Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,783
I have issues with non natural fibers too. I go with coconut, merino, or cotton, depending on the length of ride. The merino is the best though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
He's certainly not the only one. I can't stand them. In warm weather they are completely unbearable. The silicone in the legs irritates my skin, the material feels really cheap and unnatural, they are incredibly uncomfortable for me.

I use Icebreaker underwear pretty much exclusively for riding.

Edit: "feels cheap" is the wrong wording. It's good for non-natural material, but I dislike it anyways. It just feels like I pull on a piece of plastic.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphish View Post

Insert jokes here, but hopefully some insight as well.
Perhaps you should not pick up chicks in bars after 8 beers.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #33
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,477
I use these $10 and they work great for the "first" layer, hot or cold days.

I wash them every day, I carry two tops and two bottoms. They will, in a pinch dry over night if you use the roll up in a dry towel method. But that's why I carry two sets.

I like em

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #34
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
I've used mine on a couple of 12 hr. rides including one Kentucky to Florida in late July...temps in the upper 90's. Best thing I've ever tried for sure. I do launder them at the end of the day in the sink & they are pretty dry the next morning. I like 'em a lot...worth the money to me.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #35
mariowink
Comfort Rider

Oddometer: 118
LDComfort propers

A friend alerted me to this thread and I thought I might add some points. Many answers to the original poster are spot on and I appreciate the accuracy portrayed by the experienced riders. The LDComfort garments are designed specifically for the long distance rider. Seam placement is vital to avoiding discomfort and even damage to tender seating areas. Fabric choice is just as important to arrest moisture damage to skin in enclosed areas. There is no fabric on the market that will keep skin dryer than that which is used in the LDComfort riding garments. The dual layer fabric is DIFFERENT than "wicking" fabric. (See the video here: http://www.ldcomfort.com/productdescription.htm ) No matter how much a person will sweat, the inside of the fabric will stay dry. You will not find that in single layer "wicking" fabric. That being said; You must wear the garment correctly. Pull each leg up all the way to make sure you do not have areas not covered in fabric. It is the fabric that keeps the skin dry. The use of powders to absorb moisture comes from a habit of wearing garments that do not keep the skin dry. Please allow the fabric to do its job without adding powders to plug the fabric. Also; the garments are easily washed and dried using the towel method. Once the garment is washed and initially wrung to remove the excess water, the inside will be dry. You dry the outside with the towel trick and put them back on. While there may be a cooling feeling the inside will be dry. Remember; "IT" doesn't dry. You dry "IT." I have ridden a trip of 10,000 miles with just one pair of LDComfort and simply washed them and dried them each evening or morning. (Takes 5 minutes) Another problem that can happen to some people is to use a fabric softener that stays in the fabric. Fabric softeners contain chemicals, oils and perfumes that can be harmful to the skin. Keep your garment clean with a mild soap or detergent. I use Johnson's baby wash as it is most cost effective.
In the summer issue of the Iron Butt Magazine a writer comments that he has worn his LDComfort for over 300,000 miles and they still work as well as day one. With proper care you will NOT wear them out. If you do a little math, you will find LDComfort undergarments to be the most cost effective garment available. The purpose of the garment is to provide comfort for the long distance rider and skin protection is essential to achieving that goal. As one respondent mentioned the record for wearing LDComfort is over 11 days with no skin problems. Even though this is possible, I recommend washing each day. (Yes...I have pushed it to three day with no trouble.)
I hope I have helped answer some questions and cleaned up a few issues. I want you all to enjoy every mile. Best regards, Mario
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #36
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 584
New Underwear option

My name is Shawn Lupcho. Just launched this product couple weeks ago at the American International Motorcycle Expo. www.motoskiveez.com
Had very positive reception. I've spent over two years developing our patent pending shorts. Since this is a new product thought I'd spread the word. Hoping to have a special offer for inmates and list in the vendor's section.
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #37
mariowink
Comfort Rider

Oddometer: 118
Powders are no help

Powders to "dry" the skin are not the best solution. Fabric softeners are also impurities that can bother the skin. "Mositure wicking" is a buzz phrase to sell fabric. A paper towel is moisture wicking. Cotton is moisture wicking. It is not enough to use "moisture wicking" fabrics and believe you have something that keeps the skin dry. Research in extreme climates and conditions since 1972 have proven answers to the problem of seating comfort. Many millions of miles of testing have led to the answers for the long distance. Read this notice printed on the inside cover of the "Iron Butt Magazine" : http://www.ldcomfort.com/pdf/LDComfortOnePageAd2011.pdf
See also this video for a demonstration on fabric: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R6ddbtX868

Enjoy every mile. Mario
Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #38
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
That's just as much marketing as saying "moisture wicking".

I have never been in more pain than when I was riding with the LD Comfort shorts I bought for my ride last summer. Interesting enough the pain wasn't just the (for me) uncomfortable fabric, that was just as uncomfortable as most other "wicking" fabrics, but the way the shorts try to maintain stable on the body with the silicon (or whatever it is on the inside of the thigh "cuffs"). It ripped hair from the follicle and I got inflamed spots in that area. Took nearly a week for the multiple spots to heal properly.

Went back to Merino and all is well.

There plain is no recipe that works for everybody.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #39
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Another vote for merino. I can wear my Icebreaker leggings and briefs for a month without stank or itch.

indr screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 07:00 PM
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #40
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Lots and lots of miles wearing LD comfort in high heat and cold - and comfortable all day long. Works for me.

Sent from The Edge
Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #41
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Hope I didn't miss this if it was posted before, but, it is possible that you do have " crotch rot". A fungal infection that amplifies odor and discomfort and not just localized irritation of the skin. See a dermatologist to rule this out because it takes proper medication to eliminate it. And it can be a persistent bugger.

I have the LD Comfort shorts also, both long and short versions. I rate them not any worse or better than Aerostitch stuff I have. But I do make it a point to wash shorts and tops at the end of every day of riding or have a fresh change available. That being said, having tried everything available, I'm going back more and more to Merino wool and Icebreaker stuff. It's just hands down the best. Seam placement never really bothered me so the appeal of LD gear was kind of moot but I wanted to try them anyway.

Good luck, man. Hope you get it sorted out and keep on enjoying the ride.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #42
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
I don't. And yes, I'm certain ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #43
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
Lots and lots of miles wearing LD comfort in high heat and cold - and comfortable all day long. Works for me.

Sent from The Edge
+1, ditched all my synthetic crap for real fabric. Couldn't be happier.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #44
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkm View Post
For craps sake, go ask your mom.

Kevin

What does mom look like? :)
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #45
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphish View Post
How do I put this discreetly?? Well I can't so does anyone besides me experience a bad case of crotch rot, stinky crotch, bad sweaty balls and rash after a few days in these things?? I love them but.......... It takes a few days, copius baby powder and a good dose of Tinactin to make things right after a tour of more than three days. I am not affected by any other undergarments.

Insert jokes here, but hopefully some insight as well.