Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #46
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Some shots of some more custom bits in this kit.

Temp Sender

Chain Guide / Roller

Custom Rear Shock 10" of Travel

Retained Remote Preload Adjuster is One of the Shock Options

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #47
vsaltao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
As a owner of both a DL650 and a DRZ this kit has catched my atention .
Will the back costume rear shock be mandatory, or can i start with just the DRZ front and raising links for the back, and buy only later on the rear shock ? (i know i would have less ground cleareance and i guess i would have to lower also the front)
vsaltao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #48
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaltao View Post
As a owner of both a DL650 and a DRZ this kit has catched my atention .
Will the back costume rear shock be mandatory, or can i start with just the DRZ front and raising links for the back, and buy only later on the rear shock ? (i know i would have less ground cleareance and i guess i would have to lower also the front)
Thanks for your comments and interest.

I am looking at making a budget option with rear link as an option also. Basically a "LIFT KIT", this will NOT add any suspension travel to the rear, but will help level out the bike with the raised front end.

That should be worked on over the winter.

We are busy prepping this bike for a local DS ride this weekend. Wet, muddy, wooded WI trails.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #49
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

NEW REKLUSE EXP - prototype testing!!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #50
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

We should now have some serious Dirt TRACTION!

17" Tereflex

Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #51
vsaltao
Adventurer

nice :) , if it works well with the drz front i will probably end buying the rear shock. The problem is that i live Across the pond so costums will up the price of the pricier stuff (the rear shock).
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #52
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaltao View Post
nice :) , if it works well with the drz front i will probably end buying the rear shock. The problem is that i live Across the pond so costums will up the price of the pricier stuff (the rear shock).
I ship all over the word, we can work on that when he time comes.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #53
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Sun Rise, Northern Colorado with the CJD DL650 R

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #54
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,366
I like what you're doing

Similar path with a different beginning

Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #55
lioulios
n00b

Oddometer: 3
WoW
lioulios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #56
vsaltao
Adventurer

CJ /mdfehrmann , how is the stopping power off the Wee with only one front disk?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #57
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Wee Strom, DL650 is proved itself as a great gravel tourer in its stock form. Some people were trying to push it even further to unmaitained dirt roads and tracks. And here the problems started to show up. For this kind of riding DL650 was totally wrong tool. The obvious things were enormous mass, lack of suspension movement, and not enough of ground clearance. So everybody has started to address those issues with a great reported success. Check the old threads in this very board for “thin strom”, “suspension upgrade”, “building weestrom for off road” and so on. You will discover the OP just tries to put aged ideas on a commercial footing. Getting rid of the faring, lights and controls, and replacing them with ugly and expensive commercially available aftermarket stuff to save some 4 kg up front. Then get rid of the front fork and replace it with one from DR650, requires DR650 wheal, brake and triple tree mod, to get some more up front movement. Put in a custom build shock with enlarged travel to gain in rear movement/ground clearance. All that has been known for years. Now, none of the bikes that were modified as said and gathered applauses at their time, 7 to 2 years ago, are not here any longer. Why? Various reasons, but I think that people eventually come to understanding that if a system as a whole thing is wrong, changing its components will not turn it into the right one. Enlarging suspension travel will rise already extremely high COG even upper and convert difficult low speed manoeuvres into impossible ones. And it wont turn the road intended rake angles into off road ones. Let alone frame/swing arm lengths. The wrong engine, with no low rpm torque, with hanging filter and oil cooler is not going to get torque or get rid of the hanging down pieces. Taking some mass from the front helps but bad weather protection/wind management will be converted to none. The best in industry OEM head lights and very good OEM instruments will be replaced wirh ugly aftermarket units having ¼ of OEM functionality. And so on.
A resume. To cj – good luck. To all considered, check this board, you will find all suggested mods in described details, they are not that hard for DIY.
Everybody can extend his gravel roads performance by changing tires and performing simple suspension work, and the main – practice. If you intend to go beyond, ride trails, tracks, unmaintained forest/mountain roads do not waste your time/money, get another bike.

amk screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 11:54 AM
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #58
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,366
Half the fun is having something different, set up the way you want it. These bikes can be made to be just as capable as a more expensive KTM or BMW Twins with longer service intervals & better reliability. Parts availability is generally improved as well. The parts he's replacing happen to be parts that are commonly damaged in a minor accident, making a salvage bike an ideal candidate to update.
True dirt bikes? No, but awesome adventure bikes definately
Mine tips the scales at 440lbs ready to ride, 5.4 gallons of fuel, racks & engine guards & skid pans installed.
Compare that the 540lb KTM990 I had equipped the same way. The KTM got mid to high 30's mpg, my jap bike gets low 40's if I ride it like I stole it & gets high 40's if I behave.
Easy 200 mile range with less fuel on board.

4play screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 12:23 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #59
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Half the fun is having something different, set up the way you want it. These bikes can be made to be just as capable as a more expensive KTM or BMW Twins with longer service intervals & better reliability. Parts availability is generally improved as well. The parts he's replacing happen to be parts that are commonly damaged in a minor accident, making a salvage bike an ideal candidate to update.
True dirt bikes? No, but awesome adventure bikes definately
Mine tips the scales at 440lbs ready to ride, 5.4 gallons of fuel, racks & engine guards & skid pans installed.
Compare that the 540lb KTM990 I had equipped the same way. The KTM got mid to high 30's mpg, my jap bike gets low 40's if I ride it like I stole it & gets high 40's if I behave.
Easy 200 mile range with less fuel on board.
While I agree with the comments made above, I wouldn't say that a naked down version of a versys or vstrom is better compared with an SE which is still lighter than 440lbs quite more powerful and if properly jetted will get low-mid 40s mpg if you behave. But certainly making your own conversion involves a lot of inventive fun!

mousitsas screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 11:48 PM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #60
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 450
I don't normally respond to such posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Wee Strom, DL650 is proved itself as a great gravel tourer in its stock form. Some people were trying to push it even further to unmaitained dirt roads and tracks. And here the problems started to show up. For this kind of riding DL650 was totally wrong tool. The obvious things were enormous mass, lack of suspension movement, and not enough of ground clearance. So everybody has started to address those issues with a great reported success. Check the old threads in this very board for “thin strom”, “suspension upgrade”, “building weestrom for off road” and so on. You will discover the OP just tries to put aged ideas on a commercial footing. Getting rid of the faring, lights and controls, and replacing them with ugly and expensive commercially available aftermarket stuff to save some 4 kg up front. Then get rid of the front fork and replace it with one from DR650, requires DR650 wheal, brake and triple tree mod, to get some more up front movement. Put in a custom build shock with enlarged travel to gain in rear movement/ground clearance. All that has been known for years. Now, none of the bikes that were modified as said and gathered applauses at their time, 7 to 2 years ago, are not here any longer. Why? Various reasons, but I think that people eventually come to understanding that if a system as a whole thing is wrong, changing its components will not turn it into the right one. Enlarging suspension travel will rise already extremely high COG even upper and convert difficult low speed manoeuvres into impossible ones. And it wont turn the road intended rake angles into off road ones. Let alone frame/swing arm lengths. The wrong engine, with no low rpm torque, with hanging filter and oil cooler is not going to get torque or get rid of the hanging down pieces. Taking some mass from the front helps but bad weather protection/wind management will be converted to none. The best in industry OEM head lights and very good OEM instruments will be replaced wirh ugly aftermarket units having ¼ of OEM functionality. And so on.
A resume. To cj – good luck. To all considered, check this board, you will find all suggested mods in described details, they are not that hard for DIY.
Everybody can extend his gravel roads performance by changing tires and performing simple suspension work, and the main – practice. If you intend to go beyond, ride trails, tracks, unmaintained forest/mountain roads do not waste your time/money, get another bike.
...but this thread is about one gentleman's/company's efforts to build a bike they like and make it marketable to others. Why rain on that? Don't like it? Don't buy it or don't change your bike.

I cannot do DIY conversions like others have done. If I was interested in changing my DL650 into something more along these lines, this could be an awesome option, as it seems completely plug and play.

CJ Designs-hope it works out for you.

Rant and thread hijack over. Sorry...