Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #4066
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I didn't know through-travelers camped there, but then again - why not?
I was one the first, but they seriously have a great set up with lots of space, flat grass area, and easy access to supplies. Plus, the Twisted Throttle folks have big plans for bathrooms, outdoor showers, and a cafe.

Not to mention everyone is a local, so they know the best rides and greasy dives. And don't forget they have a full service center. Jim, the service manager, took a lot of his time to help me with some electrical issues that had arisen during my ride.

I'm not affiliated with TT, just very appreciative of their hospitality. For certain, I'll be back.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #4067
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 703
here is my latest version of packing my Dakar.

top row L to R - sleeping clothes, cheap hammock, expid air mattress, 30* sleeping bag, tent, poles. all goes in left side case.

upper middle row L to R - first gear liners, off the bike shirts, underwear and socks, off the bike pants, fleece vest, off the bike rain coat. all goes in right side case.

lower middle row L to R - first aid, fuel and stove (gets shoved in camp boots which are ultra light hikers, not in pic), mess kit and salt and pepper, rei camp chair, ax, multi tool and a freeze dried breakfast and dinner just in case. all goes in the top box.

bottom row L to R - bike papers, emergency go wipes, energy bar, tire presser gauge, mini multi tool, flashlight, knife, head lamp. all goes in the tank bag.

I forgot to take a pic of the bike packed, or camp set up. will try to remember for next time.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #4068
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,399
Here is my 06 Vstrom, right case has a tent, Exped Synmat DLX9 and a little room left over for a jacket liner or clothes. Left case has my clothing bag with a shower bag inside, three days worth of clothes, extra batteries, first aid kit etc. all in one main bag. I also put my sleeping bag in the same left side case. Top case has food, cooking gear, cleaning stuff, rags, maps, hatchet, wood saw, a liter of water, phone charger etc. It all easily fits inside the cases with extra room for a steak, six pack etc.

I strap a chair on the seat also. Leaves me a bit of room for apples if needed...

sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #4069
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
All that....

....just to go for lunch? (Mountain House)

QUOTE=dmaxmike;22498010]here is my latest version of packing my Dakar.

top row L to R - sleeping clothes, cheap hammock, expid air mattress, 30* sleeping bag, tent, poles. all goes in left side case.

upper middle row L to R - first gear liners, off the bike shirts, underwear and socks, off the bike pants, fleece vest, off the bike rain coat. all goes in right side case.

lower middle row L to R - first aid, fuel and stove (gets shoved in camp boots which are ultra light hikers, not in pic), mess kit and salt and pepper, rei camp chair, ax, multi tool and a freeze dried breakfast and dinner just in case. all goes in the top box.

bottom row L to R - bike papers, emergency go wipes, energy bar, tire presser gauge, mini multi tool, flashlight, knife, head lamp. all goes in the tank bag.

I forgot to take a pic of the bike packed, or camp set up. will try to remember for next time.[/QUOTE]
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #4070
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
My 4000 + mile trip. It was really broken into 2x 2000 mile segments with a visit with family in the middle.

I just bought a more compact sleeping bag that'll give me a little more room in the pack and I have an ALICE pack which I might trade out.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #4071
bearforce1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Advice please

Hey,

The thread has been terrific and I have learnt a lot from it.

I really like the differing way people take their travel. I love and appreciate all the different bikes from small to big, from motocross to the big road wings. I have always liked light weight camping stuff and packs for putting all this cool stuff in.

I am in Australia. I am taking a round the world trip, pretty much open ended. I am taking this adventure with my best mate my Chihuahua. I am starting in South Africa and will be purchasing a F 800 GSA there. I wish the bike was a little lighter but hey. I have read all the arguments for smaller bikes and would love to take something lighter but I suppose everything in life is a compromise. I think as I get older I just want a reliable bike that doesn't require much maintenance.

The advice I am after is pretty much for everything. I am hoping to use my equipment daily and so am fortunate in that I can purchase what I need and the best if it better and needed.

I would like to buy a tent that will keep me comfortable in all but the most extreme cold weather. A tent that won't get blown away. I did search the forum for tents but the results were not helpful. I would also like to buy a hammock tarp just because they look like a nice pleasurable option in fine weather. Also some of the amazing tap set ups you guys have shown here have made me realise just how much a tarp can make camping much more comfortable. To have a footprint or no, how much difference do they make?

Sleeping bag I get but the mat/pad?

I like the idea of the multi fuel stoves and would like to have a lamp/lantern the same if they are practical. I love the idea of being able to have fuel tank that I can run these off of.

GPS? Communications and emergency beacons.

My biggest question mark having been only a street rider is clothing. Is it just a matter or personal preference? I think I would like a light weight cool jacket and pants maybe with inserts for rain and thermal and maybe wet weathers and cagoule as they don't take up much room.

I mean I can trial and error and imagine that I will be doing a lot of trial and error but you guys have individually have enormous real world experience and collectively, wow.

Any advice or links to the correct threads would be appreciated.

thanks heaps
bear
bearforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #4072
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,469
Bear

Wow . . . .. I'll not attepmt to answer all your questions, but I will speak to one.

Sleeping pad -- must have -- not JUST for comfort, thought that's important, but, without it, you will be trying to raise the temperature of the planet when you lay down to sleep. It will not work. Trust me, I've tried ;-}

Footprint for tent. Consider it insurance. It'll prtect the floor of your tent from rocks, sharp sticks and the like. I promise that you will want to set up camp without combing over the tent site to police up everything that might harm the tent floor at some point.

TSorry, that's two, not one . . .. I'm sure others will chime in.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #4073
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 913
This is me ready for three weekends in a row of camping! This is my first time with this bike and luggage arrangement but it seems way more rock solid than anything I have used in the past. The luggage is the Wolfman Beta and medium Expedition Duffle.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #4074
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 800
Bear

- Look at the Exped Downmat/Synmat type pads. The higher the R-value the better, you wont need as bulky/big a bag and they are very comfortable.
- For exteded trips where your bag could get damp a synthetic bag is easier to dry out and will still keep you warm. A Big Agnes with the sleeping pad pocket means you wont roll off the pad.
- For a RTW trip I'd lean toward a slightly heavier built tent over ultralightweight. I have both types but would carry the Eureka Mountain Pass 2xte (3xte for more room) because of its solid materials. It's fly also extends beyond the opening of the tent so water doesn't get in when you are coming and going.
- A 10'x10' type tarp is usefully for a lot of things. Shelter from the rain (sun?) for cooking/setting up camp, clean area to lay things out, etc.
- For clothing, cooking, etc search out BigDog, Colebatch, many others ride reports to see how they do extended trips.
- If your RTW is mostly pavement hard panniers are fine, if you plan on a lot of off-road then soft bags are your friend.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #4075
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 800
From last month camping in Colorado/Moab.

Wolfman bags carry stuff that never leaves the bike: tools/repair stuff, heated jacket, extra gloves, rain gear, first aid, TP, emerg food/water, extra straps.
Top box: maps, sunglasses, snacks/lunch, camera/gopro stuff, lightweight things.
Modified coveralls on back seat: sleeping bag/air mat, cooking stuff/food, tent/footprint/tarp, Helinox, axe, clothes, camp shoes, toiletries. All in roll top waterproof bags.
Tank bag: camera, phone, water, tire gauges, earplugs, flashlight, etc.

Most everything is below seat level, only thing above is sleeping bag/mat and whatever is in top box.

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 09:41 AM
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #4076
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearforce1 View Post
The advice I am after is pretty much for everything. I am hoping to use my equipment daily and so am fortunate in that I can purchase what I need and the best if it better and needed.

thanks heaps
bear
MY opinions are as follows.

Sleeping pad is a MUST have, but like everything else, I like to keep it small and light. Neo Air is my choice as it is very small and has a decent R value.

Tent- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3. Start your research there and try to find a better lighter smaller tent, you probably Can't. It design is a few years old now, but I still think it's the best.

GPS. This is the hard part because everything sucks when compared to google maps. You are on your own here, but take a good hard look at bringing an unlocked iphone with a ram mount phone holder. Most of the countries you are in will have cheap prepaid 3g service that you can run google maps off your phone and have EVERY single road in the country at your fingertips. (Garmin, watch out. Your time is near)

Riding clothes, I don't have this one figured out fully yet either. What I do have locked down is, smart wool base, top and bottom, heated liner and heated waterproof gloves, light puffy synthetic jacket (down type, but not down). Gore text riding boots. That's all I have figured out for riding gear.

Cooking/Stove: Whisper-light international and the smallest MSR fuel bottle. It runs off of gasoline pretty well. The problem you will have is getting gas out of your tank on the BMW F800 You don't have any accessible fuel lines to pop off to full your bottle in the field. GSI pinnacle Dualest is the best two person cooking set up. Everything nests inside your 1.8 liter pot including your stove. The includes sporks are junk. Get a real spork to stash somewhere else.

These are all just my thoughts, but they are all based on real world experiences and not from trolling other people's ideas. Have fun gearing up. It's just as fun as the trip it's self.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #4077
bearforce1
Adventurer

Thanks for your advice

I am inspired by the generosity of you guys in giving me your knowledge and advice.

@Bomber, Dear Lord that photo of your camp at night is beautiful. Just wow mate.

I finally understand now what the Big Agnes pocket people have been talking about means. The footprint does sound like a good idea in making life easier.

@Dynobob, Thanks mate. The hard vs soft panniers is something I haven't resolved in my mind yet. I am hoping to be offroad as much as I can and where my bike permits. I had in my mind that I like the idea of hard maybe plastic panniers with a top box and a huge ortlieb etc dry bag over the pillion seat and panniers. It just seams like a great system to me. I can lock stuff away in the hard panniers cases. The top box is just a major convenience for chucking things and locking up in when getting off the bike to walk around. The huge 100 litre plus dry bad with backpack straps fit everything and all sorts of stuff into it. I have seen many people with this setup but I myself have no real world experience at all.

My other option is like @dynobob suggested and have soft side panniers such as wolfman. Ortlieb have some and I would like to hear any pros and cons of the various dry bad pannier brands.

What is the main problem with hard panniers off road. I do not understand what happens to them, the bike or me if using them off road. Someone told me the thick plastic panniers can be popped/bashed back into shape, is this true?

@Fishfund, I appreciate the google maps idea its realy clever. I too realy apreciate how good google maps are. Is there no GPS outfits utilising google maps like you suggested.

Riding clothes I think maybe is a personal choice and I think it will be a massive and maybe expensive trial and error scenario.

Cookset. GSI pinnacle Dualest looks like the go. Amazing and the price seems reasonable. Does titanium really make any difference at all. I like th efact that the GSI has teflon coating on it and all the features like strainer and rubber lid brim.

Thanks again guys. I really feel that if there are guys like you on the roads I will be in great company. My head is spinning a little from information and research overload but the overall picture is becoming a little clearer thanks to this site.

Does anyone know if all this stuff is readily available in South Africa and if prices in South Africa are good, bad or so so. Should I kit up before I lave OZ.

Bearforce1
Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #4078
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
[QUOTE=bearforce1;22615886]Hey,

Sleeping bag I get but the mat/pad?

Bear - I use the Black Wolf self inflating single airbed....it rolls up nice and tight and fits nicely across the bike and you can use it as a back rest also...not only that, it is very comfy considering it looks thin! I also blow a bit in to make it firm....I used it on a seven week trip almost every night and it was brilliant - the little self inflating Black Wolf pillow was useless however!! (hated it)...with your sleeping bag, also consider one that totally unzips - I would then use half as my sheet and pulled over as a doona...works a treat. (I have this phobia about being trapped in a sleeping bag especially in the boondocks!! lol)

cheers Pottz
Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #4079
bearforce1
Adventurer

Pillows

Hey Pottz,

I haven't seen a really positive report from anyone on the pillow front. Most people seem to be unhappy with their store bought inflatable pillows.

I was going to buy and trial and error the different pillows cause I haven't seen anyone recommending any pillows at all. Alternatively I was just going to stuff my shoei helmet bag/sack with clothes and use that.

Anyone got any advice on good pillows.

bear
Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #4080
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearforce1 View Post
Hey Pottz,

I haven't seen a really positive report from anyone on the pillow front. Most people seem to be unhappy with their store bought inflatable pillows.

I was going to buy and trial and error the different pillows cause I haven't seen anyone recommending any pillows at all. Alternatively I was just going to stuff my shoei helmet bag/sack with clothes and use that.

Anyone got any advice on good pillows.

bear
I reckon I've tried every version of pillow out there... Black Wolf, Exped, Thermarest etc but this one beats them no contest. But everyone has different wants/tastes so YMMV.

http://www.aerobed.com.au/products/a...ravel-pillow-3
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote