User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
TagBagger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 Jacket Review

I needed a warm, waterproof jacket for a 3 hr ride in 8 degree C rainy weather this spring. The local dealer had just got the new Joe Rocket Ballistic jackets in.

They seemed well designed, with a removable inner waterproof liner, insulated vest, and what I hadn't seen before - zip off sleeves with padded mesh underneath.

The jacket, with liners and mid layer underneath was plenty warm for the trip. The jacket stayed waterproof and warm. Today with the temp up to 30, I had the sleeves off, and the two chest and back vents open, and it was very comfortable, but stayed warm, even as I rode near the ocean. My other full mesh jacket always seems too cold once I'm out of town in the summer.

I got the hi-viz, but it's available in a good selection of other colours. I like that the elbows remain black, so the mirrors aren't full of hi-viz, which can be distracting. The armour seems good, and hopefully will remain untried.

It was $299 Cdn -15%, and so far seems worth every penny. Hopefully it will wear better than last years Tourmaster Transition 2, which I really like, but it looks 10 years old after one season.
1977 Yamaha RD400 Gone to a better person
1976 Yamaha XT250 Sold on
TagBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
ruedaloca
just me

Oddometer: 446
pics ??? I was waiting for real rider review, I'd like the chest adjustment, no the vents... and maybe it is not a good jacket for higher temps over 30 C like here .
Looking for a house or apartment at El Salvador ? your solution is here !!
ruedaloca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
HansGruber
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 53
Pics? Fit?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
RC51LV
THE RC51 RIDER

Oddometer: 211
i was thinking of buying this jacket from new enough , any updates with the jacket would be great
RC51LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
doc_simple
Meat popsickle

Oddometer: 89
heres an update - way late of course.

I just bought one off of New Enough or motogear or whatever they are now fro $139. Should be here Friday. If there is any interest I will post my review.
doc_simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,322
There's interest from me, I'm seriously thinking about this jacket as well. Seems like a screaming bargain considering what you get.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
doc_simple
Meat popsickle

Thats what I thought too. I got somefeedback on STromtroopers that the 7.0 had a waterproof liner and that the jacket itself was not waterproof. In all my searching on the 8.0 I cant find any ref to waterproof liners so I think they may have improved the jacket and then not sold them based on peoples lasting dislike of the 7.0. Anywho, I get it tomorrow and I'll let you know ye olde first impressions.

[EDIT]
I did a little more searching as I was kind of curious if I was going to want to keep this and I found that they definitely made the jacket waterproof and don't use the liner. Reviews here are pretty damn good:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-ballistic-80-jacket?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLj0lLLzr7oCFeRxQgodj2YA1w#reviews_tab

definitely glad I pulled the trigger, these close-outs run out of my sizes quick. [/EDIT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
There's interest from me, I'm seriously thinking about this jacket as well. Seems like a screaming bargain considering what you get.

doc_simple screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 10:39 AM
Old 10-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
I have the 7.0 and it is most definitely NOT water resistant. It is however nice and warm with the thermal liner. I paid $100 at a going out of business sale at the local (former) bike shop. I don't wear it if it is going to be over 70 degrees though as it does not vent well.

Good luck with the 8.0.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I bought the JR Alter Ego at the beginning of summer. I think it's basically the same jacket. Turns into a nice mesh jacket and the outer shell folds into its own pouch to throw in a bag. Well it was so nice i bought the matching pants. Both were supposedly waterproof until I got stuck in a bad rain/hail/freezing cold storm and was soaked to the bone within minutes. I even attempted to throw my mountain hardwear rain jacket on top of it, but it did nothing because I was already soaked. I doubt I'll be buying JR gear again.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
doc_simple
Meat popsickle

DAMN, HAD A HUGE WRITE ALMOST FINISHED THEN HIT BACK PAGE.

When I'm done being so pissed I fix this one back up to standard. But for now i'm tired and aggravated so i"ll just hit thew highlights.
Nice, well made, appears that it will be quite waterproof. Water testing coming soon, I live in the Northwest. A couple of minor glitches that bug me but nothing earth shattering.

Ratings:
Jacket with no water resistance 8/10
some water resistance 8.5/10
very water resistant 9/10
Build quality holds up as I expect it to 9.25/10

Buy it already, its cheap in price. I loves it already. Plus I'll let ya know how the waterproofing holds and I can guarantee they wont last.:
Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
doc_simple
Meat popsickle

Jacket got it first real test today. Massive downpour with supporting gusts of wind made my ride in to work pretty miserable. My pants were literally soaked through, water streaming into my boots, my shirt was bone dry.
The only part of my abdomen that got wet was right at the waist were the jacket comes up a bit in the middle to allow you to sit.
Very pleased with the jacket in rain, very mad at myself for not wearing rain pants.