ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
Did you take the two day course at Barber? That looks very appealing.

Bring a hoodie?
yep....the hoodie comment will make sense when you read "Total Control"

Okay, okay.......Lee Parks used a hoodie as a cornering marker early in his riding days and mentions this option for the reader.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #47
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
Precisely why I lane split here in California - to hopefully avoid the rear ender.

Lane Sharing / Splitting should be leadle in all 50 states.
Just as a counter-point and not to start an argument, but it looks like you're from CA and I'm wondering if you've had the pleasure of experiencing Boston, traffic? Lane splitting won't work here - traffic flow and road etiquette are different. It's not about getting to one place efficiently as a group (not that CA is perfect), it's about getting there first, at all cost, no life spared.

Another similar observation:

I remember reading an article in Cycle World years ago, recommending that as you approach an intersection, that you should flash your lights to signal to the other vehicles that you are intending to go through. The idea was that this would catch the attention of other drivers since motorcycles are so easily not seen. I remember nearly jumping out of my seat when I read that. Because, no doubt about it, that will get you killed in New England. As soon as you start flashing the other drivers take that as a sign that you are letting them have the right of way.

BTW, I really do wish it could happen and that we could somehow make it legal and safe, but I just don’t see it happening around here - different places = different cultures.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #48
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton, CO
Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
I remember reading an article in Cycle World years ago, recommending that as you approach an intersection, that you should flash your lights to signal to the other vehicles that you are intending to go through. The idea was that this would catch the attention of other drivers since motorcycles are so easily not seen. I remember nearly jumping out of my seat when I read that. Because, no doubt about it, that will get you killed in New England. As soon as you start flashing the other drivers take that as a sign that you are letting them have the right of way.
Cycle world is full of shit, this signal is almost unversal world wide as giving them the right of way.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #49
PharaohScoots
Twist-N-GO
 
PharaohScoots's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Indiana, USA
Oddometer: 42
Well done F16, happy all involved survived.

One advantage my scooter has is it is always in gear, plus being 400 cc it can launch pretty quick without stalling, or entering a flat spin.

I always position myself pointing to the open air between the cars.
PharaohScoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #50
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Escaped's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 450
Sure there are risks associated with lane sharing and maybe more in Boston then San Francisco ??





But the risks are better than taking it in the rear




Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Just as a counter-point and not to start an argument, but it looks like you're from CA and I'm wondering if you've had the pleasure of experiencing Boston, traffic? Lane splitting won't work here - traffic flow and road etiquette are different. It's not about getting to one place efficiently as a group (not that CA is perfect), it's about getting there first, at all cost, no life spared.

Another similar observation:

I remember reading an article in Cycle World years ago, recommending that as you approach an intersection, that you should flash your lights to signal to the other vehicles that you are intending to go through. The idea was that this would catch the attention of other drivers since motorcycles are so easily not seen. I remember nearly jumping out of my seat when I read that. Because, no doubt about it, that will get you killed in New England. As soon as you start flashing the other drivers take that as a sign that you are letting them have the right of way.

BTW, I really do wish it could happen and that we could somehow make it legal and safe, but I just don’t see it happening around here - different places = different cultures.
__________________
2006 DR650 52,607 miles

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #51
Horizontal
Goatin' Around
 
Horizontal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 272
Great story, F16 ~

Glad how it turned out. Good advice to listen to your inner voice as well as to not pull up too closely to the car in front of you at a stop light in order to give yourself an escape route.

You need training, judgment and demonstrated skill to receive a motorcycle license endorsement. To have kids, not so much...
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!
 
F16Viper68's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Crawfordville, FL
Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizontal View Post
Great story, F16 ~

Glad how it turned out. Good advice to listen to your inner voice as well as to not pull up too closely to the car in front of you at a stop light in order to give yourself an escape route.

You need training, judgment and demonstrated skill to receive a motorcycle license endorsement. To have kids, not so much...
Yeah, I have utterly no idea how someone doesn't even take the basic precautions when it comes to protecting their children. As long as I live I'll never forget opening the rear door and seeing that screaming baby sitting in the seat unbuckled.

Dave...
__________________
pirahna - If any of us put a dollar value on the time we spend on our hobbies we would all look like idiots.
F16Viper68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014