Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post
Thanks, Twilight Error! I hear ya about the zippered tights. I have them as well for running and experience the same discomfort. I've got bicycling shorts with crotch padding and was thinking of using them for more comfort and possibly getting longer ones... thoughts???
They help on long rides, but you may go through a couple brands before you find a pad that works best. I like Castelli, they work well on both my GS and bicycles.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #62
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,393
You will be riding in the mountains in September. That is transition time out here. You could literary be snowed in on a pass or have some of the best riding days of your life. I would consider weather to be your biggest threat. It will be below freezing in the mornings. Your BF needs to remember that fact when you are riding curves on the dark side of the mountains. The frost can be present on the Hwy until 9 or 10 am. You can have full sunshine or down poring rain. Are you prepared for that? Normally the best way to deal with Colorado weather in the fall is lots of base layers or electrics. Base layers are great because they can be added or removed. For a 90 lbs lady this could be critical. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fat to hold in body heat. Warm gloves is critical. Forget the slider shit. Go look at what the rider warehouse wants to sell you. Or a good set of BMW gloves. The warm one. Harley is even selling good weather gear these days. As far as rain goes. A lot of stylish touring jackets are to open mesh to keep the water out. You can help seal with water proof wax that you can get at REI. It's the stuff that you put in the wash when you clean you jackets.
This is one common brand of wax. Since the images are not coming through the brand is Nikwax.
Also I see that wikki has a good write up on water proofing cloths.
Also if the cold weather hits a great neck gater helps. It's a wool sock that you can put over your head down on to the top of your shoulders. It keeps you warm in the space between your helmet and your jacket. And don't for get warm socks. Heavy wool ones.
When you are out on a motorcycle and the weather sets in you have no excape. You can't just roll up the windows. And being cold and wet it only take a fraction of an hour for hypothermia to set in.

If I had a riding partner I would be looking to outfit her with some of the following items.
At least 2 or 3 layers of smartwool product. Get the heavy nap stuff.
Aerostich (riderwarehouse) has an off hwy jersey that is wind proof. I can't get their website to respond right now. But that jersey isn't costly or bulky. It is both wind and water proof. You would not belive some of the rain storms that I ride through completly dry with that as my only protection.

Lastly, I see that your BF made his front pegs wider. If you ride passes like engineer pass or others it would be great if you could put your feet on the front pegs outside of his boots. Then push your self back on the rear of the seat. It will make the down hills go better for you and it will give him more room to ride.

Stay warm and have fun. And remember it can be 80 degrees at the camp. But on the mountain it's hail or snow. I've seen this many times.

Lastly one stray comment about gear with turtle shells in them. When you get into the mountains just take a moment to look at the highway and what your run out paths might be if you came off the bike at speeds. There really isn't any room to slide it out. Just rocks on one side and a gully on the other. For that reason riding suits like the road crafter make more sense. They offer you some abrasion protection. But they also stop you before you fly off the cliff.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #63
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:

I like the Adventure Slippers!!

Seriously, tuffenuff, I think you have received some very good advice here. I'm a passenger myself with lots of miles under my belt (so to speak), but we stick to paved roads mostly. It looks like you've got good gear and it sounds like an epic adventure for both of you.

Have a GREAT time!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #64
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
Thanks for the additional guidance fellow inmates We can't wait until 9/6 to depart for Cortez, CO where we begin our epic trip 2-up with 3 other 990 adventure riders. Today, I drilled and installed some grub screws in the passenger pegs to give her additional grip off-road and I've got the AdvDesigns highway pegs up front for stretching the legs on open stretches. TuffEnuff ordered the Airhawk (original) pillion size pad for the rear and we're going to shim the front with a folded towel and experiment to get her seating position a bit flatter and more comfortable. The seat profile on the Renazco is slanted pretty aggressively, so I won't be surprised if she slides forward a lot. We'll shake those things out in the coming weeks before our big trip.

Lots of great advice in here and yes, we'll both be wearing Camelbacks and hydrating well. I'm concerned a bit about the 13K foot elevations in Colorado than hydration. Hopefully, no one on the ride gets the dreaded altitude sickness. I'm still debating whether I want to use the Touratech hard panniers or Wolfman soft expedition bags on this trip. The hard panniers with the OR compression bags on top will give her armrests and they are a bit larger, but the soft bags are lighter and safer. Decisions....

Hey Jeremy, Hi Prev!
I didn't know you guys had a whole thread going!
I think I answered all your questions via PMs, but just found this today and I wanted to add a couple things...

OK - I have to say that an airhawk probably won't be great off road.
It will only cause you problems. If you were riding slab out to CO, you might want it, but since you are trucking...leave it at home.

Take the Expedition bags, for sure. DO NOT take hard bags. Those TT bags are huge and they will be a nightmare in the sand.
As you know, we did the UTBDR last year, and just came back from 2 weeks in CO and UT (including lots of Moab and part of the white rim).
I wouldn't steer you wrong on this.
Even if you don't do Lockhart Basin, there is a lot of sand at Mineral Bottom right now.
Soft bags!!
Don't even think about a top case. Not in the dirt. Not on the UTBDR.

I'm happy to see you put the grub screws in her pegs! It will make a huge difference, I promise.
That was one of Matt's best ideas, ever!
The screws are invaluable when your feet are wet and/or muddy.
But, Prev, you will still have to use your legs to brace yourself when it's rough.
Dig in with your heels and grip the bike.

People give a lot of advice about standing up in the dirt...
Maybe it works for some, but it doesn't work great for us.
We go so much faster when we both sit. And, it's safer in sand and loose rocks.

Go ahead and try both ways and see what feels best. But I'm pretty sure you're going to want to sit.
If you do both stand (on the UTBDR), make sure you have MikeZ film it

By the way, you WILL crash. That's just what happens when you go 2 up in the sand.
The first time will be scary and then you'll get used to it.
Stay calm and you'll be fine.
Also - don't go too slow - we crash more going slow.

The key to successful 2 up dirt is - trust.
A scared passenger is a horrible passenger.
A calm passenger is a great passenger.
Stay relaxed and loose and things will flow.
If you are tight and tense and freaking out...you guys will only crash more.

And, Jeremy, be patient. Prev is going to be nervous, having no control is terrifying.
Be calm and reassuring.
This is her first trip, it takes a while to get the hang of things.

haha, is that enough advice?
I know you're leaving soon - good luck and have a wonderful trip!
kelly

p.s. the Motoport gear looks fantastic! can't wait to hear how it performs in the rain.

Here's a little video to get you inspired. Two up riding on a 990 is awesome!
This is nevada, but the conditions are similar to what you'll find on the UTBDR (just imagine red rocks )

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #65
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
You will be riding in the mountains in September. That is transition time out here...
Thanks for the prep/pepcondition advice and talk Hair! Much appreciated! See my PM as well. :-) I am definitely going to get a neck gater! I bought 100% waterproof liners with my Motoport but will also look into the wax idea, mainly for my boots. *The jacket liner is 2 layers - 1 waterproof and 1 insulation - so I can do and/or. Will look into glove possibilities as well, I hear ya about staying warm - I ski a lot at Heavenly, and I always try to keep warm.

My BF, DARKRYDER and friend ZEEGMAN did a prep ride in Mendo this weekend and it was awesome! I will do a mini RR so stay tuned!
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #66
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
I like the Adventure Slippers!!

Seriously, tuffenuff, I think you have received some very good advice here. I'm a passenger myself with lots of miles under my belt (so to speak), but we stick to paved roads mostly. It looks like you've got good gear and it sounds like an epic adventure for both of you.

Have a GREAT time!
LOL! The adv slippers are very comfy.

The advice has been awesome and has been exremely helpful in prepping me gear-wise and mentally! My BF and his friends have been great! The prep ride we just did made me eager for more and I can't wait for the epic ride to begin!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #67
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
LOL! The adv slippers are very comfy.

The advice has been awesome and has been exremely helpful in prepping me gear-wise and mentally! My BF and his friends have been great! The prep ride we just did made me eager for more and I can't wait for the epic ride to begin!
If no one else has mentioned it, take a camera. I found a small Nikon with a zoom that I can operate with one hand for $150. Sitting on the back, you get to look around much more and can take lots of pictures, so do it. You won't regret it.

Have fun.
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #68
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Lastly, I see that your BF made his front pegs wider. If you ride passes like engineer pass or others it would be great if you could put your feet on the front pegs outside of his boots. Then push your self back on the rear of the seat. It will make the down hills go better for you and it will give him more room to ride.

Stay warm and have fun. And remember it can be 80 degrees at the camp. But on the mountain it's hail or snow. I've seen this many times.

Lastly one stray comment about gear with turtle shells in them. When you get into the mountains just take a moment to look at the highway and what your run out paths might be if you came off the bike at speeds. There really isn't any room to slide it out. Just rocks on one side and a gully on the other. For that reason riding suits like the road crafter make more sense. They offer you some abrasion protection. But they also stop you before you fly off the cliff.
Forgot the rest of my reply .... Unfortunately, I can't reach his pegs .... but I was able to detect right away that I could use my pegs coupled with my hand/s on the back grab bars or bottom of back luggage rack for leverage and keep myself from going forward as needed especially downhill (what a great workout! ). My bmx/mountain biking days in the past is coming back to help me get acclimated quickly with logical reflexes/movement.

Good point on the run out paths! On our prep ride, I found myself looking ahead during the ride as well and scoping things out as best I could, in order to anticipate & react & plan what if scenarios in split seconds. I'm expecting anything and everything but trying not to overthink, just relax and enjoy.

I can't wait for the adventure to truly begin! I am hooked!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #69
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
If no one else has mentioned it, take a camera. I found a small Nikon with a zoom that I can operate with one hand for $150. Sitting on the back, you get to look around much more and can take lots of pictures, so do it. You won't regret it.

Have fun.
Scott Fraser
Most definitely Scott! I'm a shutterbug. My BF, darkryder has a ruggedized Nikon that we'll be using and I'm looking to invest in a Go Pro tomorrow. I used the Nikon on our recent prep ride and the pics & 1 vid I took while moving turned out not too bad. I will take lots of pics in Sept! Can't wait!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #70
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hey Jeremy, Hi Prev!
I didn't know you guys had a whole thread going!
I think I answered all your questions via PMs, but just found this today and I wanted to add a couple things.......
Thanks for all the great advice LittleWan! They were/continue to be instrumental in our prep!

Airhawk: On our recent prep ride, I found it very helpful in my case. I adjusted it for slabbing, putting a tad bit more air and then lessened the air for the dirt. My butt was not sore at all. No Monkey Butt for me.

Bags: He's definitely sticking with the soft bags, no top case. Much lighter too! And thus I have to really be compact and smart with what I pack... I did pick up a couple of the quick drying undies you mentioned

Grub screws: Yes! Yes! Yes! It was an awesome mod! And definitely and instinctively used my legs to brace when rough and to leverage in order to resist forward slide coupled with holding on the back grab bars or bottom of luggage rack

Standing up in the dirt: he says he sat more when I was in back (standing up more when he's solo). During our test ride, we both practiced standing up/him sitting me standing/him standing me sitting/both sitting during certain technical spots (intercom was worth the investment!). I found myself standing while he was sitting when going through ruts. In the rocky stuff, he stood and I sat and braced and leveraged with my legs. We'll ask Mike Z to record if we both stand in UTBDR.

Crashing: I am prepared and expecting anything and everything to happen especially with the weather and how it can change the conditions in a split second. I've been fishing and skiing (not at the same time ) in blizzard that turned to sunny weather and vice versa.

Success and patience: So, he says his reassurance and patience is telling me to "hang on!"... I 100% agree with your comment, it does NOT help to be freaking out and stiff On our prep ride, I trusted him completely! I wasn't nervous at all. He is an excellent and experienced rider! I felt safe the entire time. Plus it helps not to look at the speedometer!

Motoport: Thanks! I am very happy with it. I do need to address a spot in my knees that seems to be getting some friction but otherwise I love the suit and the rest of the gear! Will update on performance after the Sept ride.

Thanks for the vid! I am loving reading your OSO LOCO RR! I am INSPIRED!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #71
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

My Mini RR is up and in progress :-)

Well, here's another first for me, a RR. In this case a mini one to remember my first ever Adventure Ride! Check it out! Thank you all so much for your advice which helped me get geared up and mentally prepared! I learned a lot from this ride and I can't wait for the big one to come! COBDR & UTBRD - here we come!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917065

I will update this thread on my own lessons learned so stay tuned...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #72
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,393
It's raining pretty hard here in Los Alamos. Heard that it's forecast for Steamboat too. Steady rain, 50 degree temps. I hope that you dressed warm.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #73
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
It's raining pretty hard here in Los Alamos. Heard that it's forecast for Steamboat too. Steady rain, 50 degree temps. I hope that you dressed warm.
Hi Hair, yes, most definitely. I checked out the weather for our ride and packed accordingly. :) My Motoport gear is keeping me warm and dry. We're doing the COBDR right now en route to Steamboat for the KTM rally and I am having an awesome time! Stay tuned for our RR. We are keeping an eye out on the weather as we move along. Thanks for the heads up. :)
Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #74
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

My blog is up

Hi All! Well, I bit the bullet and started a blog called La Petite Pillion.
http://lapetitepillion.blogspot.com/

It's a summary write up of my journey and experiences in Adventure Riding. My first post is a simple introduction on me becoming a pillion followed by Gearing up for an Adventure Ride which just pretty much consolidates in one place all the topics discussed here and over PMs.

I'll also be using the blog to provide more detail and insight into my riding adventures and as a complimentary diary to upcoming RR's. So if you're interested, please feel free to check it out and provide comments and feedback.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #75
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

COBDR & UTBDR RR is up!

Hi y'all!

Just wanted to update, a bit late with this one, but I've created our RR for the September COBDR & UTBDR trip. Check it out!

Passed out in CO & Washed out in UT. Hope you enjoy!