Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Bluetooth receiver for a zumo 660

Can anyone recomend a Bluetooth receiver for a ZUMO 6600/NAVIGATOR V ?

I want to stream the audio from the GPS MP 3 player to a set of wired headphones.

The 3 models that I tried dis not pair with the ZUMO nor with the NAVIGATOR. Apparently it will only pair with units that are capable of both receiving and transmiting signals as in telephone use ( speaker and microphone )...

Thanks for any help !

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Can anyone recomend a Bluetooth receiver for a ZUMO 6600/NAVIGATOR V ?

I want to stream the audio from the GPS MP 3 player to a set of wired headphones.

The 3 models that I tried dis not pair with the ZUMO nor with the NAVIGATOR. Apparently it will only pair with units that are capable of both receiving and transmiting signals as in telephone use ( speaker and microphone )...

Thanks for any help !

Andre
Actually, what you need is one that connects with both HFP/HSP (Handsfree profile/Headset profile) and A2DP. The A2DP is the BT stereo music and is the important one for music. The GPS navigation part will connect to the HFP/HSP profile (which is mono) and the MP3 music will connect to the A2DP profile (which is stereo).

The problem with the Zumo 660/665 and what you are running into is it expects both of these profiles to be present and if they are both not there, it continually looks for the other and disconnects and just frankly doesn't work well.

One off the top of my head that should work is the Jabra BT3030. (BTW, you can find them much cheaper on ebay). There are others that are in this same family, but I'm familiar with this one. It allows you to use your own wired headphones and it connects with the above profiles I mentioned allowing you to get both the Navigation and the Music.

Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you very much for your reply. Now I am beggining to understand why the receivers I've tried did not work...

I will research on receiver s that have both connections, A2DP and HFP/HSP.

I've already written Jabar technical support with a couuple of qustions concerning charging, waterproofness, etc.

Again, thank you very much for your response !

Best regards,

Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Actually, what you need is one that connects with both HFP/HSP (Handsfree profile/Headset profile) and A2DP. The A2DP is the BT stereo music and is the important one for music. The GPS navigation part will connect to the HFP/HSP profile (which is mono) and the MP3 music will connect to the A2DP profile (which is stereo).

The problem with the Zumo 660/665 and what you are running into is it expects both of these profiles to be present and if they are both not there, it continually looks for the other and disconnects and just frankly doesn't work well.

One off the top of my head that should work is the Jabra BT3030. (BTW, you can find them much cheaper on ebay). There are others that are in this same family, but I'm familiar with this one. It allows you to use your own wired headphones and it connects with the above profiles I mentioned allowing you to get both the Navigation and the Music.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply. Now I am beggining to understand why the receivers I've tried did not work...

I will research on receiver s that have both connections, A2DP and HFP/HSP.

I've already written Jabar technical support with a couuple of qustions concerning charging, waterproofness, etc.

Again, thank you very much for your response !

Best regards,

Andre
Another one you'll see listed with A2DP is AVRCP. They go hand and hand like HFP/HSP. AVRCP is basically what allows you to play/pause/FF/RR tracks, but you don't really need that with the Zumo so it won't matter.

You can familiarize your self with BT profiles here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

Why don't you link up the ones you tried?

What exactly didn't work? Would they never pair?

Another issue you could run into is whether the default pairing code is 0000 or 1234 or even worse some obscure code? I think the Zumo lets you put in a pairing code on its side, right?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

HI Blueghtning;

The receivers I've tried were chinese and I've no idea what make they were. Fortunatelly I didn't have to buy them to try as they had demo units in the store. All were A2DP receivers and worked fine with my phone (SAMSUNG S4) as far as receiving MP3. They didn't have mic nor mic input/ouput so I believe that they did not work as they were not HFP/HSP.

Eventhough the GPS could "find" the receivers, all atempts to pair failed no matter what passwotd was used (0000, 1234, 1111,etc)

After I've read you previous message I've checked JABRA's web site and searched to see what was available in Brazil. I found in our local ebay the JABRA PLAY (http://www.jabra.com/Products/Blueto...LAY/Jabra_PLAY) for a reasonable (for Brazil) price, about US$160... I've purchased it and expect to receive it in a couple of days.

I do not know if there is any audio quality difference among the various units but I understand that JABRA is one of the better makes... Have you any experience with audio quality among the various bluetooth receivers ?

In any event a have a small bluetooth set of speakers made by JBL ( its called FLIP) and I took it apart and instead of connecting the amp/bluetooth receiver to its speakers I've connected my wired headphones and it worked just fine. Unfortuantelly its a little cumbersome due to its size and I will have to fit it into a plastic box that measures 4 x 2 x3/4" which is larger than I would like. Besides I will have to destroy my JBS system...

If the JABRA PLAY I've purchased works that will be the best solution.

Thanks again for your help and I will let you know the outcome.

Best regards,

Andre

Quote:
Another one you'll see listed with A2DP is AVRCP. They go hand and hand like HFP/HSP. AVRCP is basically what allows you to play/pause/FF/RR tracks, but you don't really need that with the Zumo so it won't matter.

You can familiarize your self with BT profiles here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

Why don't you link up the ones you tried?

What exactly didn't work? Would they never pair?

Another issue you could run into is whether the default pairing code is 0000 or 1234 or even worse some obscure code? I think the Zumo lets you put in a pairing code on its side, right?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Yeah, I have no experience with that Jabra Play, but its basically has all the same features as the one I linked. Probably just a newer model, new design, etc. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you.

I spent a lot of time using my Jabra 3030 on a bike listening to music and I thought it worked out pretty well. The fact it was on a dog tag I could hang around my neck worked great too. Only thing I couldn't get to the controls easily. I eventually mounted it on a wrist band and wore it around my arm and the headphones come down my sleeve and connect. That worked out even better.

Funny, we started talking about this and I went to go look for it since I haven't used it for awhile and now I can't find it. :( I'm sure its around here somewhere.

Please let me know how it works out because it will be good info for others too.

Quote:
HI Blueghtning;

The receivers I've tried were chinese and I've no idea what make they were. Fortunatelly I didn't have to buy them to try as they had demo units in the store. All were A2DP receivers and worked fine with my phone (SAMSUNG S4) as far as receiving MP3. They didn't have mic nor mic input/ouput so I believe that they did not work as they were not HFP/HSP.

Eventhough the GPS could "find" the receivers, all atempts to pair failed no matter what passwotd was used (0000, 1234, 1111,etc)

After I've read you previous message I've checked JABRA's web site and searched to see what was available in Brazil. I found in our local ebay the JABRA PLAY (http://www.jabra.com/Products/Blueto...LAY/Jabra_PLAY) for a reasonable (for Brazil) price, about US$160... I've purchased it and expect to receive it in a couple of days.

I do not know if there is any audio quality difference among the various units but I understand that JABRA is one of the better makes... Have you any experience with audio quality among the various bluetooth receivers ?

In any event a have a small bluetooth set of speakers made by JBL ( its called FLIP) and I took it apart and instead of connecting the amp/bluetooth receiver to its speakers I've connected my wired headphones and it worked just fine. Unfortuantelly its a little cumbersome due to its size and I will have to fit it into a plastic box that measures 4 x 2 x3/4" which is larger than I would like. Besides I will have to destroy my JBS system...

If the JABRA PLAY I've purchased works that will be the best solution.

Thanks again for your help and I will let you know the outcome.

Best regards,

Andre
Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi BlueLghtning;

As promissed I am writing to report that the JABRA PLAY works just fine ! Very good sound quality for a bluetooth. In fact, it's the best I've heard from bluetooth and is close to the sound of my AKG headphones connected through wires straight to the player.

Expect it to play at a slightly lower volume, though.

I thank you very much for your tip and your explanations !

Best regards,

Andre

PS: Did you find your unit ?

Quote:
Yeah, I have no experience with that Jabra Play, but its basically has all the same features as the one I linked. Probably just a newer model, new design, etc. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you.

I spent a lot of time using my Jabra 3030 on a bike listening to music and I thought it worked out pretty well. The fact it was on a dog tag I could hang around my neck worked great too. Only thing I couldn't get to the controls easily. I eventually mounted it on a wrist band and wore it around my arm and the headphones come down my sleeve and connect. That worked out even better.

Funny, we started talking about this and I went to go look for it since I haven't used it for awhile and now I can't find it. :( I'm sure its around here somewhere.

Please let me know how it works out because it will be good info for others too.

atg screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 04:54 AM
Old 10-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Hi BlueLghtning;

As promissed I am writing to report that the JABRA PLAY works just fine ! Very good sound quality for a bluetooth. In fact, it's the best I've heard from bluetooth and is close to the sound of my AKG headphones connected through wires straight to the player.

Expect it to play at a slightly lower volume, though.

I thank you very much for your tip and your explanations !

Best regards,

Andre

PS: Did you find your unit ?
Don't forget that the volume on the Zumo will still affect the overall volume. Usually I find setting it to a notch or two below full on the actual device works best. Then control the volume from your BT devvice.

And no, I didn't find mine. I know its gotta be around here somewhere.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't forget that the volume on the Zumo will still affect the overall volume. Usually I find setting it to a notch or two below full on the actual device works best. Then control the volume from your BT devvice.

realize that the ZUMO's volume control adjusts the headphones volume; in fact that is how I've been controlling the listening volume as I leave the JABRA's volume at max. Still, I use 2 headphones: an AKG and a KOSS depending on which helmet I am wearing. The AKG are quite more efficient and work fine; The KOSS are less so and depending on the volume of the recording and the speed I am traveling, not loud enough.
As I am about to receive a GARMIN/BMW Navigator V next week, I will see how they work together.

Nevertheless, even if volume doesn't get any louder I am already very happy with the acquired solution as now I am able to listen to music and adjust the GPS and player through the GSLC wheel.

Hope you find yours and, once again thanks for all your help !

Andre
Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

BlueLghtning;

Just as an update to you and to other that may read this topic:

I've purchased a second Jabra for a friend, this time the JABRA STEET 2 and found it sound different from the PLAY model. MAin differences are thta the STEET 2 plays a little loudr ( about 6 dB from my measurements with a dB meter) and provides a more bass full sound. Depending on the phones used it actually puts too much bass out...

Anyway, the louder volume seems to me as a worthy feature.

Andre
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
BlueLghtning;

Just as an update to you and to other that may read this topic:

I've purchased a second Jabra for a friend, this time the JABRA STEET 2 and found it sound different from the PLAY model. MAin differences are thta the STEET 2 plays a little loudr ( about 6 dB from my measurements with a dB meter) and provides a more bass full sound. Depending on the phones used it actually puts too much bass out...

Anyway, the louder volume seems to me as a worthy feature.

Andre
Is that the same unit as the Jabra 3030 I linked above? At least that is what appears to be showing up in my search. Maybe they just renamed it? I remember that having some great sound. Wish I could find mine.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Is that the same unit as the Jabra 3030 I linked above? At least that is what appears to be showing up in my search. Maybe they just renamed it? I remember that having some great sound. Wish I could find mine.
I don't know if they just renamed it or, in fact, made soem changes. Its true that from the pictures they look exactly alike.

Perhaps if ask Jabra's support they will be able to tell what, if anything, is different.

Best regards,

Andre
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,922
I wonder how well this would work: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
jons1133
Trail Boss AZ

Oddometer: 32
Perhaps I'm not understanding why you're needing BT. You do know that the 660 has a headphone jack and the mount wiring has a jack, too?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons1133 View Post
Perhaps I'm not understanding why you're needing BT. You do know that the 660 has a headphone jack and the mount wiring has a jack, too?
Jons1133;

I am not sure who you are answering to so I apologize in adavance if its not to me...

The reason for bluetooth is that, as I mentioned above, I was too receive and already did, a BMW Navigator V GPS that only outputs audio through bluetooth.

Andre

atg screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 10:19 AM