Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #91
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I tried the luxury lite for 6 months and was underwhelmed. For me, it's no good on its own, and only marginally increases the comfort of an air mattress. For me it was much too narrow, my elbows would invariably end up resting on the support bars and go numb.

I've upgraded the hotness to a camping a hammock. Never have I slept so soundly while in the back country. If you regularly camp in areas where there are trees 12-20' apart, check out this link...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631074

...and if you're interested head to this forum.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php

YMMV..
It's funny you say all of that...

I've got a complete Warbonnet Blackbird hammock and Mambajamba setup complete with both quilts in my closet next to the tent and Exped. I took the Blackbird out many times with hopes of dialing it in but always ended up with the calf ridge issue putting my feet to sleep or my shoulders feeling tight and pressed together. Also with my neck condition I never found a pillow that stayed put. I haven't given up on hammocks as I think they are a great idea, but I just haven't been able to find a solution for "repeatable comfort" like a pad or bed. I was going to get a custom hammock made by Dream Hammock that was longer and wider than the WBBB, but we had a baby and life started to fly by (she turned a year old last week!!!).

I've got a two night fishing/eating/drinking trip coming up in two weeks, and I want to make sure I'm as comfortable as possible or it's going to be miserable.
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #92
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
It's funny you say all of that...

Like I said, it's never one size fits all..

PM sent.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #93
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,454
I have a bunch of different hammocks, and found that there is a learning curve.

With gathered end type hammocks [most are]You need to commit to learn the correct tension and sleeping angle. If you don't take the time to learn then they simply won't be comfortable.

[Pitching tarps are the same way in that you have some learning to do.]

Bridge type hammock setup on the other hand require less learning. No need to find a sweet spot or angle.

I have a Eureka Chrysalis that all you do is wrap one end around a tree, then the other tree, then pull it tight w/the Ancra style tension straps.

It's not backpack friendly due to it's exta bulk and weight, but not a problem on a motocycle.

Notice the storage space above and below.

Also I hang stuff on the ridgeline.

Deploy time less than a minute.

Sorry for the hijack, but I hope this might help.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #94
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Ok, my burning question is,with a hammock, where do you put your .....stuff? Jacket,boots,gear,ect.....I would guess to change your clothes you have to slither around in the hammock ? Or stand outside in perhaps inclement weather and pack your gear and change and all the other stuff you do at a campsite.

I have the extra storage room for my MSR Hubba Hubba,and I have lots of room to put my hard bags,jacket,clothes,make a meal,brush my teeth ect,ect, all stored out of the rain and I can keep dry while packing up as well.

How does a hammock work in that respect?
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #95
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Ok, my burning question is,with a hammock, where do you put your .....stuff? Jacket,boots,gear,ect.....I would guess to change your clothes you have to slither around in the hammock ? Or stand outside in perhaps inclement weather and pack your gear and change and all the other stuff you do at a campsite.

I have the extra storage room for my MSR Hubba Hubba,and I have lots of room to put my hard bags,jacket,clothes,make a meal,brush my teeth ect,ect, all stored out of the rain and I can keep dry while packing up as well.

Not my setup, but if you get a decent tarp, there's more room than a tent, plus you can stand and you have a seat.

I've got this one....

Can be closed up pretty tight if you want.

I hang my jacket from my Ridgeline, but some folks carry a 2nd very basic hammock and hang it under the main one and toss their gear in there.

I can stand up to change. It's also super nice to have a place to sit to put on my boots. I can have the hammock body broken down and in its stuff sack in about 1 minute so it's one of the last things I do before getting on the bike
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #96
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post

Most hammock'ers pitch a tarp 1st, then their hammock under it. This solves most all of the weather issues.

The ridgeline of the tarp is used to hang items or putting things in compression stuff sacks and then hanging them on the line.

MY Eureka [bridge style] hammock has a storage pocket above my head and below my feet. It also has a ridgeline to hang stuff. Getting in and out of clothes is not as easy, but I have gotten pretty good at it. Cooking would be difficult and unsafe.

The storage pockets mentioned above are larger than the pics suggest.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #97
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 153
Worth it.

I've spent several nights on my luxurylite since I got it and absolutely love it.

Best night sleep ever...
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #98
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
Worth it.

I've spent several nights on my luxurylite since I got it and absolutely love it.

Best night sleep ever...
I note your "bow" spacing - part of the instructions now, or your own idea? Shoulders in the open area? That's how I do mine.

Yes. Comfy.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #99
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post

With gathered end type hammocks [most are]You need to commit to learn the correct tension and sleeping angle. If you don't take the time to learn then they simply won't be comfortable.

I like everything you said except the above. How the hell does someone re-learn how to sleep? Maybe you youngsters or contortionists can do that. I've tried a hammock (1 or 2) and I love, love, love that they can be set up and torn down quickly. That is one great advantage over a big tent. But the only time I've been able to sleep on my back is in the hospital or in a Lazy Boy. Tossing and turning as I do, from side to side, makes the Luxury Lite the only thing I can sleep on. Once you fine tune the placement of the bowed arms, to allow for side sleeper's shoulders and hips, you can get a good night's rest.

YMMV.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #100
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
I like everything you said except the above. How the hell does someone re-learn how to sleep? Maybe you youngsters or contortionists can do that. I've tried a hammock (1 or 2) and I love, love, love that they can be set up and torn down quickly. That is one great advantage over a big tent. But the only time I've been able to sleep on my back is in the hospital or in a Lazy Boy. Tossing and turning as I do, from side to side, makes the Luxury Lite the only thing I can sleep on. Once you fine tune the placement of the bowed arms, to allow for side sleeper's shoulders and hips, you can get a good night's rest.

YMMV.
He meant there's a learning curve to how to set one up correctly.

I don't miss crawling out of a tent one bit.

But, if you're not going to hang, the luxury lite with a thermarest is a good alternative.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #101
Tourancer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Luxury Lite Cot

I too decided to go the route of the cot. I just didn't want to be "that Guy" who's air mattress went flat in the middle of the night and left me on the ground. I still use my Big Agnes Insulated air mattress on top of the cot, have a Thermarest pillow and use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series Down Bag.
It's a great setup and IF my mattress goes flat, I'm at least on the cot. It is a great and very comfortable setup which I highly recommend. One thing to consider is that a small tent with the door on the end is easy to slip the cot into after it's setup. My tent with the door on the side does not allow the Cot to fit in after it's setup. I did try (as others mentioned) putting it under the tent floor and it works great that way. It also won't ruin the floor of the tent.
Two thumbs up on the cot!
Tourancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #102
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I note your "bow" spacing - part of the instructions now, or your own idea? Shoulders in the open area? That's how I do mine.

Yes. Comfy.

Actually I was trying a new way on this trip. I usually use one less bow but for some reason decided to try another one to see if I got more support. I added the one where they are bunched up in the pic and used that for more upper body support.

I didn't really notice any difference. I'm about 160lbs and short so I don't need all the support like a heavier person.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #103
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,909
Thermarest has bought Luxurylite. Quality seems to have gone down since

I was at my local outdoor store on the weekend and thought I'd try the wider mesh version (sold my 24" one as it was too narrow)

I laid it on the floor and proceeded to gently sit ( know how as I used to have one) and two of the legs broke off.

I quickly stood it back upright and innocently wandered off

$235 CDN money ....

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 07:45 AM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #104
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post

[Pitching tarps are the same way in that you have some learning to do.]

Bridge type hammock setup on the other hand require less learning. No need to find a sweet spot or angle.

I have a Eureka Chrysalis that all you do is wrap one end around a tree, then the other tree, then pull it tight w/the Ancra style tension straps.

It's not backpack friendly due to it's exta bulk and weight, but not a problem on a motocycle.

Notice the storage space above and below.

Also I hang stuff on the ridgeline.

Deploy time less than a minute.

The beige one is their earlier version that I had, I now have the new green and black one and really like it. I went through a few different gathered end and even 3 bridge hammocks and like these the best.

[IMG] photo IMG_1780.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #105
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,485
Tried the hammock thing, just was not satisfied. I had both the HH and a Eureka Chryslis that I loved when napping on the deck in my backyard. On the road, not so much.
I actually bought the tan Eureka from Dan Alexander.

The LLC and a pad = great night sleep! YMMV

I've had the cot for 9 years - replaced the plastic foot pegs once because I'm fat and need to replace the tyvec for this season.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote