ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #1861
rpet
Awesometown
 
rpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, California
Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
1/4" T handle, sockets and bits but not sure it will pack lighter and smaller.
I do like 90% of the work on my bike with this set-up, including wrenching in the garage. Overtorquing is for dorks. Super cheap to get a nice set-up, even with a couple different length extensions. I do carry some stubbies for those hard to reach places (but not the bean).
__________________
'76 Xl250 '04 XR250R '09 DR650 '10 TR450
Ride The West - OBDR, CDR & western TAT - July 2013
Instagram with plenty of bike pics.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #1862
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander
 
EduardoMas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Of No Fixed Address
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoMas View Post
The adapter I used for 6 years is from Canadian Tire ( do not know the brand since they sell many... Gearwrench among them). It has an oring I predicted would fail within weeks... but is still going strong. The adapter never comes off and fits rather tight. It has endured hundreds of "insertions" Will take a pic soon.
Can't post pics (no pic hosting service), but checked the brand name on the adapter and it is GearWrench.
__________________
Eduardo
XR650R
KTM300


Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #1863
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy
 
tmotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Do you have a pic and description of your current set-up?

When trying the Gearwrench method with adapter I was disappointed that the adapter kept popping out of the wrench when utilized in action. I ended up going back to my Motion Pro multi tool and stubby wrenches as the backbone of my kit. But keep thinking about a 1/4" T handle, sockets and bits but not sure it will pack lighter and smaller.


Just the 10mm one of these.
Just put a short wiggle extender on it and it can't come out. It lives in my camelbak. Add a few sockets to it and your done.

Prefer them over these.


Got these from Terra-x for the real torque. Can bolt them together to make a breaker bar.


They do axle adapters as well including one that sort of fits the motion pro socket adapter.




tmotten screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 10:27 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #1864
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares
 
minimotos95's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: montrose co
Oddometer: 181
i was cleaning the garage when i found my little 240mm tire irons, i have been using and carrying 3 motionpro 16" irons for a while. and they make tire changes so easy, but they are well big laying across the bottom of my backpack. the 240mm spoons i haven't used in years and a remember drawing blood a few times using them, but they are tiny.. now i have the question of what combo of spoons should i carry, i was thinking 2 240mm and one 16" or vice versa?, i'm getting in some K760's in on tuesday or wednesday so i will test what the minimum i can do a tire change with is. i might even do it dry or with just plain water to get better idea.
i notice most here opting for the light weight or attaching long irons to the bike with zipties or hose clamps

my current tool kit is simple, yet bulky. just sits in the main pocket of my backpack inside a grocery bag.
12v pump
tire irons
adjustable wrench(i might go to sears and get a better one when i pick up the tires)
needle nose vise-grips
wire cutter with strippers.
normal 10 12 14mm wrenches(might get stubby ones)
8mm thingy, think of it as a socket with a little loop to stick a tiny breaker bar through
complete Remington screwdriver kit. 28 bits, 1/4" socket adapter
OEM stamped plug wrench
flattened duct tape, zipties, i had some velcro too but it's gone
spare tube for given bike
snacks might get tossed in the bag along with extra riding gear i might need
personal protection is on my person not in the tool kit, the big one for bear country though might go in the bag.
hydration is built in my jacket and is refilled from 20oz water bottles which depending on ride duration i may bring a few in the backpack

need/want to add:
patch and plug kit
tow rope
a few different spare plugs
sockets, 8, 10, 12, 14mm
clutch lever for any bike i don't have a sunline MDX on
chain breaker and sections of both 420 and 520 chain, master links too
JB weld
normal needle nose pliers
hose clamps for liquid cooled bikes and jerry rigging

now that i have that list in front of me it looks like i could tear my entire bike down except the bottom end of the motor, the valvetrain and the big nut on the steering stem. that doesn't mean i could fix the problem though.
__________________
Youtube channel
ttr50 sitting in the corner, sad and lonely
1995 klr650 do it all daily rider

minimotos95 screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 05:09 PM
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #1865
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimotos95 View Post
i was cleaning the garage when i found my little 240mm tire irons, i have been using and carrying 3 motionpro 16" irons for a while. and they make tire changes so easy, but they are well big laying across the bottom of my backpack. the 240mm spoons i haven't used in years and a remember drawing blood a few times using them, but they are tiny.. now i have the question of what combo of spoons should i carry, i was thinking 2 240mm and one 16" or vice versa?, i'm getting in some K760's in on tuesday or wednesday so i will test what the minimum i can do a tire change with is. i might even do it dry or with just plain water to get better idea.
i notice most here opting for the light weight or attaching long irons to the bike with zipties or hose clamps

my current tool kit is simple, yet bulky. just sits in the main pocket of my backpack inside a grocery bag.
12v pump
tire irons
adjustable wrench(i might go to sears and get a better one when i pick up the tires)
needle nose vise-grips
wire cutter with strippers.
normal 10 12 14mm wrenches(might get stubby ones)
8mm thingy, think of it as a socket with a little loop to stick a tiny breaker bar through
complete Remington screwdriver kit. 28 bits, 1/4" socket adapter
OEM stamped plug wrench
flattened duct tape, zipties, i had some velcro too but it's gone
spare tube for given bike
snacks might get tossed in the bag along with extra riding gear i might need
personal protection is on my person not in the tool kit, the big one for bear country though might go in the bag.
hydration is built in my jacket and is refilled from 20oz water bottles which depending on ride duration i may bring a few in the backpack

need/want to add:
patch and plug kit
tow rope
a few different spare plugs
sockets, 8, 10, 12, 14mm
clutch lever for any bike i don't have a sunline MDX on
chain breaker and sections of both 420 and 520 chain, master links too
JB weld
normal needle nose pliers
hose clamps for liquid cooled bikes and jerry rigging

now that i have that list in front of me it looks like i could tear my entire bike down except the bottom end of the motor, the valvetrain and the big nut on the steering stem. that doesn't mean i could fix the problem though.
What's between the bulky toolkit and your spine?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #1866
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares
 
minimotos95's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: montrose co
Oddometer: 181
a few millimeters of foam but the it's in the very bottom of the backpack which rides low down below my L4 and is loose so will(hopefully) roll to the side in a crash. i'm more concerned about anything packed near the middle of the backpack, the pistol right up against my hip bone or anything hard in the chest pocket of my jacket right over top of my lung, as i fall on my front and sides 99+% of the time the tools in the bottom of my pack are the least of my concern
if i had a fullsize bike i would put a tool tube on but on my tiny bikes i can't find a good spot
__________________
Youtube channel
ttr50 sitting in the corner, sad and lonely
1995 klr650 do it all daily rider
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #1867
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy
 
tmotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 2,456
This is a maxpedition EDC pouch with the tools for a WRR on a RTW type trip.





For a weekend ride I'd take the key things like tire irons, sockets, bits, spanners and multitool (never used it really). Just the stuff to fix a flat and remove a few things. I've got foldable levers, so probably not those. I've got a swiss army knife and the 10mm spanner with adapter and wobble extender, pump CO2 and bead buddies in my camelbak.

Haven't decided on the 1/4" drive in the picture yet. Bit of a luxury really. A knurled extender would do the same. I won't bother with a spark plug socket, although would be good in case of a drowning.

tmotten screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 05:38 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #1868
kruch01
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: SouthEastern PA
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post

Oooo. I like those Maxpedition pouches. They have lots of goodies on their site.
kruch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #1869
Jetmakerbrit
Cranky Flier
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Between SEA & YVR
Oddometer: 12
The Toolkit Thread

I like the look of the Terra-X 'tyre' irons as a breaker bar solution but they're pretty spendy. Anyone have a cheaper / alternative solution for high torque applications? I guess I could always take a drill to some Motion Pro irons. There's a tubular extrusion with one crimped/flattened end in the R12GS toolkit (WTF is this for?) that might make a useful extension to a ratchet. It's nice to have a separate breaker though to save wrecking the ratchet.
Jetmakerbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #1870
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LVCJT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sin City Baby
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimotos95 View Post
if i had a fullsize bike i would put a tool tube on but on my tiny bikes i can't find a good spot
I mounted a tool tube on the front of my skid plate.


The rub marks are from before I upgraded the suspension to accommodate my big ass. I just got back from Goldpoint and it worked great.

Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #1871
rpet
Awesometown
 
rpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, California
Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmakerbrit View Post
I like the look of the Terra-X 'tyre' irons as a breaker bar solution but they're pretty spendy. Anyone have a cheaper / alternative solution for high torque applications? I guess I could always take a drill to some Motion Pro irons. There's a tubular extrusion with one crimped/flattened end in the R12GS toolkit (WTF is this for?) that might make a useful extension to a ratchet. It's nice to have a separate breaker though to save wrecking the ratchet.
There's the non-ratcheting socket adapter from Motion Pro that fits their nice, light aluminum tire spoons. Previously discussed in this thread, I believe.
__________________
'76 Xl250 '04 XR250R '09 DR650 '10 TR450
Ride The West - OBDR, CDR & western TAT - July 2013
Instagram with plenty of bike pics.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #1872
rpet
Awesometown
 
rpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, California
Oddometer: 809
PS those TerraX products are neat-o designs, but jesus are those prices off the charts for us Americans. Someone should "refine" those under their own name for the US market, or Terra X should set up a distribution deal to get sane prices here. Would love a set, but I don't think I'd pay much more than $80 for both the chain tool and the irons together.
__________________
'76 Xl250 '04 XR250R '09 DR650 '10 TR450
Ride The West - OBDR, CDR & western TAT - July 2013
Instagram with plenty of bike pics.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #1873
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy
 
tmotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
There's the non-ratcheting socket adapter from Motion Pro that fits their nice, light aluminum tire spoons. Previously discussed in this thread, I believe.
That's right. I've got one in the picture above on the terra-x axle tool. Actually fits perfectly. I thought the lip around it would be in the way, but it doesn't.

The motion-pro irons have a relatively low max torque though being ali. I wouldn't bolt 2 together.

Terra-x is a single bloke and he's only just resurrected it recently. The market in Australia is just to small to drop prices. Most Aussie made stuff gets sold cheaper in the US than here, which is offensive to us.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #1874
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy
 
tmotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruch01 View Post
Oooo. I like those Maxpedition pouches. They have lots of goodies on their site.
Yeah, they look good but I wish they double stitched everything and left more seam allowance.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #1875
rpet
Awesometown
 
rpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, California
Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
That's right. I've got one in the picture above on the terra-x axle tool. Actually fits perfectly. I thought the lip around it would be in the way, but it doesn't.

The motion-pro irons have a relatively low max torque though being ali. I wouldn't bolt 2 together.

Terra-x is a single bloke and he's only just resurrected it recently. The market in Australia is just to small to drop prices. Most Aussie made stuff gets sold cheaper in the US than here, which is offensive to us.
I realize the economics don't really work for Terra X, and Aussies in general, but jeez! Those prices are still heavy.
__________________
'76 Xl250 '04 XR250R '09 DR650 '10 TR450
Ride The West - OBDR, CDR & western TAT - July 2013
Instagram with plenty of bike pics.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014