Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #136
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
On a budget?

Try to find a used TV from a couple years ago. LED and DLP have the best picture but LED will probably have the longest lifespan.

The reason I say that is the new TVs aren't much better in terms of picture quality and they are getting much more expensive due to them having all kinds of features, such as 3D the internet, voice activated controls, motion activation etc. etc. All kinds of crazy shit that you just don't need.

I upgraded to a 46" Sharp LCD in 2009 from a 10 year old $99 20" Daewoo and the Sharp has been more than good enough for me. I paid $600 at the Base Exchage and it looks like you can get one for <$400 @ Sam's

My buddy who does a lot of researching before buying anything just put a 60" Sony Bravia in his house and the picture is awesome, but it's totally over kill IMO
LED TV is far superior to DLP in picture quality in every way, If you saw them side by side you would go YUK when the DLP was on. Especially off aixs and in brightness. A current LED is about five times as bright as a DLP and DLp has about a 15degree viewing axis where a good LED is about 100 degree horizontal.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #137
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,243
just something i'd add on the smart panasonics..[mine anyway]

it recognizes my usb dongled wireless keyboard just fine- thats nice for any required data input. but it will only recognize the panasonic $125 camera
if you want to use the Skype feature that is preloaded. a cheaper logitech camera won't work.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #138
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,312
You don't appreciate a deep black until you have it. This plasma makes graphics which are set on a black background really pop.

Makes up for my middle-grey whites. I tried ice hockey last night. The ice is grey. It's just too much white filling the screen for the TV to enjoy, so like a stills camera on auto, it turns the white to middle grey. I have no idea how to change that. Everything else looks fantastic, I'm very pleased.

Except for the audio. I'm still trying to find a cheap solution for external speakers. The sound is tinyy and worse, I have a hard time making out dialogue.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #139
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
You don't appreciate a deep black until you have it. This plasma makes graphics which are set on a black background really pop.

Makes up for my middle-grey whites. I tried ice hockey last night. The ice is grey. It's just too much white filling the screen for the TV to enjoy, so like a stills camera on auto, it turns the white to middle grey. I have no idea how to change that. Everything else looks fantastic, I'm very pleased.

Except for the audio. I'm still trying to find a cheap solution for external speakers. The sound is tinyy and worse, I have a hard time making out dialogue.
Sound is going to suck on all flat panels. They have no volume for the air needed to make anything but upper mid range and treble. Get a set of powered speakers that have a optical in or a sound bar and it works great.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #140
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Either something is set wrong or you might have a bad set. My plasma makes white BRIGHT white.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #141
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Either something is set wrong or you might have a bad set. My plasma makes white BRIGHT white.
It's only when the white is full screen. When it's less of the overall picture, white is fine.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 10-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #142
wxwax
Excited Member

I found this post, which makes sense. I'll try fiddling tomorrow in a hockey game.

Quote:
O.k. everything's clear now.

It seems to be a bad habit of Plasma TVs, to correct white values automaticly down, the higher the white amount in a picture is. Some Plasmas do that more, others less.

My LG PC350 does it very noticeable!

I photographed the whitecorrection, and changed it into greyvalues so that it is easier to undstand.

255 is white and 0 is black.

In the picture below you can see, that the Plasma automaticly decreases the white from 252 (nearly clearwhite) having about 10% whiteamount in a picture to a value of 138 when we have 70-100% whiteamount in a picture!

Thats very heavy!

You only can counteract, by decreasing contrast to a value of between 65 - 75 and setting Gamma to high! So the automatic whitecorrection doesn´t intervene massively.

Here the comparison picture, that shows, what a Plasma does, when the white amount in a picture increases:

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #143
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,195
Quote:
It could be the feed, I've noticed that a few of the networks put out shitty looking signals VS NESN/NBC/CBC for hockey.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #144
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,344
I'm looking at this right now

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tcl-40-...7.ip?navAction=

$330 at my local store

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #145
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
I found this post, which makes sense. I'll try fiddling tomorrow in a hockey game.
Didn't I tell you it was a setting? It has to be a combination of brightness, contrast, AND the other thing I alerted you too was the film gama, you need to set it up to dynamic....that alone might clear it up then set other settings like colour and such to make a more filmic look but leave the bright and contrast alone.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #146
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
I'm looking at this right now

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tcl-40-...7.ip?navAction=

$330 at my local store
Motion on it will make you ILL. It is only a 60hz set, so will suck with any motion on it. Which is why it is so cheap. Do yourself a favor, and buy the next set UP if it is a 120hz set. You have been warned! Or buy that one and a lot of barf bags.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #147
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Didn't I tell you it was a setting? It has to be a combination of brightness, contrast, AND the other thing I alerted you too was the film gama, you need to set it up to dynamic....that alone might clear it up then set other settings like colour and such to make a more filmic look but leave the bright and contrast alone.
What's dynamic? I don't remember seeing a Dynamic label on any of the settings.

I'm going to leave my Cinema set the way it is and take those same settings to another mode, then fiddle with contrast and gamma. I'll see what I get.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #148
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,195
Quote:
Motion on it will make you ILL. It is only a 60hz set, so will suck with any motion on it. Which is why it is so cheap. Do yourself a favor, and buy the next set UP if it is a 120hz set. You have been warned! Or buy that one and a lot of barf bags.
But 120 looks weird with the soap opera effect, well when the motion smoothing setting or whatever they call it is turned on. That's hoenstly the biggest issue I have with any HDTV. I watch the Bruins on my 60 hz 32" 720P and it looks fine

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #149
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
But 120 looks weird with the soap opera effect, well when the motion smoothing setting or whatever they call it is turned on. That's hoenstly the biggest issue I have with any HDTV. I watch the Bruins on my 60 hz 32" 720P and it looks fine
ON a LCD/LED set, it is all in the processor. As a matter of fact, this is the one pet peeve I have with the TV industry.

The processor, the engine that drives the whole LCD panel is the one main thing that dictates the quality of the picture. As such, any deviation from one (even in the same model) of that chipset, can make or break the way a picture looks. Not only from model to model, but even from one set to the next. This is because they manufacture so many of theses TVS in one or more model range, that they run out of a specific chip. They are forced to substitute a different chip, or get one OEM'ed from a different manufacturer and usually that manu is in China and the chip is inferior to the previous one.

As well, you can get one manufacturers TV that is more highly farkled and a higher end model than someone elses, or even one of their own, and the lower end model can look BETTER because of the chip set.

Now I will say that if you ever see a TV at 120hz that looks worse than a 60hz model it is due to set up or the chipset. But more than likely, it is due to set up on both.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #150
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
What's dynamic? I don't remember seeing a Dynamic label on any of the settings.

I'm going to leave my Cinema set the way it is and take those same settings to another mode, then fiddle with contrast and gamma. I'll see what I get.
In reality what Cinema has set different than the Dynamic setting is the brightness, contrast, and what ever your set calls the setting that raises or lowers the detail level. It usually has either a different colour temp and HUE setting as well. What is the list of standards called in your set that includes the Cinema setting?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: