Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #61
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
I agree. The wolfman system is hard to beat. I'm nitpicking with the danglies. With Wolfman's hard backing the dual lock would work.

Really, it should just be designed to eliminate excess....
That's kind of what turns me off about those and the adventure-spec bags. I do like the way the Kreigas mount. I never knew that's how the worked. They have a very clean look to them.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #62
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Whats the screwdriver for?
That stuff is awesome for making two surfaces stick together, but in my experience, you need to shove a flat head screwdriver in and wedge them apart.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #63
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
OK, I'm a little late to the party... but I'm interested in seeing where this goes!!

I've never seen the web dominator before, but it's an excellent idea of a well-designed, simple product that functions.

I saw something on another thread recently where people were cutting a walmart trash can to fit inside a soft bag to make an internal liner, to help the bag keep its shape. They actually told you which trash can to buy, and had a pattern on how to cut it. I like the idea of a thin plastic liner. Keeps your volume when you're using the bag, and keeps it from collapsing when you're not.

Probably the biggest priorities to me in all this are going to be:
  • Weatherproof
  • Easy on and off the bike- mounting straps on most soft bags suck
  • Lightweight durable mounts that are unobtrusive when not being used
  • Versatility and utility

I love the external pockets and sizing them for a fuel container- it's a clear way of designing a bag for the way people are already using them. Another soft pocket or two would be good, for smaller things that need to be stashed- small tools, a fuel siphon hose... things you're not going to want to dig to the bottom of a packed bag for.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #64
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
That stuff is awesome for making two surfaces stick together, but in my experience, you need to shove a flat head screwdriver in and wedge them apart.
What have you used that required that, I'm guessing something small where you couldn't get a god grasp on it. My EZ pass and previously radar detector were both easy to remove.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #65
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
He's right tho... I've had knee pucks that were velcroed to my leathers, and Ineeded to use a pair of pliers to remove them. Some of that stuff just doesn't want to let go!!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #66
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
Zippers or velcro only allow for a reduction in fabric. Roll closures yield the same opening area, but does need more fabric to construct. The durability is inherently far greater.

I don't understand the issue with strap lengths. You just cut the excess off or tuck the ends under the tightened strap. The problem for me is that everyone sews them onto the bag, so you can't change them. So pointless.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #67
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
I don't understand the issue with strap lengths. You just cut the excess off or tuck the ends under the tightened strap. The problem for me is that everyone sews them onto the bag, so you can't change them. So pointless.
+1 -- I've trimmed every strap on every piece of soft luggage I've every owned. . . . .

and, + a bunch on not sewing the srtrap to the luggage. A loop through with a new strap can be threaded would be so much better ;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #68
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Thanks for all this input guys!! We're listening to all this with great interest.

The "what to do with excess strap lengths" was an issue of continual debate at Andrew's old company. Here's what they came up with:

The strap keeper is an elastic band which can be tighter/loser depending on how you sew it. You never actually remove the tail from the elastic, because when you tighten the strap the elastic slides with it. Then you pull the elastic to the end of the strap and it holds the extra strap length in place.

We also want to at least experiment with the Velcro tails idea that was proposed earlier in the thread, thought that was kind of a cool idea worth looking at, but definitely understand all the objections to Velcro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Zippers or velcro only allow for a reduction in fabric. Roll closures yield the same opening area, but does need more fabric to construct. The durability is inherently far greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
+1 -- I've trimmed every strap on every piece of soft luggage I've every owned. . . . .

and, + a bunch on not sewing the srtrap to the luggage. A loop through with a new strap can be threaded would be so much better ;-}
Definitely like this idea: no sewn-on buckles. I hate it when a sewn-on buckle breaks. I think we've come up with a way to do this that will work for the compression straps (which have a very short throw).
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #69
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Are there some rear duffle features that you guys really like, or would like to see? Here’s the stuff on my list:
  • 100% waterproof & high abrasion resistance
  • Separate abrasion/waterproof layers
  • Roll-top closure
  • High degree of compression/expansion
  • Removable stiffener to keep bag away from tailpipe (removed on bikes that don't have this issue)
  • Carry handles on top and ends
  • Backpack straps that stash when not in use but are easy/quick to connect when needed.
  • A feature for easy in/out external storage without unstrapping the bag or opening the main compartment. Used for:
    • Moto or rain jacket
    • Tent poles
    • Wet tent
    • Camping garbage
  • External storage compatibility (i.e. molle and/or lashing/d-rings)
What are we missing?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #70
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 315
Perhaps a mesh outside pocket to store wet items such as found on some backpacks.
Who wants to pack a wet tent or rain suit inside a waterproof bag.
Place the pocket under the compression straps so when not in use it will not
flap in the breeze.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #71
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
Are there some rear duffle features that you guys really like, or would like to see? Here’s the stuff on my list:
  • 100% waterproof & high abrasion resistance
  • Separate abrasion/waterproof layers
  • Roll-top closure
  • High degree of compression/expansion
  • Removable stiffener to keep bag away from tailpipe (removed on bikes that don't have this issue)
  • Carry handles on top and ends
  • Backpack straps that stash when not in use but are easy/quick to connect when needed.
  • A feature for easy in/out external storage without unstrapping the bag or opening the main compartment. Used for:
    • Moto or rain jacket
    • Tent poles
    • Wet tent
    • Camping garbage
  • External storage compatibility (i.e. molle and/or lashing/d-rings)
What are we missing?
Make backpack straps removable, if you wind up with em.

otherwise, my answer is, "yes, please."
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #72
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
Perhaps a mesh outside pocket to store wet items such as found on some backpacks.
Who wants to pack a wet tent or rain suit inside a waterproof bag.
Place the pocket under the compression straps so when not in use it will not
flap in the breeze.
Good idea, we're on it, thanks for the input! Might not be mesh but it'll be external and will have air flow. Possibly something similar to the helmet holder on a mountain bike hydration pack, but larger.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #73
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,662
I like the elastic keeper better than velcro. If the straps are too long the velcro will be very long as well. If the velcro is just at the end by tendency would be to cut off and burn the new end and that new end might not have any velcro left.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #74
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,261
Quote:
Are there some rear duffle features that you guys really like, or would like to see? ?
I've got a side entry Ortlieb duffel that has done thousands of hard miles in that application. I glued an abrasion resistant patch on the base & it has held up well. I strap it on with Andystrapz piggyback straps to a base plate made to the right size with slots in appropriate spots. This cinches it down nicely with varying loads & is very secure.

What I have been intending to add for a while is some light straps & clips to stop it falling off the bike when I unstrap it to open it.

Having worn out a few items of soft luggage & built a few racks I reckon the biggest potential for improvement in ADV soft luggage setups is in the racks available. They are often better suited for hard bags or not well adapted to the bike. One size doesn't fit all.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #75
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Thanks for all this input guys!! We're listening to all this with great interest.

The "what to do with excess strap lengths" was an issue of continual debate at Andrew's old company. Here's what they came up with:

The strap keeper is an elastic band which can be tighter/loser depending on how you sew it. You never actually remove the tail from the elastic, because when you tighten the strap the elastic slides with it. Then you pull the elastic to the end of the strap and it holds the extra strap length in place.
Those are great on backpacks, on saddlebags and tailbags they do not last. Leave em in the sun and wind and rain and the rubber gets brittle and cracks and rips. I destroyed 4 out of 6 in a single month. I removed all of them since and have a drawer full of em. A sewn loop of cordura would do the same and last longer.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote