Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #136
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by razcob View Post
18.2-125. Trespass at night upon any cemetery.

If any person, without the consent of the owner, proprietor or custodian, go or enter in the nighttime, upon the premises, property, driveways or walks of any cemetery, either public or private, for any purpose other than to visit the burial lot or grave of some member of his family, he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razcob View Post
18.2-128. Trespass upon church or school property.

A. Any person who, without the consent of some person authorized to give such consent, goes or enters upon, in the nighttime, the premises or property of any church or upon any school property for any purpose other than to attend a meeting or service held or conducted in such church or school property, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person, whether or not a church member or student, to enter upon or remain upon any church or school property in violation of (i) any direction to vacate the property by a person authorized to give such direction or (ii) any posted notice which contains such information, posted at a place where it reasonably may be seen. Each time such person enters upon or remains on the posted premises or after such direction that person refuses to vacate such property, it shall constitute a separate offense.

A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor, except that any person, other than a parent, who violates this subsection on school property with the intent to abduct a student shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

C. For purposes of this section: (i) "school property" includes a school bus as defined in 46.2-100 and (ii) "church" means any place of worship and includes any educational building or community center owned or leased by a church.
Okay Matlock, thanks for the heads up.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #137
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 796
The statutes regarding churches and cemeteries are typically written as a means of putting a nice little bow on top of any egregious or reprehensible conduct associated with your presence, think of a protest, vandalism, obstructing access, etc. Having charges filed for taking a discrete unobtrusive nap is highly unlikely to lead to prosecution at any level whatsoever, to the contrary if you represent yourself in an amicable way, the church is more likely to greet you with a bagel and hot coffee than any measure of retribution.

Rest areas are a bad idea for many of the reasons posted in this thread, to which I might add from experience. Sleeping on a picnic table is a notable exception to this down side; Dogs from every corner of the continent release themselves, as do humans with overactive bladders, no patch of grass is sanitary in this respect, worse, every tick and flea infested mutt for several decades that rolled around in the aromatic urine soaked grass, leaves behind parasites that are eager to hitch a ride in your crotch and armpits to the next rest area... and so on. Rest areas are great for a short nap during the day, head down on a picnic table, lousy place to sprawl out on the grass. Horrible in my experience.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #138
Mastery
Hoosier Daddy?

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Dogs from every corner of the continent release themselves, as do humans with overactive bladders, no patch of grass is sanitary in this respect, worse, every tick and flea infested mutt for several decades that rolled around in the aromatic urine soaked grass, leaves behind parasites that are eager to hitch a ride in your crotch and armpits to the next rest area... and so on.
Man, you really know how to sell it. Where do I sign up?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #139
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Man, you really know how to sell it. Where do I sign up?
On a trip from Massachusetts to Florida I decided to take a trail about 40 yards into the woods behind a rest area thinking that might find fewer ticks about. After hanging my Klim outerwear from a few branches, and napping on a poncho liner I awoke to find ticks ascending the gear hanging from the tree like so many free-climbers on Mt Baldy. While beating my clothes against a sapling, a rest area visitor's daughter detected my ritual from the parking lot and went screaming "MOMMY MOMMY there's a man beating somebody up in the woods". Standing there.... in my long johns... the rewards of serene shut-eye quickly subsided.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #140
jknight611
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
When traveling on my bike I try to avoid the interstates like the plague but here in the treed south there is generally a fence line that borders the interstate. There is a service area (wide trail) that follows the fence. I have stealth camped ( no campfires) there a few times quite comfortably. In some areas this fence can be 150 yards from the road with a thick line of trees and the road noise and your visibility is reduced. I use a hammock and tarp that is a sage brown practically invisible through tree/brush cover.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06 GL1800, 06 Ural
And most run!!
jknight611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #141
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 537
While driving to work this morning I was listening to the scanner and heard a 'stealth camping' on private property incident. Only motorcycle related in that it was stealth camping which is occasionally discussed here.

Well before any dawn light (0540 or so) the call was from a landowner reporting a young man in a white hoodie and a white car dumping something behind some cement blocks on a neighbor's rural property. Call was made to the county Sheriff.

They had no units closer than 30 min away.
So County Dispatch started working the phones to find whether another town or 2 nearby could help out. Nope.
Then they called State Patrol which had a unit about 3 minutes away.

Trooper got to the area and needed a little more coaching to find the exact spot but found it without too much trouble.

Camper turned out to be a young woman who claimed to have permission to camp there. Neighbor advised who owned that property. Trooper called owner - nope. No permission. But owner said unless there was damage or dumpage that he'd not press charges.

Trooper sent the person on their way.

Lessons- (1)more people are watching than you might think. Likely because of rural wire and other theft activity (2) don't use any lights - I think the interior light of the car when the door was opened was what was seen (3) you may get a LOT of police response but (4) if you really haven't done anything but sleep it might not be a large issue. (but you're taking your chances with whoever is responding)
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #142
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Cemetaries are your friend. Roll in after dark, leave at dawn, take your trash with you.
My father did this he was the ultimate pragmatist, rode from Wisconsin to Glacier national park touring on his CL350...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 AM   #143
ta-rider
Mosungo on tour

Oddometer: 68
Hi Churches and Temples are allways worth a try but many times even they send you away. I dont know about laws but wild camped in more then 80 countrys allready. Just dont destroy anything and dont make a fire. Pitch your tent in the dark and leave early in the morning: http://reisemotorrad.eu
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #144
Capri142
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Churches and Ranches

Churches are the best, esp if the pastor has a house behind the church. Ask if you can put your tent up or sleep next to you bike. I have never had anyone say no and several times have been invited to dinner and great conversation. Farms and ranches are good too. At a few of them I have been invited to sleep out of the weather, in the barn and for dinner and breakfast as well. just always remember to ask.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #145
Buckaroo Banzai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I'm thinking about taking a trip and doing some camping so this is all very interesting to me.

I would think people wouldn't object to sleeping out in the open with a sleeping bag compared to setting up a tent.

It would look like they are setting up camp more with a tent and I think people would be a little more concerned when that happens.

Just an observation since I have never tried this yet. But this is very interesting.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #146
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
I'm thinking about taking a trip and doing some camping so this is all very interesting to me.

I would think people wouldn't object to sleeping out in the open with a sleeping bag compared to setting up a tent.

It would look like they are setting up camp more with a tent and I think people would be a little more concerned when that happens.

Just an observation since I have never tried this yet. But this is very interesting.
Problem with sleeping in the open even on clear nights is morning dew which will soak your bag and much of your gear, and many places it rains at night. Easier to just roll up a wet tent fly that stow wet bag, ect ect.

Anyway I think stealth camping is an acquired art. I love it and is one of the reasons I love traveling around the USA. My best successes have been consistently in National forest, state parks, national park, rest areas off old US highway.
Wildlife management areas with care. BLM land is also fair game but hard to know where it is unless you have some local info.

As already mentioned, arrive late, leave early and avoid interstate highway like the plague.

In south America I've had wonderful times just asking local farmers if I can pitch my tent for the night. (poner mi carpa por la noche)
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #147
Buckaroo Banzai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Problem with sleeping in the open even on clear nights is morning dew which will soak your bag and much of your gear, and many places it rains at night. Easier to just roll up a wet tent fly that stow wet bag, ect ect.

Anyway I think stealth camping is an acquired art. I love it and is one of the reasons I love traveling around the USA. My best successes have been consistently in National forest, state parks, national park, rest areas off old US highway.
Wildlife management areas with care. BLM land is also fair game but hard to know where it is unless you have some local info.

As already mentioned, arrive late, leave early and avoid interstate highway like the plague.

In south America I've had wonderful times just asking local farmers if I can pitch my tent for the night. (poner mi carpa por la noche)
Next year I retire and want to go down to Key West and stay as long as I can on the cheap. So, I think I will head your advice.

I would think area's where it's more commercial would be harder to find spots where in the country you could do as you say "ask a farmer" etc.

Also, would need somewhere to shower and clean up some. I think if you went to a state park or somewhere you could just go use the public shower. I'm sure no one would be checking there.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #148
TRAVR6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
Next year I retire and want to go down to Key West and stay as long as I can on the cheap. So, I think I will head your advice.

I would think area's where it's more commercial would be harder to find spots where in the country you could do as you say "ask a farmer" etc.

Also, would need somewhere to shower and clean up some. I think if you went to a state park or somewhere you could just go use the public shower. I'm sure no one would be checking there.
There is not much in Key west.
I would stay north of Key west if you plan on stealth camping.
Key Largo or above is your best bet
TRAVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #149
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVR6 View Post
There is not much in Key west.
I would stay north of Key west if you plan on stealth camping.
Key Largo or above is your best bet

I slept overnight on the Southernmost Beach in Key West. Just rolled down a mat.

IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #150
cpittmx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
not trying to be funny here, but often when traveling and diet has changed the control over when mother nature calls for a #2 can really be diminished. How do you handle this when camping on the church lawn or anyplace that does not have toilet facilities but is still a public place?
cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote