User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #91
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,905
Lasorda is not amused. Unflattering shot of the legend and Special Advisor to the Chairman of the Los Angeles Dodgers sitting behind the original MJ. I had the pleasure to meet Lasorda and shake his hand when he visited my high school in STL. After an assembly at which he gave an hour-long talk, he was standing in the hall with the principal and two other Jesuit priests, a half-dozen students and me, and told the following joke:

The Dodgers were in town for a weekend series against the Cardinals. On Sunday morning before the game, Lasorda goes down to the cathedral near Busch Stadium for mass. As Lasorda is about to receive communion, the priest holds up the body of Christ, looks at Lasorda, then leans over and whispers, "I hope you guys lose today."

Naturally, Lasorda is outraged that this homer would besmirch the eucharist like this.

"I'm gonna call your archbishop, you jerk!," whispered Lasorda at the top of his lungs. "I'm having communion here! You're out of line and you know what? I'm going to the top with this! I'm going straight to the pope! The pope will see things my way because the pope," Tommy paused for dramatic effect, "is a Dodger fan."

The priest listened with a smirk. "Nope," he said. "The pope is an ex-Cardinal."
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #92
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Wild game. Cards' excellence as profound as the Dodgers' self-destruction. A truly great series for five games. Okay, even the sixth game was great. The last 10 innings have seen an awakening, and El Birdos gonna need those bats to be fully awake in the WS no matter the opponent.

Wacha comparisons to Bob Gibson duly underway in postgame: first pitcher to blah blah blah something or other since Gibson in 1968.

Anybody else tired of the old pre-printed newspapers, champs tees and hats routine? That is so played.

But anyway...

Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #93
CoffeeGuy OP
Coffee is 99% Water

Oddometer: 173
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
Anybody else tired of the old pre-printed newspapers, champs tees and hats routine? That is so played.

But anyway...

Absolutely. It seems rather trite. I'm even tired of seeing the locker room celebrations. Let them have their own moment.

However- I really don't have anything to complain about!

St. Louis Cardinals
2006 WS Champions
2011 WS Champions
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #94
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
As a baseball fan, it's nice to see an organization like the St. Louis Cardinals heading to the World Series again. Stan the Man is smiling from above.

As a lifelong San Francisco Giants fan, I'd like to extend my heartfelt thanks for putting the Los Angeles Dodgers on the express bus to the off-season. The Cards showed that they'd rather get the job done than posture for the crowd.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #95
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Stan the Man is smiling from above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
As a lifelong San Francisco Giants fan, I'd like to extend my heartfelt thanks for putting the Los Angeles Dodgers on the express bus to the off-season. The Cards showed that they'd rather get the job done than posture for the crowd.
True dat, but first:

CARLOS BELTRAN!!!! CARLOS BELTRAN!!!! CARLOS BELTRAN!!!!

Now that we've got that out of the way...

Doctor's orders: double dose of humility for Puig and call me in April. Kid will be a great player (already is), but Game 6 and the extracurricular BS will haunt him for a while. I hope he can learn and grow as a player and sportsman, coz I have a feeling these two teams may see each other in Sept/Oct for a while.

Kershaw: what can you say? Whether the pressure of elimination; the shadow of that two-hit, unearned-run loss in Game 1; the Puig sideshow; or lack of confidence in his defense; he just didn't have it. And as (I think) Ripken said, the Cardinals "have figured something out about Kershaw." STL goes 4-0 this year vs. the 2011 Cy Young winner, including last night's demolition.

Game 4 of the World Series is on my birthday this year. Just sayin.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #96
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:

True dat, but first:

CARLOS BELTRAN!!!! CARLOS BELTRAN!!!! CARLOS BELTRAN!!!!

Now that we've got that out of the way...

Doctor's orders: double dose of humility for Puig and call me in April. Kid will be a great player (already is), but Game 6 and the extracurricular BS will haunt him for a while. I hope he can learn and grow as a player and sportsman, coz I have a feeling these two teams may see each other in Sept/Oct for a while.

Kershaw: what can you say? Whether the pressure of elimination; the shadow of that two-hit, unearned-run loss in Game 1; the Puig sideshow; or lack of confidence in his defense; he just didn't have it. And as (I think) Ripken said, the Cardinals "have figured something out about Kershaw." STL goes 4-0 this year vs. the 2011 Cy Young winner, including last night's demolition.

Game 4 of the World Series is on my birthday this year. Just sayin.
I'm glad that Beltran has worked out for you guys. He flat-out sucked in SF.

Umpires all over the NL are going to take great joy in giving Young Mr. Puig no slack at all come 2014. He did nothing to ingratiate himself during the post-season.
As much as it pains me to say it, Kershaw is as close as the Dodgers have had to a second coming of Sandy Koufax in a very long time. He's a good kid, too, and will be a pig thorn in the side of NL hitters for many years to come.

I am jealous of your trip to Game 4! Happy birthday, and have a great time!

Go Cards!!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #97
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,637
Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #98
CoffeeGuy OP
Coffee is 99% Water

Oddometer: 173
i saw Jason Motte the other day and wished him and the Cards luck, even though he's out for the season. I just hope I didn't jinx anything.

The two best teams, according to records- will hopefully make one hell of a series.

St. Louis Cardinals
2006 WS Champions
2011 WS Champions

CoffeeGuy screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 07:40 AM
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #99
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
He's a 22 year old rookie who put up a .319/.391/.534 line this year. He made $3.7M this year and appears to be enjoying life after being short on underwear in Cuba last year. He appears to be handling the money and fame relatively well.

ie this is going to haunt him for less time than it took us to write these paragraphs. ;)
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #100
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 16,271
Lets do this!!!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #101
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
He's a 22 year old rookie who put up a .319/.391/.534 line this year. He made $3.7M this year and appears to be enjoying life after being short on underwear in Cuba last year. He appears to be handling the money and fame relatively well.

ie this is going to haunt him for less time than it took us to write these paragraphs. ;)
If you think he's a real competitor, you can't possibly think that is true. Anybody that competitive is going to go over the "what ifs" in their head for quite a while.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #102
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,485

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #103
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money View Post
If you think he's a real competitor, you can't possibly think that is true. Anybody that competitive is going to go over the "what ifs" in their head for quite a while.
I don't think that's true - a lot of the best of the best have a remarkable ability to let things go and move on (emotionally).
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #104
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 16,271
Horrible.....
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #105
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

That is some poor baseball. Here's hoping the Cards show up soon.

Pull Waino for game 3 or 4? Nah.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: