Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Those look nice. Reason I am wanting to avoid zippers is one of my pulls came off and no repair man can fix it, let alone find a pull that matches this zipper. It's not a typical YKK piece apparently. I was quoted $50 for a zipper replacement which is not happening on a boot this old and worn.
Fair enough. Check out the marathon steels. They're really great boots and no zippers! Mine are about 4 yrs old and 40,000 miles or so. Still going fine, but the soles need to be replaced.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
waturz
Panhandler

Oddometer: 17
Gaerne Balance Oiled? They may be too "offroad" for what your looking for. I love mine and they do wear much like a tall topped hiking boot rather than a stiff MX type boot. I wear mine while riding my street bikes too and have enjoyed their protection and comfort. Good Luck!
waturz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #33
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,574
Falco Raid - like Sidi On-Road

Did a product write-up here on the Falco Raid boots over on the other boots thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22610309&postcount=137

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #34
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 239
Aerostich is having a sale on distressed Combat Tourings right now. I like my lights, tend to reach for them even though I have a pair that is sort of like the OP's also.

Best thing to do with CBT's or lights is to replace the lacing that sticks on the velcro with something harder-surfaced, like tent guy rope, cheap enough at any outfitter. I use square knots, so don't need all that extra line stuffed down in there and no loops to untie themselves. I also put in a pair of well-used Superfeet that were hanging around.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,641
^ Too bad none of them fit me or I would pull the impulse trigger
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
Camarodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonee View Post
This..

I don't mind velcro at the top but I damn sure want a buckle at the bottom to tighten the boot on nice and snug. Love the laces behing the velco on the combats..they are not coming off and are much easier to fix than velcro.

Sorry if I missed the name of these boots.
What are they?
Waterproof?
What do you use them mostly for?
Thanks!
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #37
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodude View Post
Sorry if I missed the name of these boots.
What are they?
Waterproof?
What do you use them mostly for?
Thanks!
Combat Touring boots from Riders Warehouse, AKA AEROSTICH. They also have the 'Combat Lites' which is a shorter version. Fairly popular for the touring crowd: http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/fo...-touring-boots
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
mervingry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
BMW All Round

Been wearing these since 2010. More than 50k km in all sorts of weather. Waterproof. Breathable. Not a single complaint. Still look new.

http://showroom.bmw-motorrad.com/Boo...en_US-EUR.html
mervingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #39
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
+another vote for Daytona! I've had a pair of Evo Sports for about 5 years now, and they're by far the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, and probably the 2nd-most protective boot on the planet (after the Daytona Security Evo).

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=78

I'm very lucky to have Helimot local to me so I was able to go try them on. If you see them in person you'd understand immediately why they're superior to just about any other boot out there.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #40
Uncle Bucks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
TCX Infinity with reservations

I have TCX Infinity bought in 2010 and they have 35,000 miles on them in every kind of weather. Most comfortable boot/shoe I think I have ever owned and would buy another pair except for one major problem - the soles keep coming off.

The manufacturer responded to my inquiry for help and does not offer replacement soles or any solutions. For an expensive boot they are basically a non-repairable, throw-away item if the soles give you trouble or wear out. Also, not aware of any one else having this problem so my pair may be the only problem pair out there.

The uppers are in wonderful condition and I would expect to have many more years of usage if they were designed to be repaired. In an attempt to have the soles fixed many visits to old and new shoe repair stores have produced only "we cannot fix these...." responses.

Yes, there is frustration and disappointment the boot hunting process has to begin all over and TCX Infinity boots are not even being considered. Also, only boots that can have new soles put on them will be part of the purchase equation.

Good luck with your search. Will follow the responses closely.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #41
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervingry View Post
Been wearing these since 2010. More than 50k km in all sorts of weather. Waterproof. Breathable. Not a single complaint. Still look new.

http://showroom.bmw-motorrad.com/Boo...en_US-EUR.html
I looked close at the new and old version of these - local dealer has some previous version sizes left for $150. Not sure when the new style came out but it's a bit nicer than the previous one. However both are definitely an on-the-road sport touring boot. IMO they're a decent value, more so than the Santiagos that run $400 or some such ridiculous price.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #42
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
I've got a pair of Combat Touring boots I bought in 1997
Decent well built boots. But they can be both overbuilt and under built at the same time.
Not strong enough to support your ankle in a sideways blow and no real armor to speak of

But thick heavy weight leather that will hold up for the long haul.

I also have a pair of Kochmann Turbos
They are no longer imported to the US but a very well made boot, slightly thinner leather than the CBT
but still heavy weight, mine are 5 years old and still going strong.

Personally I shy away from gore tex liners and molded midsoles

I want full grain leather uppers and stitch down soles. And have found that when these things come together in a boot often the boot is well made and will last a long time.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #43
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Altberg Clubman Roadsters get really great reviews. I know you're not necessarily looking for wet weather boots, but these seem to excel at everything and are even CE approved for protection. Very few boots are considered PPE

They look to be similar style to the boots you're replacing. Do some googling-people love them and they seem to last forever. Custom made too, but from England.
+1 for altbergs
I have their Continental tourer original http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/con...urer-original/
with buckles on mine for the lower 2 straps with the Velcro on the flap at the top
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #44
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Another vote for the Vendramini Marathon Steels. They're very well-made boots and offer good protection. They're extremely comfortable, both on and off the bike (if you're touring, that also means a fair amount of walking...). They've got a nice ratcheting buckle system for the foot and ankle, plus they're waterproof. I've had mine off-road, on-road, on the track, and even wore them while riding in India for two weeks. If I lost them tomorrow, I'd buy another pair without hesitation.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #45
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bucks View Post
I have TCX Infinity bought in 2010 and they have 35,000 miles on them in every kind of weather. Most comfortable boot/shoe I think I have ever owned and would buy another pair except for one major problem - the soles keep coming off.

The manufacturer responded to my inquiry for help and does not offer replacement soles or any solutions. For an expensive boot they are basically a non-repairable, throw-away item if the soles give you trouble or wear out. Also, not aware of any one else having this problem so my pair may be the only problem pair out there.

The uppers are in wonderful condition and I would expect to have many more years of usage if they were designed to be repaired. In an attempt to have the soles fixed many visits to old and new shoe repair stores have produced only "we cannot fix these...." responses.

Yes, there is frustration and disappointment the boot hunting process has to begin all over and TCX Infinity boots are not even being considered. Also, only boots that can have new soles put on them will be part of the purchase equation.

Good luck with your search. Will follow the responses closely.
A local shoe repair man fixed that for me for $10. The sole on one boot separated (after many miles and years) but it's fixed now :)
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote