User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #31741
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Road to work with the "winter setup" today. Lightly studded tire on the front (hey, it froze last night!) and the rear tire aired down to 60psi. Between the tires and the temp around 31F, it was definitely a slog. Feels really dumb to be riding the studded tire on dry pavement but the studs are carbide so I guess it's okay.

I got these new ski gloves for cheap at Costco, and they are so warm! My biggest problem last year was keeping my hands warm and I'll have no such problem with these. Unfortunately, they aren't very grippy so I can't get the right feel with road bike brake levers. So, that means I have to ride the hybrid when it's really cold. And that means riding with that studded tire It's okay, I guess I needed the exercise.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #31742
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Road to work with the "winter setup" today. Lightly studded tire on the front (hey, it froze last night!) and the rear tire aired down to 60psi. Between the tires and the temp around 31F, it was definitely a slog. Feels really dumb to be riding the studded tire on dry pavement but the studs are carbide so I guess it's okay.

I got these new ski gloves for cheap at Costco, and they are so warm! My biggest problem last year was keeping my hands warm and I'll have no such problem with these. Unfortunately, they aren't very grippy so I can't get the right feel with road bike brake levers. So, that means I have to ride the hybrid when it's really cold. And that means riding with that studded tire It's okay, I guess I needed the exercise.
You're riding, which is more than most of us are doing.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #31743
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think I'll ride today. It should only be about 92F.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #31744
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Honestly, I'm liking having the excuse to ride unapologetically slow

Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #31745
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I think I'll ride today. It should only be about 92F.

Atleast you broke into the 90's
86 here so i always take a jacket
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #31746
El Guero
V4 Whore

Gave up on the studded tire already. It wasn't the most unpleasant riding experience but it was quite a slog coming home yesterday. One of the bigger problems with it is that I am afraid to test the cornering on dry pavement, you really notice how much "energy"/"efficiency" you lose when you slow down for every corner!

If conditions had called for it I would have left it on there, but the forecast is cold and dry for the next week or so. Just couldn't stand the thought of leaving it on there in dry conditions. It was bad enough that I did a tire change in my 34F garage before riding to work this morning I tell you what though, my hybrid felt like a fucking rocket with both tires pumped up to 80 psi this morning

Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #31747
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
If it's a carbide stud, you shouldn't have to worry about wearing it down, but yeah, it can be a little squirrely in the corners.

I like running two studded tires. It's like a 4x4 tractor. Slow, but you can go anywhere. And yes, you are STRONG and got mad skills by spring. Urban winter riding is a lot like mountain biking, IMO.

I'll be putting mine on probably sometime in the next month.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #31748
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,987
Quote:
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #31749
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
If it's a carbide stud, you shouldn't have to worry about wearing it down, but yeah, it can be a little squirrely in the corners.

I like running two studded tires. It's like a 4x4 tractor. Slow, but you can go anywhere. And yes, you are STRONG and got mad skills by spring. Urban winter riding is a lot like mountain biking, IMO.

I'll be putting mine on probably sometime in the next month.
I'm already thinking to get the rear tire. The dude who owns the bike shop doesn't own a car and says he only ever uses a front, but with the hills I have to climb around here I think the rear studs would come in handy pretty often if it did get slick.

Still not sure what my cut-off point for riding will be this year. The cold really isn't bothering me (except the top of my head, which I really should not have shaved)

Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #31750
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
I'm already thinking to get the rear tire. The dude who owns the bike shop doesn't own a car and says he only ever uses a front, but with the hills I have to climb around here I think the rear studs would come in handy pretty often if it did get slick.

Still not sure what my cut-off point for riding will be this year. The cold really isn't bothering me (except the top of my head, which I really should not have shaved)

Front is minimum. Keeps you upright.

Rear gives you power when the going gets tough. I usually get passed by old ladies in the summer, so I don't mind going slow.

As far as tire width goes, that's a debate. Super fat for flotation or super skinny to cut down to the hard stuff? I like a narrow tire so the studs can bite into the hard pack and ice. I ride a 35mm block tread Nokian A10. It's a little smoother than the knobbie ones when the roads are clear.

That said, I'm going to borrow a friends spare Pugsley a bit this winter.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #31751
El Guero
V4 Whore

I ride 35s normally and bought a 32mm A10. Seemed to work okay, but as I said I haven't been able to try it on any ice yet

Does make me wish I had another set of wheels.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #31752
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post

That said, I'm going to borrow a friends spare Pugsley a bit this winter.
A fat bike with a set of studded Dillingers is pretty amazing. It is also $400 worth of tires....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #31753
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
When he rides across a sheet of ice and busts his ass, tell him he shouldn't be so cheap and should've put on a rear, like you.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #31754
El Guero
V4 Whore

My phone told me it was around 29F when I left the house this morning, but by the time I got to work the bank clock said it was 34F. I put on a balaclava for the first time. Felt pretty good until I got to the hills - this one covers my mouth, so I definitely had some restricted airflow. In the end I survived though! This early-winter we're having in Iowa is okay for right now, but once daylight savings time is over I think I'll be singing a different tune.

Already thinking N+1 again... Really want a Surly Ogre but I should probably just enjoy what I have

Old 10-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #31755
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,881
Quote:
My biggest problem last year was keeping my hands warm and I'll have no such problem with these. Unfortunately, they aren't very grippy so I can't get the right feel with road bike brake levers.
You might wanna try a little SeamGrip. It's sold at outdoor places and it's used to seam seal stuff.
Spread a little onto the fingers of your gloves and it adds just a little amount of tack.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: