Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Wy'east OP
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Tyre questions...Saharas, Karoos, MT21s?

I'm surprised there isn't a "Tires" section, anyway move it to a more appropriate section if need be...

Bike is a 1993 XTZ750 Supre Tenere. Front tyre is an Mitas E07 and the rear is a Metzler Karoo 2. The front tyre is all dried out an the rear is wearing out. The bike fully loaded without cases and rider is around 220kg/500lbs.

The tyres came with the bike and have served me well. The Karoo 2 is no longer made/available. I'm looking to replace the set with the Metzler Enduro 3 Saharas, Karoo 3s or the Pirelli MT21 - or maybe something else?

I do about 60/40. The 60 is mostly curvy highway stuff. The off-road terrain runs from soft almost talc-like sand (almost that fesh-fesh crap) to hard pack gravel/stone desert terrain. Mud is very infrequent and an occasional water crossing. Basically a lot of dust, rocks and gravel!

I don't mind keeping my highway speeds down in order to get a better tyre for a bit more off-road performance.

Suggestions?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
motoinmoab
Questioning Reality

Oddometer: 99
I tried the MT21 and didn't like it, it made gravel feel like ice to me. Lots of guys do like the tire. So: YMMV

The Dunlop D606 is a good dual sport tire, DOT legal and is made to handle the big bikes. It's more aggressive for better dirt grip, it's a little noisy and vibrates on pavement. The knobs are fairly widely spaced so I just can't bring myself to push it in corners, I have a trust issue.

I've got a Continental TKC 80 on the front right now and like it. It's made for the heavy bikes also but isn't as openly spaced as the D606. It feels really solid on pavement, but that means it won't do sand as well. Sand wants a few widely spaced knobs, while on pavement it's all about max rubber on the road.

Compromise- a meeting place where no one is happy.

motoinmoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,470
I really like the Saharas (other than cost) that came OEM on my X-Challenge. But I'm not sure I would even classify them as a 60-40 tire, especially compared to a MT21. Currently, I have a TKC80 upfront and a Sahara in the rear. I really like that combination (although I haven't had it in mud). But for a DS bike used mostly on the street, it is a good combination of aggressiveness and street manners. I prefer a more aggressive tire up front for dirt/gravel. Yet the TKC does real well on the road, even for a knobby.

I was actually just about to order another rear Sahara (I got about 8K out of it and there's still tread left). But I probably ride 90+% on the street. So I am going to go Pirelli Scorpion MT90s as my daily tires, and put on my TKC80 front/T63 rear combo for trips where I know I will be doing a lot of dirt.

But If I was going to stay with just one set, it would be the TKC80 front/Sahara rear (or TKC80s/front and rear).
Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
That's a big bike. Dunlop 908RR or Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the rear will give very good off and on pavement performance and wear well. You didn't mention whether or not you are a tight wad. These are not cheap but are a good value because they perfom and last a good while. Both are rated for high speeds and loads.

Michelin T63 makes for a very good front for what you describe. It also handles both paved and unpaved surfaces.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,643
If you take a glance through this ride report,you'll see that my buddy rode to Morocco and back on an XTZ 750,with Mitas E0 7's. (Never missed a beat by the way)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841901

After one year he still has them on and is due for a change soon. He,as I do, like them for a good general mixed tyre,and he's just ordered another pair.

I got 11,500kms (with about 1000kms still left)out of my last pair(I use the front brake heavily so I have to change them both at the same time)and I have just mounted another pair for a return ride to Maroc this Monday coming.

One thing that surprised me about these tyres is that they work really,really well in rain as well as dry grip for scorching around the twisties here.The tyre carcass is strong enough for the hard pack rocky trails I ride in Spain and Maroc. These tyres are average in mud.

€43 for a front tyre and €68 for a rear.

My last moto (XR650) with Sahara 3's on them..I only got 1500miles out of my rear...but that's to do with the fast twisties here...and braking !! I found the compound soft also...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 12:58 AM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Wy'east OP
Dust in the wind...

The E07s and the Saharas seem like a very similar design. I've been very happy with my E07 up front - it is grippy for sure. It's also been on the bike at least a year that I know of and has +10,000km on it.

I've trying to find another Karoo 2, maybe there's still one left in a warehouse somewhere. Mine's has about 9000km on it.

I don't know about being a tightwad but I don't like to spend money just to spend money! The Dunlop 908RR and the Pirelli Scorpion Rally rears are not available in the sizes I require. I like that 908RR.

I'll add the T63 to the mix. I've pretty much settled on the E07/Sahara for the front.

I'll get some pics up in a bit...
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Wy'east OP
Dust in the wind...

The bike needs to get through its test by the end of the year. The front tyre still has some tread left and hasn't reach the wear-mark yet but it's dry and the knobs are starting to crack on the sides. MOT/DMV won't pass it.

The rear still has some life left in it so I'll see if I can chew it up in the next month. In January I want to head on into the desert for a few days and I like to have something with some more meat on it. Anyway...

Front - Mitas E07

Rear - Metzler MCE Karoo

Sand here is slightly damp. Tread still grabs...

Wy'east screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 07:52 AM Reason: Wrong tyre
Wy'east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
Wy'east OP
Dust in the wind...

I just went ahead and put the same rear tyre on, the MCE KAROO and on the front, its mate the KAROO 2. There are still quite a few "in the warehouse". For me, I believe this is the best scenario.

This is the type of stuff I like to ride in mostly. I could spend days out here.