User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #61
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Well... sh!tfire.
Came out of it's slot and fell to the bottom of the box.
Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #62
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Does anyone have a picture og this cam mounted on the side of the helmet? I use a flipup helmet and would like a side mounted helmet cam. Its either this one or a contour roam2 on sale.
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #63
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn View Post
Does anyone have a picture og this cam mounted on the side of the helmet? I use a flipup helmet and would like a side mounted helmet cam. Its either this one or a contour roam2 on sale.
Just checking to make sure you know Contour is out of business. There are probably plenty of cams on sale but you won't have any support if something goes wrong with it.
Todd34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #64
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
Just checking to make sure you know Contour is out of business. There are probably plenty of cams on sale but you won't have any support if something goes wrong with it.
I know, the price is just very good and a couple of friends have them and are very happy with them.
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #65
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
So, I've been using a GoPro Hero HD for a few years now. Thought it would be cool to have a remote so, bought the remote BacPac last year. What a POS - in spit of excellent efforts by their support staff, the only solution was to send it back for a replacement. My bad for not trying it out ahead of time. Anyhow, still tired of charging a bunch of batteries and ending up with 6 hours of video to try to sort through.

So, looking at some current replacement possibilities and have zeroed in on the Drift Ghost S which has just been released. Looks like it fills the bill: Solid remote, great battery life, does the loop video thing which should cut down on file size and stores files as .mov so we PC types don't have to convert those PITA .mp4 files to something the rest of the world can deal with. Oops! Apparently only the Ghost HD does that. They eliminated that feature in the upgrade?

Edit: Come to find out my video editing software will now handle .mp4 . . . who knew? So, my concern became irrelevant. Will try to get one of these bought over the next month or so and will report back.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America

RexBuck screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 11:16 PM Reason: Answered my own non-question.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #66
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
I have a REPLAY XD, which I loved except there is no Android app. When I bought it, the Replay company told me there was an app in development, so against my better judgement, I bought it.

I'm not liking my REPLAY XD near as much after waiting a year for the promised android app, and now being told it will only be available on the new camera model.

I was told at CES last year that the android app was in the works, and would be out soon. No mention was made of a new camera model, obviously, since they wanted to sell the model they had on hand. I specifically told them that I had no use for the camera without an android app since it has no viewfinder or LCD screen, and they reiterated that the android app was in the works and would be out soon.

Now, after the fact, REPLAY employees are denying that they ever said there was an android app in the works at all... until I named names of who I talked to at CES.

Then they shifted their story to "you would never been told the app was for the current camera line" which is crap, because they were not talking about the new model in development at all. Only that I should buy the REPLAY XD because it was great and the android app would be out soon.

These guys could become the only player in the market and I'd still never give them another dollar of my money. The way they dealt with me was in bad faith, and I am pretty done with them as a corporation.

Buy a GoPro, or buy anything else. Don't deal with these people.

FTL900 screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 09:23 AM
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #67
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Finally was able to get my hands on a Drift Ghost S.

For Canadians, Drift Innovations website is crap - many of the pages won't show up in Canada but show fine in the US. Looks like the only way to buy their products is to buy from their Canadian retailer which seems to be quite overpriced. To buy for delivery in the US, you can phone Drift Innovations or find a retailer in the US. Finally tracked down a retailer that had Ghost S in stock (seems they are just now being distributed to the retailers) and had one shipped to me in Calif.

Bought from B&H Cameras in New York - good service, prompt shipment.

Initial impression - well packaged, unit seems to be reasonably sturdy.

Charged it up and played with the menus - pretty easy to learn. Had it videoing, taking photos and doing loops within an hour or so.

Charged up the remote and played with that. Cool - actually works as opposed to the GpPro POS I had. Time will tell after bouncing around on my bike for awhile.

Installed the Drift App on my Android - connected right away through WiFi and was able to see what the camera is looking at which will help with mounting position. Can also control camera with the App but have yet to delve into that. I don't know if I would use the phone instead of the remote to control the camera - phone's battery may struggle if it is on all day.

I'll try to post more as I get a chance to use it. I won't get my bike back until next Wednesday at which time I hope to get on the road and will try to post a couple of videos sometime after that.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #68
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

No video yet but just a few thoughts from playing around with the camera.

Ease of use: Once you have played with it for awhile, the menu system and button system are pretty straight forward. Actually fairly intuitive.

Got the remote working right away and figured out how to do loop videos which one of the primary ways I want to use this camera.

In addition to the starter manual included in the box, download the larger users manual.

Downloaded the Drift Ap for Android. So far, as long as you start it up in the correct sequence (camera on, turn camera's WiFi on, connect to Camera's WiFi network with Smartphone, start Drift Ap) it seems to work well giving you complete remote control of all camera functions. The only thiing not working on mine is the ability to review photos and videos. I suspect that is a glitch in my setup as others seem to be able to do it.

Let the camera run recording a video to see how long it would go. Got 210 minutes of video before the battery pooped out. Recording at 1080p and 30 fps. That is pretty frickin good compared to the old GoPro. That 210 minutes used up 80% of my 32GB memory.

In addition to the camera, I purchased the external microphone and 2 Wasabi batteries with charger.

Complaints? Not much so far.
The glitch in the Drift Ap I can live with and as they just upgraded it, I'm sure it will be sorted in the next version.

Helmet mount. The mounting system seems to be ok and seems to lock the camera into the mount fairly well. However, I guess I am used to the GoPro system which seemed to have a more positive locking system and I take a little extra time to make sure it is locked into the surface mount.

Also, you basicly have one shot at getting the camera set in the correct vertical position (I wear mine on top of my hat) as there is no vertical adjustment. The Drift Ap came in real handy to allow me to use my phone to see where it was pointed. Will find out with the first video if I got it right. They only include one curved surface mount so, if you get it wrong, order another package and redo the process.
More later.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #69
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 915
Appreciate the write-up, RexBuck. Keep the thoughts coming, haven't gotten one yet so living vicariously through your feedback.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #70
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
. They only include one curved surface mount so, if you get it wrong, order another package and redo the process.
[/INDENT]More later.
I use 3M dual lock in place of the sticky foam. It is super strong and allows you to reposition the mount as often as you want.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #71
peterb
Long Distance Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Drift Ghost

This is good stuff and I appreciate the input as I am considering the purchase of a DG to be used on my LD rides, occasionally in the dirt [my son will use it more for this than me] and other times.

BUTT, we are headed down unda and to the Great Barrier Reef - so has anyone tested the water proofness, convenience of using it under water, in the rain, or ???

Thanks to RexBuck for the link to the manual. I've looked at it a bit but can't really understand any answers to my questions. Is there a waterproof case with the unit or a separate purchase?

Hoping to hear from someone. Thank you.

2000 BMW 1150 GS with >165k miles and more to come...

2007 BMW R1200RT - new 4/08 with >145K smiles ...
peterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #72
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I use 3M dual lock in place of the sticky foam. It is super strong and allows you to reposition the mount as often as you want.
Thank you for that tip. Where do you find that stuff?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #73
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,493
Amazon
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #74
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb View Post
This is good stuff and I appreciate the input as I am considering the purchase of a DG to be used on my LD rides, occasionally in the dirt [my son will use it more for this than me] and other times.

BUTT, we are headed down unda and to the Great Barrier Reef - so has anyone tested the water proofness, convenience of using it under water, in the rain, or ???

Thanks to RexBuck for the link to the manual. I've looked at it a bit but can't really understand any answers to my questions. Is there a waterproof case with the unit or a separate purchase?

Hoping to hear from someone. Thank you.
The unit itself is only rated for 3m . . . good for rain but no more. They do sell a dive case - look at the Drift Innovation site (or any of the major retail sites) under accessories. I'd give you a link but the WiFi in this place is incredibly slow - hope this posts.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #75
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Maybe good enough for rain

Bought my Drift Ghost for an upcoming trip last October - KAT - raining when I left home and rained about every day. Had the camera turned off but in the mount for the trip from Ohio to Kentucky and at first fuel stop noticed the unit was full of moisture - lens and display. I was not happy - proper cover was on rear of camera and tight - no pics from that trip.
Really disheartened when I returned home I found out Drift has a 30 day warranty and mine was out of warranty at that point. I got it replaced by taking it back where I bought it and they went to bat for me. Now I have a unit that I am afraid to get wet at almost $400.
I like the camera and especially the remote - and maybe all these manufactures are only proud enough of their products to stand behind them for 30 days. Had I been a more diligent consumer I would have made another choice.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote