Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Sena initially announced on their forum that they were working on this as an improvement for the SMH10 but they've gone completely silent on it despite many questions about its status in recent months. I'm guessing that they either 1) determined that they couldn't do it with the hardware set of the SMH10, or more likely 2) decided they'd rather keep it as a Marketing differentiator for the 20S.

this part sucks. hope you're wrong.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
More details about it are now up on Sena's site:

http://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/20s/

Some other interesting tidbits about the new unit:

- NFC used for quicker pairing
- built-in earbud plug, so more stupid dongle to break off
- Longer claimed battery life (13 hours talk time)
- Slimmer than SMH10
- HD-quality audio
- New voice-command user interface
- Longer range (1.5 miles in open terrain)
- Built-in FM radio
- Optional available remote control unit

Sounds like Sena has moved the bar forward in a pretty big way with the new unit.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,259
The FM and earbud jack are the biggest deals to me. FM would be nice, especially if there is a way to do presets on it.

What I am concerned about are how the Sena handles both voice commands and Siri Commands (IPhone). I use the IPhone extensively and have had GREAT success with Siri on the bike.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Nwrider206
2012 Triumph Bonnie

Oddometer: 25
This is a huge leap forward I think. Finally compatibility with other brands. This might shatter the idea that units are only compatible with same brands. (stupid). Why get anything else? Get the one that can work with them all (if it does, they haven't exactly confirmed what it will work with).
Longer range, though it now uses a fold our antenna which looks a little ugly.
Just a whole bunch of new features.

I had read somewhere recently that many of those features will come to the SMH10, like the multi compatibility. But not sure about that.

To me these are all enough for me to upgrade. Especially if I can get a decent price for the SMH10. Which if it will talk to other brands, I am sure there will be a lot of people looking to switch to Sena.
Nwrider206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,417
==The Most Interoperable Communication System

Due to Sena’s expertise in the Bluetooth technology industry, Sena has developed units that are highly compatible with other Bluetooth devices in the market, including smartphones, MP3 players, GPS, as well as additional Bluetooth communication systems using Universal Intercom™. Providing units with the ability to easily pair and function seamlessly with other Bluetooth devices expands the users experience and reduces any limitations due to technological complications
==
From the website.

Sounds like other brands must be using "Universal Intercom" to play...

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
"Advanced Noise Cancellation™"

curious about this aspect.

Etymotic Research's software is a prime example of noise cancellation software that transforms your phone and earbuds into a very capable platform...

http://www.etymotic.com/awareness/

but it doesn't work over bluetooth.

placing similar software into motorcycle helmet earbud capable intercom would provide one hell of a benefit.

edit:

eh.. seems it's for voice over mic, not for audio or combo of hearing protection while maintaining local awareness.

Quote:
Advanced Noise Cancellation™

Along with the HD quality audio the 20S comes equipped with Advanced Noise Cancellation™ technology, a new feature to the Sena Bluetooth product line up. The noise cancellation technology efficiently suppresses the wind noise from motorcycle riding without distorting original voice during intercom conversation. The advanced noise cancellation helps to reduce audio interruptions such as wind and outside elements from the environment.

well, it would've been pretty sweet.

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 04:20 PM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
bmon
Go Thattaway

Oddometer: 110
Add in voice activated control for their newly announced camera. With a bunch of other features. Camera will be compatible with SMH10.

I will be jumping the Scala ship.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ra/preview.htm

Sena Action Cam Features
Bluetooth 4.0.
Bluetooth Audio Recording - Record voice or music from your Sena Bluetooth intercom on your video.
Quick and easy Bluetooth Remote Control using Bluetooth headsets.
Unique QRMMTM (Quick Release Motorcycle Mount) system.
Versatile microphone option: Built-in microphone, Bluetooth headsets or Bluetooth microphones.
Voice prompts to let you know what the camera is doing.
1080P HD video recording with 5MP still shot image capture.
Video Modes: 1080p at 30fps; 720p at 30 or 60fps; 480p up to 120fps.
Versatile photo mode: shot, time lapse and burst.
Optional color LCD video display.
Water-resistant for use in inclement weather.
Use while charging.
Firmware upgradeable.
bmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #23
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I'm the complete opposite. I don't want to have to take my both my hand off the bars and then my eyes off the road as well. That's why I like the Sena so much. The jog dial makes it so easy to manipulate. The last thing I want to do is have to screw around looking down at a display to figure out what to press and end up head first in a friggen tree.

That's why I love the Contour vid cams. 1 simple switch to operate and I never have to take my eyes off the road/trail.
As if you could EVER fiddle around at the big knob WITHOUT taking your hands from the bars? Where's the difference? How are you "jog-dialling" with both your hands on the steer? That really is not much of an argument.

As long as the touchscreen is placed right before your nose, you wouldn't have to take your eyes of the road. That would be a matter of poor placement now, wouldn't it.
I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. “This is the 21st century, old man,” he said. “We don’t waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.” I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Nwrider206
2012 Triumph Bonnie

Oddometer: 25
It is hard to judge from the photos on how easy the job dial will be. With the SMH10 it is round and bulbous. I could be wearing giant mittens and still be able to easily operate it. Which originally was one of my favorite features of the Sena over the others, having borrowed and tested a few others before purchasing the SMH10. The 20s looks more streamlined. Just hope it is still as simple/easy to operate.
Nwrider206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
As if you could EVER fiddle around at the big knob WITHOUT taking your hands from the bars? Where's the difference? How are you "jog-dialling" with both your hands on the steer? That really is not much of an argument.

As long as the touchscreen is placed right before your nose, you wouldn't have to take your eyes of the road. That would be a matter of poor placement now, wouldn't it.
Might want to go back and READ my post again.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #26
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,556
I like my 10 vs the scala the jog button is REALLY easy to use and I can keep my eyes glued to what's going on around me.

My vote is no screen to takae my eyes off the road for even a split second. @ 50mph you travel a long way in a split second (you figure out what a split second is ).

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #27
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
I like my 10 vs the scala the jog button is REALLY easy to use and I can keep my eyes glued to what's going on around me.

My vote is no screen to takae my eyes off the road for even a split second. @ 50mph you travel a long way in a split second (you figure out what a split second is ).
One of those things that sound so reasonable, but in reality is bull....

Since we simply do not drive that way. We DO take our eyes from the road even without any device mounted. Sometimes while it's required. Some not so much or not at all. Like looking in the mirrors. Or looking at your speedo or gas-gauge or what not.

The point is not taking your eyes from the road for a split second, the point is not being alert because of what you are doing other than driving! If you ONLY look at the road in front of you, you are bound to get an accident pretty soon. It's not called "surroundings" for nothing. On the bike, the world around you is of interest, not just what's in front of you anyway.

I have seen people drive in a straight way and never seen anything because of they were completely somewhere else with their minds. In off road driving, THAT can be killing, for instance if you don't see some barbed wire fence (which happened to me once).

Point is, many devices are there for comfort reasons, not for improving your driving safety. For some, fiddling around at the side of your head with thick gloves on seems to work just fine. For me it doesn't. And as long as GPS on a motorcycle is widely accepted nowadays, the monitor/screen on the bike is accepted to begin with. Many manufacturers incorporate stuff like that on their standard models for a long time already.

It's a choice. You don't need to do it. Like you don't need to have an RPM meter on your bike to look at as well.
I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. “This is the 21st century, old man,” he said. “We don’t waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.” I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...
Old 10-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #28
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Might want to go back and READ my post again.
Got it. You are right with this comment. I didn't read it well enough which I realize now after reading it again. However.

You say you don't want to BOTH take your hand of the steer and your eyesight from the road at the same time.

So, your point is that the big knob only takes your hand from the steer whilst you could remain looking at the road as opposed to a monitor where you would need both: [1] to look at the screen AND [2] have your hand from the steer to operate it.

That's your point, isn't it?

Sounds reasonable, but is not correct.
Since all of those signals, physical sensors and limbs are controlled from one central device: your brain. And that is where the trouble is.

You can have both hands on the steering wheel, and your eyes on the road, but when your brain is somewhere else (some memory or what not) you are at increased risk to get an accident anyway.
When I am fiddling around on the little knobs of the Cardo G4 unit, my brain is largely involved in trying to make head or tails from what I am doing and how the device is responding, and what is going wrong or not. That takes my brain from the job at hand and delivers way more risk than looking at a monitor for a second and pressing a button I can tell you.

However, I do recognize that for some working the small buttons with thick gloves is completely NOT a challenge. There are only few of them though. I also recognize, that for some (or many?) working the bigger jog dial on the SENA is completely NOT a challenge. Many seem to experience that.
However, I don't. And I suspect seriously that I am not the only one by a long shot. People are mostly visually oriented. Hence I would say that anything that gives me a hard time on the bike to operate is a risk.

And if the jog dial is not giving you a hard time, it is no risk for you. For me, handling the G4 buttons have often proved to be a risk to me. That's why I reject that system. For me, it doesn't work. Most of the time I simply have no clue what I am doing and it takes my brain from the job which is why I am in favor of a touchscreen so I can see what I am doing.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #29
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
More details about it are now up on Sena's site:

http://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/20s/
- built-in earbud plug, so more stupid dongle to break off
Sounds like Sena has moved the bar forward in a pretty big way with the new unit.
I must be missing something. I do not see the earbud plug listed on the site.
Ron
Honda Pacific Coast
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #30
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Ces View Post
I must be missing something. I do not see the earbud plug listed on the site.
Ron