focus, not to mention take allot of time. Eat quality snacks at a rate of about 200 cal every 2 hrs. A Cliff bar at every gas stop is perfect for me - I arrive sharp and not hungry.

4: Avoid wind buffeting
- windshield / flyscreen if needed (mine is tiny, but just big enough to take the buffeting off my chest)
-Close fitting gear (not flappy)

5: Stay light and free to move
-If you must wear a backpack, keep it really light and small

Happy mile shredding
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Fly

1) you're not going to save much money.

2) If anything goes wrong during the trip, you don't have any buffer in your schedule to handle it. Makes for stress.

3) If anything goes right in your trip, you won't have time to linger and savor it.

4) Counting coup on the number of states you visit is a poor way to justify taking the bike. What's memorable for me on a trip are the conversations I find with strangers, the great meals in cool roadside restaurants, catching a great sunrise or sunset, and taking the time to soak up the vibe in a place I really like. Being mileage driven doesn't lend itself to these kinds of things. I like covering miles, but I think the sweet spot is 300 to 450 or so. YMMV.

Good luck with it either way...but you asked, and I think you'd be happier taking the bike on a looser trip.
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
2wheel-dreamer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
Now granted, I am on a GS not a KTM 950 (that is one bad-assed KTM!), but 400 freeway miles a day isn't a big deal and it shouldn't take 10 hours of saddle time. Start early. Grab a cup of coffee and get 100 miles behind you before breakfast. Try hard to have close to 300 done by noon--which should take less than 5 hours averaging 65 mph. Knock out another tank of gas and 200 miles after lunch, quit early, kick up your feet, drink a beer and do it again the next day.

3,500 mile loop through Ohio and the Carolinas for business scheduled for August. To Phoenix and back in October. I need to make three or four big loops a year for work. Unless they are in the dead of winter I always take the bike.

As for flying... HELL NO! A bad day--rain, wind and nothing but interstate--beats a day being herded like cattle and seat 28C (behind a crying baby) into Atlanta. Make an adventure out of it and have some fun.

I'm with you that's a good time line(okie preacher). Why would ever fly when you could ride that KTM

I love me AirHawk seat pad. More than a custom seat because I can move it from bike to bike or for my next bike too.
drink lots water
No large meals for breakfast or lunch they always make me tried and end my day of riding early
Ear Plugs are a Great help with headaches from the wind noise & can help on the long day after day rides
Motels are good after a few days of camping to refresh & to shower. Its like hitting reset button for me on long black top slabs

Safe Trip
no matter which way you go
2wheel-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
kwthom
nOOb Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokozip View Post
<...>If you feel up to it crank out your first 1000 miles in 24 hours and document it.Get that iron butt cert:)
Absolutely! You have 23h59m to do it; given the info you have in this thread already, 18-20 hours would be the goal.

When you're 70 or 80, you can take the aircraft; if your body and your brain will you to do it, you'll do it.

Yeah, I ride a road sofa...

Luck to ya!