User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Mr Dual Sport OP
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,403
June 2014-30 days Oregon to Vermont and back

My fiancée and I are getting married in June of 2014 then going on a 30 day ride from Bend, Oregon to Vermont and back to Oregon.
Our possible route there may be like this. OR, ID, NV, UT or AZ, CO or NM, OK, AR, TN, VA or KY, WV, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT.
Haven't even thought about the return route yet, we are in the very begining of the planning stages.

What we are looking for. Back roads dirt or paved. Rural communities. Twisty county roads. The backbone of America. To stay off interstates.

A little about us. We both are experienced riders that average 10k+ a year of on and off road riding. We love camping. When I say camping, I mean throwing a bag on the ground under the stars by a creek in the woods or the desert, not a developed campground.
We are well equipped with all the gear to be self supported for a day, week, month, or years off our bikes, and are very experienced using it.
I ride a freshly rebuilt plated Honda XR600R, LittlePosum rides a Suzuki DRZ400S.
Yes we're doing this on dirt bikes.
Yes we're both a little crazy, that's why we're together!

I'm starting this thread to try and find those hidden spots across the country.
I'm not really interested in the TAT, except for maybe some parts in AR, and TN.
Prefer to plan our own rides and find places that no one really ever talks about.
I appreciate any input!
One more thing, I've travelled by car from coast to coast several times now and have always wanted to do it by bike. I know how much you miss just being on the interstates! That said I also realize how long of a journey this will be!

Jamie Z screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 01:30 PM
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Mr Dual Sport OP
Roamer

Map suggestions

Good maps for the states of OK, AR, TN, KY, VW, VA.
Any one have particular ones they like? I've requested the DOT ones from each of those states, but I'm sure I'm going to want more detail then they provide.
Looking for maps that give detailed local info. Kind of like the Benchmark brand we have for most of the western states. http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/products-page/folded-maps/
I really like the DeLorme maps, but they're not available (I think) in the cheaper foldable maps and at around $20 each that would get really expensive buying 25+ atlases. Plus having to carry them!

Mr Dual Sport screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 07:55 PM
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,479
I'm in western pa and have spent over 25 years exploring OH,PA,NY,VT,NH,WV,VA. Just too many great routes, you really have an endless array of possibilities. I think the perfect route would take you north-south up through WV, into central PA, and then into NY, through the Adirondacks, then into VT and NH, kinda just following the spine of the Appalachians. you can then circle back south, through MA, eastern CT, back through the catskills, down through PA, a bit of MD and then into VA a ways before turning west.
lot's of great dirt forest roads and paved county roads. as for camping, the east isn't as easy to just plop down beside a creek as the west, a bit more population here, but if you stay in the national and state forest areas, you should be ok, as most allow dispersed camping, though some areas say you need a permit. don't know how often these areas are patrolled, so if you come in late and leave early, you probably won't have a problem, besides, your' from out of town, easy to just play dumb and say you didn't know.
If you narrow down your route a bit, I can be more specific on roads, cool towns, eateries, etc.
sounds like a great trip!
as for maps, the delorme atlas's are great, but yeah, expensive and bulky. great for research though.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Mr Dual Sport OP
Roamer

Thanks for the reply bikerfish!
A little more background and why we are choosing this east coast route.
The route we need to take once we get through TN needs to bring us to NJ.
I have family there, in fact was born there and lived in NJ until I was 13. My family then moved to VT where I lived until I moved to OR in 1996 at the age of 23. Also have family to visit in RI and LittlePosum has never been to NYC.
I'm still waiting for maps to be delivered so its a rough plan right now but it goes something like this.
Leave my dad's place in Tulsa, OK and head for the Ozarks. We plan to take our time as much as possible in all theses states. Work our way through AR into TN. Go through TN and into VA. Up into WV and into Central PA. Then head for the masses!
We never set an exact route when we travel. But we do choose a corridor and stick within about 100 miles of it depending on local info.
Pretty good at stealth camping!
This plan will take a little bit of time to evolve, it will help a lot when we start getting ordered maps in the mail. In the meantime, we've been reading as many ride reports as possible from these areas! Looks awesome!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,479
gotcha. you can still hit some great stuff in VA and WV and central PA before turning east to NJ. to head north from there, I'd go around NYC, some great little roads in the catskills, then back into CT or MA, lots of great riding and towns in the Berkshires.
For central PA, contact the pa DCNR, you should be able to get forest service maps of all the state forests you want to go through, probably for free. they are good maps.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,851
we have maps for many of those western states
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Mr Dual Sport OP
Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
gotcha. you can still hit some great stuff in VA and WV and central PA before turning east to NJ. to head north from there, I'd go around NYC, some great little roads in the catskills, then back into CT or MA, lots of great riding and towns in the Berkshires.
For central PA, contact the pa DCNR, you should be able to get forest service maps of all the state forests you want to go through, probably for free. they are good maps.
We've already decided against NJ. That will be a separate trip without the bikes sometime. I'm really liking the central PA idea!
So it looks like we will go through the Catskills on our way to RI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
we have maps for many of those western states
Thanks for the link! I will look into those maps, but what we're really concentrating on is spending most of our time in AR,TN,VA,WV, AND PA.
Pretty much cruising through NV,UT,and CO on state highways and county roads. Why? Those western states are only a day away for us and we've seen much of them. Easy for us to get back to them. Those central and eastern states, well, they're a bit more involved to get to.
Plus neither one of us have been to the southern ones. Damn Yankees!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
People spend a lifetime doing what you plan to do in 30 days, so pretty hard to narrow down what you should see, or where you should go during that small a period. just one of things that makes this such a great country.

To help narrow it down......are there some things that either of you, or both of you, are really interested in? Thinking such things as railroads, art museums, civil war history, musicians or certain types of music, certain authors, etc?
Combining visits to places with a certain theme makes planning a trip easier IMO.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote