Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #31621
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
No, I haven't.

I felt the same way, as you on the Retul, about my "professional" fit from one of the local shops. I've gotten my setup pretty close, but, feel I'm too short in the TT/reach dimension. Also, I wear out one side of my chamois before the other, so I'm "off" somewhere. I figured the Retul would highlight the issue.
Check cleat placement first.
Then have someone measure leg lengths
THEN go pay big $$ for a fit session

M
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #31622
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Check cleat placement first.
Cleats are evenly positioned.

Quote:
Then have someone measure leg lengths
It's possible I'm wonky there. But, I've been measured by an orthopedic surgeon, during my knee issue diagnosis. He didn't mention anything about lengths being off.

Quote:
THEN go pay big $$ for a fit session
I figured the tracking component of Retul would find the issue in a hurry.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #31623
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
I figured the tracking component of Retul would find the issue in a hurry.
You can watch your knees. If they're moving in figure-8s, then seat position is off. Scooting backwards on the seat? Chances are the seat's too low. Riding on the nose? Seat's too high.

If you're wearing out one side of the shorts and not the other, see a chiropractor to see if your hips are level.

If only one leg is figure-8ing, then you've got a leg length discrepancy (or something else like foot length discrepancy) that makes it so that your fit's a compromise.

M
Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #31624
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You can watch your knees. If they're moving in figure-8s, then seat position is off. Scooting backwards on the seat? Chances are the seat's too low. Riding on the nose? Seat's too high.

If you're wearing out one side of the shorts and not the other, see a chiropractor to see if your hips are level.

If only one leg is figure-8ing, then you've got a leg length discrepancy (or something else like foot length discrepancy) that makes it so that your fit's a compromise.

M
Some good tips.

Seat height I'm positive on. But, my skeletal characteristics I'm not.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #31625
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
No, I haven't.

I felt the same way, as you on the Retul, about my "professional" fit from one of the local shops. I've gotten my setup pretty close, but, feel I'm too short in the TT/reach dimension. Also, I wear out one side of my chamois before the other, so I'm "off" somewhere. I figured the Retul would highlight the issue.
I felt the same way on my TT bike, but strangely the Retul testing failed to identify the problem. Eventually I swapped the 90mm stem for a 120mm, and that cured it. I'm still amazed that something that obvious would have been missed by the fitter, who Triathlete Magazine named as one of the top 5 fitters in the country.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #31626
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I felt the same way on my TT bike, but strangely the Retul testing failed to identify the problem. Eventually I swapped the 90mm stem for a 120mm, and that cured it. I'm still amazed that something that obvious would have been missed by the fitter, who Triathlete Magazine named as one of the top 5 fitters in the country.
Ooops!

What I did was setup my seat to aerobar length the same as my TT bike. But, the BB is farther back on the TT frame (longer reach). What I feel like is I'm scrunched on the Tricross. I'm thinking a longer toptube, set forward saddle, then mess with stem lengths. Knowing your result makes me think I really need to find a good fitter, without relying on some gizmo. Of course, a good fitter with a gizmo would probably be the best bet. I just want to get my current frame ironed out before buying another bike, which will hopefully be my last bike.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #31627
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Ooops!

What I did was setup my seat to aerobar length the same as my TT bike. But, the BB is farther back on the TT frame (longer reach). What I feel like is I'm scrunched on the Tricross. I'm thinking a longer toptube, set forward saddle, then mess with stem lengths. Knowing your result makes me think I really need to find a good fitter, without relying on some gizmo. Of course, a good fitter with a gizmo would probably be the best bet. I just want to get my current frame ironed out before buying another bike, which will hopefully be my last bike.
Last bike? No such thing.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #31628
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Last bike? No such thing.
Found a video of you:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #31629
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Road to work with the "winter setup" today. Lightly studded tire on the front (hey, it froze last night!) and the rear tire aired down to 60psi. Between the tires and the temp around 31F, it was definitely a slog. Feels really dumb to be riding the studded tire on dry pavement but the studs are carbide so I guess it's okay.

I got these new ski gloves for cheap at Costco, and they are so warm! My biggest problem last year was keeping my hands warm and I'll have no such problem with these. Unfortunately, they aren't very grippy so I can't get the right feel with road bike brake levers. So, that means I have to ride the hybrid when it's really cold. And that means riding with that studded tire It's okay, I guess I needed the exercise.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #31630
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Road to work with the "winter setup" today. Lightly studded tire on the front (hey, it froze last night!) and the rear tire aired down to 60psi. Between the tires and the temp around 31F, it was definitely a slog. Feels really dumb to be riding the studded tire on dry pavement but the studs are carbide so I guess it's okay.

I got these new ski gloves for cheap at Costco, and they are so warm! My biggest problem last year was keeping my hands warm and I'll have no such problem with these. Unfortunately, they aren't very grippy so I can't get the right feel with road bike brake levers. So, that means I have to ride the hybrid when it's really cold. And that means riding with that studded tire It's okay, I guess I needed the exercise.
You're riding, which is more than most of us are doing.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #31631
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,862
Quote:
I think I'll ride today. It should only be about 92F.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #31632
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Honestly, I'm liking having the excuse to ride unapologetically slow

Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #31633
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I think I'll ride today. It should only be about 92F.

Atleast you broke into the 90's
86 here so i always take a jacket
fz6kd7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #31634
El Guero
V4 Whore

Gave up on the studded tire already. It wasn't the most unpleasant riding experience but it was quite a slog coming home yesterday. One of the bigger problems with it is that I am afraid to test the cornering on dry pavement, you really notice how much "energy"/"efficiency" you lose when you slow down for every corner!

If conditions had called for it I would have left it on there, but the forecast is cold and dry for the next week or so. Just couldn't stand the thought of leaving it on there in dry conditions. It was bad enough that I did a tire change in my 34F garage before riding to work this morning I tell you what though, my hybrid felt like a fucking rocket with both tires pumped up to 80 psi this morning

Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #31635
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
If it's a carbide stud, you shouldn't have to worry about wearing it down, but yeah, it can be a little squirrely in the corners.

I like running two studded tires. It's like a 4x4 tractor. Slow, but you can go anywhere. And yes, you are STRONG and got mad skills by spring. Urban winter riding is a lot like mountain biking, IMO.

I'll be putting mine on probably sometime in the next month.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: