Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,548
I've had good luck at Radio Shack. I believe it is the "N" size that fits properly I've only ever needed the male end. I'm not certain that the female side would work.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
gatogato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Hey guys, I just stated a $4.99 special for Coax to SAE cables in the vendors section after seeing this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post14606909

HachayalBoyd, aka: Eddie will vouch for the quality of these cables. He just bought 2 from me on fleabay.
http://www.journeyrider.net
gatogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #18
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Gerbing's Coax connectors

.....fyi, I tried to add a custom cut length to the controller pigtail and picked up a coax connector at a local electronics store. It did work but.....there is an amp rating for these connectors and the one I used was only a 6 amp and after a short ride that connector got very hot.

Later this summer I stopped in at the Gerbings factory in Tumwater WA and tried to buy a couple of their connectors. Very polite but I didn't get any, instead I bought a 12" extension off the rack which does work and only cost 8 bux.

So custom made is good but make sure you add up the numbers to ensure the connector will handle it.

Ron from BC screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 05:13 AM
Ron from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Hey guys, I just stated a $4.99 special for Coax to SAE cables in the vendors section after seeing this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post14606909

HachayalBoyd, aka: Eddie will vouch for the quality of these cables. He just bought 2 from me on fleabay.
yep, bought 3 actually. I actually have it hooked up to a power supply as we speak and am wearing my heated jacket right now because the idiots managing my building still haven't fixed the heat!!!
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

as for connectors I bought a bunch of double ended male connectors for custom applications. If anyone wants or needs them lemme know.

For female connectors I use the radioshack panel mounts.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Just buy from Powerlet....it's that easy

you cable dream heaven...........

http://www.powerlet.com/products
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
you cable dream heaven...........

http://www.powerlet.com/products
Looks like the point of this thread went right over your head.

We were looking for these 10 cent connectors for cost.

Sure we can buy the powerlet\cigarette adaptable plugs for $15 through them, or buy them direct from Hella at a little under a buck a pop. We could spend $30 for their waterproof cigarette lighter, or buy them from a marine supply store for $2.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #23
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
Barrel Coax Jacks and Plugs

One issue to be aware of when purchasing coax barrel jacks and plugs is that most are only rated to 5A. This includes SwitchCraft, Radio Shack and others.
Gerbing seems to cheat a bit rating their 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel jacks and plugs to 15A.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
while we're here does anyone know if the tourmaster stuff uses the same connector as gerbings and warm n safe?

also, anyone know where to get these in panel mount? Mine are currently just dangling and ziptied and I would love some panel mounts, the ones from radioshack look cheaply made and I can see it melting.
3BR Powersports has a mounting bracket for their barrel jacks that will work with Gerbing socket pigtails.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post14617012

They also have a panel mount but it is only rated to 7.5A
Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
TheIglu
Louden = Fun!

Oddometer: 21
Does anyone have the measurements for the Gerbings barrel connectors?

With 4 bikes to wire up, plus making a Battery Tender SAE to Gerbings female connector, it would be nice to update this thread with a source.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
TomServo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Resurrecting this thread as I have ordered a panel mount receptacle that should fit the heated gear COAX connector on my 'troller. Currently I have a powerlet to coax adapter that i plug into my controller, that then plugs into the cable on my heated Ttriumph vest (a re-branded EXO). I would like to reduce the number of connectors by plugging the controller directly to a receptacle on the bike rather than the extra adapter cable.
I have ordered what I believe to be the correct jack from Newark along with a cap that fits the outlet for waterproofing when not in use. The jack I ordered has a small o-ring gasket that should allow for the jack to be used in the rain. I will post up the results once i get the parts in.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
Does anyone have the measurements for the Gerbings barrel connectors?

With 4 bikes to wire up, plus making a Battery Tender SAE to Gerbings female connector, it would be nice to update this thread with a source.
5.5x2.5
Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Gerbing Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Resurrecting this thread as I have ordered a panel mount receptacle that should fit the heated gear COAX connector on my 'troller. Currently I have a powerlet to coax adapter that i plug into my controller, that then plugs into the cable on my heated Ttriumph vest (a re-branded EXO). I would like to reduce the number of connectors by plugging the controller directly to a receptacle on the bike rather than the extra adapter cable.
I have ordered what I believe to be the correct jack from Newark along with a cap that fits the outlet for waterproofing when not in use. The jack I ordered has a small o-ring gasket that should allow for the jack to be used in the rain. I will post up the results once i get the parts in.
Be sure to check the current rating of your barrel jack. Most are 5.0A. We had to go to the ends of the earth to find a 7.5A rated jack. This is enough for gloves and vest but not a full heated getup.

Gerbing found out the hard way that not just any barrel set will work. I read where their recall of 9000 jackets was related to connectors overheating and burning the wearer.

BTW - we have a slick panel mount version with a built in cap.
http://www.3brpowersports.com/PDF/Ba...cs_Details.pdf

Moreover, we make mating barrel cables that provide an all weather seal. It does mean replacing the Gerbing plug with ours. I have to admit that I run my Gerbing heated gloves and vest using their connector.

Here's the setup on 990 ADV.

You can see two of our Baryl sockets on the HDB top clamp just to the right of the SPOT3. I use one for heated stuff and the other for tank bag power. You can also see a third one powering my Garmin Montana on the dash. I have lots of them 'cause I get them for free

-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Old 10-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #29
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Be sure to check the current rating of your barrel jack. Most are 5.0A. We had to go to the ends of the earth to find a 7.5A rated jack. This is enough for gloves and vest but not a full heated getup.

Gerbing found out the hard way that not just any barrel set will work. I read where their recall of 9000 jackets was related to connectors overheating and burning the wearer.
I wouldn't worry too much about bare barrel connectors. The issue with the gerbings wasn't the actual barre' connector but the fact that it was mated to 22 gauge wire.

I too picked up a bunch of barrel connectors, the first batch had very thin mated connectors on them, the next batch I requested a minimum of 16g.

The barrel connectors themselves are "practically" all the same. You can't add more metal to a jack, it's 5.5x2.5, how can you make another one that withstands more amperage?

You can't

The only thing you can do is make sure it's mated to cables that can withstand the higher amperage.

IE a $2 radioshack or $1 electronics parts catalogs bare barrel jack will handle a heated setup just fine. Just be sure to solder on thicker cables to it.

Been using em for years for al sorts of electronics. Even connecting a 15a air pump, those get HOT, the wires get hot to the touch too after 5 minutes.

While running 10a, I feel no heat in the wiring.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
TomServo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Well what I ordered from Newark was wrong, twice (yep, I'm that good). I ended up ordering the gerbings one from Revzilla the other day. Wish I had come back here first as I would have ordered one from Shov.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote