Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #18811
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Indian summer in full force here but cools fast in the evening. I got up far enough to torment the hunters yesterday but refrained from too much as the snow was a no for solo riding. 90 miles with most on pavement and gravel/dirt. With 15/41 it's comfortable up to 60/65. At 6,500 rpm it's still smooth but sounds a bit busy. If I were trying to cover a lot of miles on pavement I'd try a little higher gearing but I have a DR650 for that. I suppose at lower altitudes and on flatter terrain the 350 could pull a little taller gear.

Shouldn't there be a bit more color to this thread? A photo or two here and there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Its getting a bit cool here, and I had a lot of crap to do around the house, but I did get out for an evening ride tonight. For years I had the DR set up primarily for trail riding, and didn't use it much at all on the street. I find the DR (now geared at 15/43 and still with knobbies) perfect for country cruising at 50mph...and I look forward to gravel side roads and unmaintained sections.

I am thinking of dropping the gearing even further to 15/39 just to make the cruising more relaxed,

Nothing new here to report - just felt good after a ride and wanted to share.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #18812
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,076
Kickstand

My kickstand pretty much stands my DR straight up and down (not that bad but it feels like it). Has anyone shortened their kickstand a bit? If you have do you remember how much you took out and how do you like it?
I took about a 30 mile trip on my DR today, I have only put about 75 on the bike since I got it, and am really really enjoying it. I will post up a few pictures and give everyone the rundown on my XR Acerbis tank when I do. Things have been crazy busy and I have a couple rides coming up so I can get some post worthy pictures.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #18813
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
My kickstand pretty much stands my DR straight up and down (not that bad but it feels like it). Has anyone shortened their kickstand a bit? If you have do you remember how much you took out and how do you like it?
My kickstand is 14 1/8" from pad to center of bolt hole. Doesn't appear to have been shortened though bike has #3 Kouba links (lowered and fork tubes slid up max in triples) with stiffer Eibach springs and leans enough to be secure. Any chance you need more preload on the shock and fork springs? Have you measured static and race sag? My DR650 always felt on the verge of tipping off the stand until I put stiffer springs in. The stock spring rate was too soft and it had too much static sag.

http://www.promecha.com.au/dirtbike_setup_tuning.htm

I thought I'd put the stock links back on and raise the bike but it feels fine for now. If it goes up a couple of inches I may need a longer kickstand.

Enjoyed your TAT ride report. The old lady running you off gave a chuckle - been there. See you had the Wolfman E-12s on your XR. I just ordered a set today. Hope you can vouch for them. They look like a good fit for the DR350 and day trip essentials.

psmcd screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 09:22 PM
Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #18814
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

shifter & case

I was going to raise my shifter one notch on the shaft for moto boot clearance but the next position is way too high. As it is it forces me to either point toes too far down while riding or out from under shifter. Anyone using a longer shift lever or lower/farther back foot peg mounts?

My bike came with a Motion Pro heavy duty shifter. I don't know if it, or the original carved the case.

Since I don't have a case protector and I hate sharp edges, I beveled the inside tip of the shifter.

So that made me feel like I improved something but the shifter position is the real problem. It gets held up by the boot toe after a shift, preventing the reset to allow shifting to the next gear. I'll probably try some drop plates for the foot peg mounts, which I like on the 650. Otherwise it will require mods to the shift lever.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #18815
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
I've got my oem shifter raised a notch but a longer shifter would be a lot better.

I haven't been able to find anyone making one amd haven't resorted to fabrication yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #18816
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
+1 same issue.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #18817
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I took about a 30 mile trip on my DR today, I have only put about 75 on the bike since I got it, and am really really enjoying it. I will post up a few pictures and give everyone the rundown on my XR Acerbis tank when I do. Things have been crazy busy and I have a couple rides coming up so I can get some post worthy pictures.
i'll swap you a shortened one
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #18818
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
+1 same issue.
I had the front end wash on me a few months back and mmHg boot got caught on the shifter. If I hadn't been wearing good MX boots it'd have broken my ankle backwards. Instead it drove my knee into the ground and tore a ligament.

But if it wasn't angled up my foot wouldn't have even gotten caught.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #18819
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
i'll swap you a shortened one
After checking mine over it actually looks a bit bent. I will check it over tonight and try and fix my problem myself. If I end up needing to shorten it I will get ahold of you. Thanks.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #18820
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post

So that made me feel like I improved something but the shifter position is the real problem. It gets held up by the boot toe after a shift, preventing the reset to allow shifting to the next gear. I'll probably try some drop plates for the foot peg mounts, which I like on the 650. Otherwise it will require mods to the shift lever.
Are you riding along with your arch of your foot flopped over the footpeg?
Or are you shifting and then putting the ball of your foot back on the peg?
I could only get my foot caught in there if the arch is flopped over the peg.
With my foot in the right place it doesn't even reach the shifter.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #18821
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Are you riding along with your arch of your foot flopped over the footpeg?
Or are you shifting and then putting the ball of your foot back on the peg?
I could only get my foot caught in there if the arch is flopped over the peg.
With my foot in the right place it doesn't even reach the shifter.
I typically ride with arches on the pegs, toe under the shifter when accelerating, over the shifter decelerating. I only place ball of foot on pegs when in a deep rut or large rocks. My racing days are long past but even then placement was slightly behind ball of foot.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #18822
ghebinkim
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi SilverBullet,

Yes, with 15/41 gearing cruising at 70 MPH is not a problem at all. In fact, I seem to recall 75 being pretty easy to achieve with that gearing. I typically have 14/41 on mine and 65 is comfortable and 70 is certainly obtainable without much fuss or worry.

Regards,

Gregory Bender

Hey DR350 experts,

Sorry to quote such an old post, but I've got a question for you all:

I'm riding a '91 DR350S that has a 13/43 gearing. From what I understand, 14/43 is stock for this particular model. According to Gregory Bender's gearing calculator, I should be seeing 5700 rpm at 60 mph. However, I'm hitting an indicated 7k rpm at an indicated 50 mph. So... something is wrong or different!

Has anyone had any trouble with their tach over-reporting or the speedo under-reporting? I know speedos generally have a large error, but not THIS large... The only other thing I can think of is that the clutch could be slipping at high speeds, but it feels pretty grabby when I accelerate. Could someone have changed out the gearing in the transmission itself? Ideas would be appreciated... Thanks!

Kevin
ghebinkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #18823
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghebinkim View Post
Gregory Bender's gearing calculator
Hi Kevin,

To give credit where credit is due, that calculator is not mine (I just posted it on my website). Instead, it was created by Jim Randall.

Sorry, I don't have much in the way of helpful input. The tach on my 1999 SE seems pretty close to what the calculator predicts.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #18824
Dark_flame221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_flame221 View Post
Yeah well i used a 5/8 drill bit and finished the work with a dremel...

but i still got 2 issues : 1- my Freaking ktm heated grip being too long and i dont know if i can cut them a bit

2- The end of the handguard brace is making contact with the front brake line holder preventing me of putting it where it should sit ..

cuted the ktm grip about half an inch, and cuted the end guard brace but, still not exactly like i want them since their is interference between clutch cable and the hand guard brace.

Info : cycra hand guard with pro motion mounts, it's not a direct fit for a dr350se 98 :( or at least use some Tusk Handguard Adaptor instead should be way better
Dark_flame221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #18825
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghebinkim View Post
Has anyone had any trouble with their tach over-reporting or the speedo under-reporting? I know speedos generally have a large error, but not THIS large...
Kevin
My tach was wack with a bad battery. Showing 9,000 at 60 with 15/43.