Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #61
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
...but this thread is about one gentleman's/company's efforts to build a bike they like and make it marketable to others. Why rain on that? Don't like it? Don't buy it or don't change your bike.

I cannot do DIY conversions like others have done. If I was interested in changing my DL650 into something more along these lines, this could be an awesome option, as it seems completely plug and play.

CJ Designs-hope it works out for you.

Rant and thread hijack over. Sorry...
Interesting plans here. I did something different to the strom I had also. Mecasystems fairing matched to the front end, custom sides to match, custom nav tower and mount, 7 inch custom rear shock, YZ USD front end with 9 inches of travel, spoked wheels front and back, re-mounted the oil cooler and therefore changed the exhaust routing, hence a different bash plate closer to the engine etc etc etc. Looked quite good, went well etc etc.

But I will say this, its a strom, not meaning this kind of project won't work, its more a case of GS riders spend money because the bike cost a lot, KTM riders spend money for a simlar reason. DR/KLR riders tend to less as the bikes cost less and your not buying one of them because of the massive farkles. I mean by this costly farkles, OEM panniers, protection etc how often do you see a GS with OEM panniers etc vs one with no name home made cheapies. You'll do more DR/KLR mods because they are reliable etc.

I think the strom is in the same league. So if this is going to work as a bolt on option the costs need to be pretty reasonable compared to the price of the bike. No doubt people are interested.

In the end my costs could have easily covered a new 690 enduro or equivalent. Mine now has a 1050 tank and looks like a flat tracker, I think pretty cool, but I don't think I'd ever make money from any kind of bolt on kit.

My thoughts, I'll watch with interest.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #62
vsaltao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
And for those guys like me that already have a drz and a wee this could be a even better mod . It will always be a "pig", but if it can be a better offroad one the better. Regarding the very high COG if we use only half tank would it not lower it a bit? (even half tank goes for like 200 km).
The only problem that i see is the stopping power and if it will be "easy" to change from the TT mod to stock and vice-versa (2 up and for long journeys the stock will always be better).
vsaltao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #63
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfehrmann View Post
The images are going to be slow going for a minute I have some deadlines that have to be met before I can get through the Colorado testing images. Here are some details of the custom parts fabricated for this project.
Enjoy, I'll get more up when I can.

Matthew

Are the forks adjusted in the triples like this so that the front 21inch wheel doesn't hit anything. I would have always run the fork caps level with the triples but thats me.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #64
vsaltao
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Interesting plans here. I did something different to the strom I had also. Mecasystems fairing matched to the front end, custom sides to match, custom nav tower and mount, 7 inch custom rear shock, YZ USD front end with 9 inches of travel, spoked wheels front and back, re-mounted the oil cooler and therefore changed the exhaust routing, hence a different bash plate closer to the engine etc etc etc. Looked quite good, went well etc etc.

But I will say this, its a strom, not meaning this kind of project won't work, its more a case of GS riders spend money because the bike cost a lot, KTM riders spend money for a simlar reason. DR/KLR riders tend to less as the bikes cost less and your not buying one of them because of the massive farkles. I mean by this costly farkles, OEM panniers, protection etc how often do you see a GS with OEM panniers etc vs one with no name home made cheapies. You'll do more DR/KLR mods because they are reliable etc.

I think the strom is in the same league. So if this is going to work as a bolt on option the costs need to be pretty reasonable compared to the price of the bike. No doubt people are interested.

In the end my costs could have easily covered a new 690 enduro or equivalent. Mine now has a 1050 tank and looks like a flat tracker, I think pretty cool, but I don't think I'd ever make money from any kind of bolt on kit.

My thoughts, I'll watch with interest.

Do you have photos of it :) . I dont think i would ever do as much mods as you (as you said it would be better just to buy a ktm). But if the price is right for this mod , for the price of a ktm or a gs i will have a drz a street wee and a "offroad" wee and still have money to go on adventures :)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #65
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
cost of the kit

Again, all this "project" offers can be easily done by anybody who knows that in order to undo a bolt it has to be rotated "lefty", usually. It has nothing to do complexity wise with in depth projects as of Tileman or others.

Unbolt everything on the front side, go here: http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...roducts/lynx16 get the faring and lights ~ $540 faring, lights up to $195

Search around for Vapor Speedometer and dash, http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor about $150

DR650 fork, wheel, bigger rotor, brake, and triple tree, plus new springs, and some valve emulators. I am sure, having enough time all stuff can be collected under $1000 - $1500. OK, probably OP knows a source for DR560 front for cheap.

Get an enlarged shock form Cogent or similar, http://www.motocd.com/moto/ again ~ $700 - $1500

That is all. Total ~ $3000. Anybody can easily blow it up to $5000 and higher, but to get it down to $2000 will take some real efforts and/or cutting some corners.

In my understanding, commercially viable it might be, if the OP would have suggested kit + installation for "differently talented".

Buying a used Wee for $3000 - $4000 and put in another $3000 in parts? Do not know.

Guys, buying wrecked or insurance written off bikes, usually know what and how to wrench.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #66
vsaltao
Adventurer

hummm as i said before i would like first to try (if possible) to just use the drz front fork (free as i have one) and some rear links (use stock shock) to gain some distance to the ground and have a 21 front
Then probably some twin headlights (100 euros on ebay) and a vapor (wich i already have) or even try to use the stock speedometer).
I can do some stuff (most of the maintence of my bikes is done by me) but i cant machine parts...
Old 10-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #67
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaltao View Post
Do you have photos of it :) . I dont think i would ever do as much mods as you (as you said it would be better just to buy a ktm). But if the price is right for this mod , for the price of a ktm or a gs i will have a drz a street wee and a "offroad" wee and still have money to go on adventures :)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #68
vsaltao
Adventurer

niceee
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #69
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Cool2 Wee kit

I am following this thread with interest.

I bought a damaged Wee at auction last year that needed a front end.
(The front wheel on the Wee must be one of the weakest wheels made as they seem to break when hitting a pebble in the road)

As Tileman said though, I will most likely do all mods myself and I have already picked up a DR650 front end for it.

I like to see all the mods owners do to the Wee, but I probably won't be buying any parts I can scrounge or make, let alone a "Kit", even if it is an easy bolt on.

I want better suspension but not the ridiculous seat height required of longer travel.
I want spoke wheels that are affordable, and much lighter and stronger than the stock cast clunkers.
I want a strong skid plate that is solidly mounted.
I want a new front cylinder head pipe that doesn't hang down below the engine.
I want NO "plastic".
I want a lower cg with an under seat fuel tank/subframe.
I want much less weight! Too stinkin' heavy!

Does it matter what I want? Nope.

I agree with Mr. Tileman, if I had the money I would probably be riding a KTM and spending thousands on farkles for it.
I don't have that much money and I like making things instead of buying.

I made my own $20 midpipe to mount my Craigslist GSXR $30 muffler on my DR650 instead of paying $200 for the excellent Kientech midpipe, or $500 (or more) for a complete aftermarket exhaust.

Will CJD be able to find buyers for their Wee parts? I certainly hope so!

It is possible I might buy something from them if I can't make it myself.

ProCycle has sold me a lot of parts over the years.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #70
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Having been down this road before ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680675 ), maybe I can offer some advice.

1) If you got the inseem for it, raising the suspension on the DL650 is HIGHLY recommended if you want to take the bike on anything more than graded fire roads.

2) If raising the suspension, I would strongly recommend limiting the suspension travel to around 7.5 to 8" max. You are raising the center of gravity and seat height, and I believe this is the point of diminishing returns on these bikes (i.e., clearance vs overall handing/performance/maneuverability).

3) If I was to design and manufacture a "raised" suspension kit to sell to the masses, it would include the following:
a) cartridge emulators- Ricor, Race Tech, Cogent...
b) longer damper rod
c) a longer decarbon-style (internal floating piston) shock, preferably with a body diameter capable of utilizing the OEM hydraulic preload adjuster. I would probably skip the external reservoir if I did it again.

I think that a vendor could put together a kit like this for about $1000 ($150 damper rods, $150 emulators, $600-700 shock) and still make a nice profit.

There's nothing wrong with using the stock fork tubes and just upgrading damping rods and adding emulators. The stock springs actually work really well in this setup too. Using the stock tubes really keeps the cost and complexity down, since you can use the OEM triples, gauge cluster, wheel, brakes, etc. The whole installation procedure is no more work than it would be to install the emulators.

I no longer own my DL650, since I got away from street bikes when my son was born (I'd rather spend my limited free time primarily in the dirt). A close friend of mine, who only lives 5 miles from me, bought it. He's put about 8-10k miles on it and absolutely loves it, and everything has held up great. If I was to get another Strom in the future, I would not hesitate to buy a suspension kit for it, as I described above.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #71
oldhound59
n00b

Oddometer: 4
And now, a message from the owner

I am the owner of this particular bike, CJDL-650R. Let me start out by saying that I really liked my stock DL. Iíve owned it since new in 09, putting on about 18,000 miles and a lot of fond memories.

The DL was never advertised as an off road capable machine which is obvious when looking at suspension travel, ground clearance, wheels, etc. The DL also doesnít like road surfaces that are anything short of hard pack. Combination of 19Ē front wheel and excessive front end weight make the bike want to plow into soft surface making for an often unsettling riding experience. It wasnít until I started travelling with a group of KTM Adventure riders and doing real adventure rides that I realized I either had to buy a new bike or do something with mine or it would end up a smoking wreck on some back woods trail (thinking of specific portions of the Wisconsin Dead Horse trail) . When I approached CJ my idea was to build something capable and unique, CJís idea was to work toward creating a low cost adventure bike ďupgrade kitĒ for people who couldnít afford or donít want to spend the money on a big name adventure bike. We were never out to create a ďbetterĒ adventure bike, just a better Offroad kit that would make the DL more capable. What I ended up with is a competent, reliable, flexible, and most importantly, an affordable adventure capable bike that retains all of the great aspects of the DL; bullet proof reliability, beautifully smooth motor/clutch interface, and, itís inexpensive on the secondary market.

I spent many hours looking through forums at bikes others had built but never found anything close to what I was looking for. Thinking that the build would be fairly straight forward I starting to collect the parts I thought would be needed. The main focus at that time was making sure the headset bearings were same dimensions which is what drove me to the DRZ400 forks and triple clamp tree. When I installed the DRZ OEM clamps I soon discovered that steering was very limited from lock to lock. I would have had the turning radius of a city bus, maybe. i could not find any other OEM clamps or a vendor that offered a ďbolt onĒ kit that would accept DRZ forks, or any other non OEM dimension forks. Thatís when I realized this was going to be a fairly complicated project and I really needed CJ to take a look at this and develop something.

With CJ involved things really began to take off and I/we had to think about many other issues other than front suspension. One of the main issues was braking. We used a stock DRZ 400S front brake assembly clamping on a Warp 9 320mm rotor. This setup is not grabby, offers good feel and plenty of breaking power on dirt or pavement. You can lock up the front wheel if you feel the need. In all the offroad riding Iíve done with it I never over cooked the brakes. I am every bit as confident with this brake setup as I was with the stock dual rotor setup.

The acid test was a recent trip to Colorado to run the Back Country Discovery Route from Four Corners to Steamboat Springs along with many side trips. We took roads out and back from Wisconsin a total of about 5000 miles. The bike worked great, never had a mechanical issue and, was able to go everywhere the KTM big bikes I was with went. Fully loaded! The bike was nimble, responsive and able to absorb the big blows that are inevitable when ascending and descending talus strewn mountain passes, gnarly 2 track, and the inevitable off. Plus, I got about 40 -45 MPG. Essentially I knocked the hell out of it for about 2000 trail miles without so much as a hiccup. Plus, I can now service my air filter start to finish in less than 20 minutes. Try that on a stock DL. There is no comparison with the stock DL, itís a different bike. Itís not better or worse than a stock DL, but different, a purpose built adventure bike that can take you just about anywhere you want to go.

Over the winter I will probably make a few changes to the setup. I will look at lowering the bike. Right now it is very tall, with more ground clearance and suspension travel than a KTM Adventure bike. Fully geared up I weigh about 165 pounds and maybe 5í9Ē tall so in reality I donít need as much suspension travel as I have and getting on and off the bike can sometimes be a challenge . I think having a little less ground clearance (lowering the bike) will make me more capable on the really tough stuff because I can get my feet on the ground helping to stabilize me at low speed. So, wth that said, Iím thinking about lowering the bike, how much I havenít yet determined, and putting a flatter seat on it. Iíll be talking to Renazco about building a seat more in the dirt bike style so I donít feel like Iím sitting inside the bike.

Then Iím heading out west for another Back Country Discovery Route.

See you on the trail.
oldhound59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #72
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Thanks for the background information on how your DL650 project came to be.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #73
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Thumb Excellent owner review

Thanks Oldhound,

That is a great write-up about your bike.

I also liked the great mention of CJD in the new issue of Cycle World.

I am looking forward to more information about the kits and/or parts that CJD will come up with for the DL.

My goal is about 8" of travel with excellent damping.

Less weight everywhere, and a really stout bash plate.

How about more pictures of your bike in action on the trail?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #74
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,897
"What I ended up with is a competent, reliable, flexible, and most importantly, an affordable adventure capable bike that retains all of the great aspects of the DL; bullet proof reliability, beautifully smooth motor/clutch interface, and, itís inexpensive on the secondary market."

can't see anything wrong with that, did the same thing myself, although a different platform.

forget the naysayers, build what you want.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #75
vsaltao
Adventurer

Thanx oldhound, please keep us posted in changes you make on the bike and if you were able to lower it a bit (strange thing to say to a owner of a wee )