Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #2101
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Is there a brief synopsis of project-to-project changes and/or differences you can point out, as to why you decided to start over each time? Have the er..."mission profiles" been that different enough, trip to trip, to shelve one build in favour of another?
each of the previous bikes has been different, with the V649 bike a jump ahead in performance. the current build won't deviate from that basic recipe much since i know it works, and that "mission" remains the same.

winter is coming, gotta take up residence in the shop, build something.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #2102
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
I was thinking the same. JD does great work but I think the way the rear shock has to mount limits the rear suspension on the bike. And its heavy... but who knows what JD will come up with.
no attempt to build a dirt bike here, so the rear suspension has proven suitable for the roads i ride these days. for a fact, i've never turned away from a road for lack of suspension on the V649.

these bikes will never be light in the absolute sense, but there are others just as heavy, some heavier. i've never weighed any of them, but i do know they go where i point them.

anyone who has set that ptwin motor in the frame by hand will recognize the problem...there's 130# of cop motor there.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #2103
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
I'd like to hear of the design/construction evolution synopsis also...been looking for a cheap kawi in my area with no luck
not as many people in your home area compared to east of the Mississippi, and they buy different bikes. the ER6 bikes are more an urban choice, and it still seems there are plenty around for a budget build.

both of the last parts bikes had asking prices above my budget, but i was able to purchase at less than half the asking price, and then i was back on track.

you have to know the market and what you're buying, such as the cost of any missing or wrecked parts, as well as the value of any parts you can sell. except for several assemblies, the parts market remains soft, good for buying, but you need to be realistic when estimating the value of anything you intend to sell.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #2104
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
each of the previous bikes has been different, with the V649 bike a jump ahead in performance. the current build won't deviate from that basic recipe much since i know it works, and that "mission" remains the same.

winter is coming, gotta take up residence in the shop, build something.
Thanks JD, I am looking forward to it as always
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #2105
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,576
Any updates for the peanut gallery here?
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #2106
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Any updates for the peanut gallery here?
got a flu shot, a week later had what feels like the flu. that makes the second year in a row that has happened. lost some days.

all i got done was to pick up a bunch of stuff from my machine shop...that and mail some parts to the Texas/Mexico border for a rider swapping in a 19" front and an R1 shock. the machine work on all my stuff is well documented and easy for a competent machinist, but his local shops ruined some parts for him before he called in the cavalry. if a shop can't or won't do a job, just say so, don't ruin the freakin' part. i'll put up a photo when i get a chance, crazy stuff.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #2107
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Yeah, I'm leery of flu shots.

As far as the machine shop nuts.

We'll be waiting when you have time to post. Have a good weekend.

David
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #2108
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
As far as the machine shop nuts.
dodged the XO, snuck out to the shop for a minute...read on.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #2109
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

some talk about rotors...

a DL1000 19" wheel is an easy swap on the Versys with OEM forks, and i've run this setup myself, works great, and is fully documented. guys running this setup retain both OEM Versys calipers, and all that's needed is a set of 300mm rotors that fit the DL hub and a pair of spacers, no problem.

A Texas rider found a DL wheel that came with 310mm DL rotors, all in good shape, and the process should have gone well from there except when he sent the rotors out to be machined to 300mm, this is what he got back.

i don't know what the guy thought a rotor is made of, maybe cheese, and the chattering sound when he started the tooling on the rotor must have been something to hear, freakin' idiot. scratch one DL rotor, ruined.

the cost of a 310mm suzuki rotor is somewhat modest, but a matched set from a DL will always bring good money, so this was a very costly mistake.

could have been worse, but i just happened to have a set of 300mm rotors that fit his wheel, so we swapped rotors, and he should have his moto on the road next week. better know your machinist before you turn over the work.

suzuki rotors that fit the DL hub are 290, 300, 310, and 320mm. the 290 only comes into play if your build uses 41mm KLR forks. it doesn't work with Versys forks, and is too small to bother with when using the DRZ forks.

some examples...

on the left is a 320mm TL rotor, on the right is that 310mm DL. you can see the differences, as well as the similarities. there's a whole series of these rotors that span a decade or more of production across many models, but use the same bolt pattern and 70mm ID center. 6 and 8 button rotors are the most common, and if rotor shopping, it doesn't take long to get a feel for what fits and what doesn't. just make sure you know what diameter you're buying.

if the wheel you purchase doesn't come with rotors, then you may have a choice in buying either open or closed center rotors. the hub itself is open, and i've run both.

the block off plate was turned from the closed center of an SV rotor, and would be used with DRZ or KLR forks where you're running only a left side rotor. any scrap suzuki rotor with the right bolt pattern and 70mm center will do, ya don't want to spend money for a rotor you're going to cut up.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #2110
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i had some tubing at my local shop to be turned for 2 pairs of DRZ400 fork to Versys fork clamp adapters. the guy was very busy, and it took a long time to get the things back.

i went over to pick them up, excellent work, except that the sleeves were supposed to be slotted 3mm for concentric clamping, not 1mm. 3mm is about the standing opening at the clamp, and the two need to match. hmmmm, my guy wasn't there, plus the shop had done me plenty of favors, no use making a big damn fuss, and i took them home.

i had to think about it for a bit to determine a method to widen the slot without damaging the piece, made a decision, jumped on in.

whew, the photo shows one at 3mm and three at 1mm that i hadn't cut yet.

two of the adapters go out monday to a friend prepping a Versys for a RTW venture. strange to look at the photo and think of those little home brewed parts traveling around the world.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #2111
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Your going to start a business here, Dave's Mods and Rat Bike Parts. Nice work.

David
Old 10-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #2112
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Your going to start a business here, Dave's Mods and Rat Bike Parts...
not me, i can't find time to get my own stuff done, but in these instances, i was in a position to take care of a few things, and did.

...but, within hours of putting up the photo of the sleeves, i got an email from a rider in a very distant location also doing the DRZ suspension, and speculating on whether his local shops were up to turning those parts. offhand, he didn't think so.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #2113
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

I've spent a little time looking for machine shops near our pipeline facilities which stretch over a four state region. Usually the best recommendations come from places that sell steel. Obviously how effective this is varies but it is one method I have used. Out here, it wouldn't surprise me if you have to travel 100-150 mile to find a good shop.

Our company welders also know many of the people in this business, but that isn't a source most people have.

David
Old 10-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #2114
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I've spent a little time looking for machine shops...
there's no lack of shops in his area, he just hasn't found one with real favorable reviews.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #2115
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Hey JD,

Looking forward to the new build. What diameter are the DRZ upper tubes? What size are late model KLR upper tubes? I take it the DRZ must be superior legs since they end up on your builds.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote