Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
That's a lot of km's on a three year old Ural (not necessarily a bad thing, just that I'm not used to seeing those numbers on a late model).

Or there is the 35 year old XS.

Would you consider waiting a bit to look at a few other possible choices?
But I feel that having (and keeping) your current ride is a plus in your favor. It took me years to figure out that it was ok to own more than one at a time.
Perhaps knowing what you ride at present would be of aid to those offering advice?
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
ennove OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheels52 View Post
That's a lot of km's on a three year old Ural (not necessarily a bad thing, just that I'm not used to seeing those numbers on a late model).

Or there is the 35 year old XS.

Would you consider waiting a bit to look at a few other possible choices?
But I feel that having (and keeping) your current ride is a plus in your favor. It took me years to figure out that it was ok to own more than one at a time.
Perhaps knowing what you ride at present would be of aid to those offering advice?
Jim
I have a 97 vfr750 which is my commuter. No detours, no going to strange places with unknown road endings. There's also a ninja 250 which was my learner bike. The 250 will be traded/sold if there's another bike coming in or next year when it's registration is due to expire. Whichever comes first.

Happy to wait, it's a like-to-have rather than need-to. Who knows, maybe I will trade in the little 250 and get a Harley. No, a bellagio. Oh, how about a w800?
ennove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
sb_250y
Safari Finisher 2011

Oddometer: 165
My 2c

I bought a 1986 Kawasaki with all the bits the Yamaha has and rode it back from Tasmania.

Been a time consuming project tidying things up, cost a few $$$. It did the Black Dog Ride Sydney, Townsville Alice Springs, Port Augusta, Mildura, Condobolin Sydney. 8000km in 14 days with my girlfriend riding it with the dog while I was at work.

Now it is getting more $$$ thrown at it.

Unless you have plenty of spare coin, are going to leave it in the garage or are passionate about old bikes, I'd look at something a bit newer like a Ural. Plenty come available at reasonable price.
11 ZX14
70 R5 + 73 RD350
sb_250y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #19
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheels52 View Post
Squid's owner did a lap of the block that racks up a lot of km. The story is out there...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Squid's owner did a lap of the block that racks up a lot of km. The story is out there...
What a great ride to take, will look for the story.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,582
IMHO, the xs 2nd gear issue is a consequence of riders thrashing through 1st and trying to jam it into 2nd, without consideration of the mass of a middle gear, shaft, crown wheel & pinion plus, one of the heaviest wheels to ever grace a motorcycle. Notwithstanding that, 2nd gear on the old girls may be an issue, as may the starter clutch.

Another few things to consider with an XS is, especially if it's been sitting for years, is the condition of things like the fuel tap diaphrams (PITA) and the carburettor diaphrams (expensive PITA) and the potential need to replace or renew lots of different seals etc. They do age, especially when they aren't regularly used.

Not saying don't go an old bike (look inside my shed - one is 41, one is 33, one is 32 abd the youngen is 17). Difference is, I've had most of them since near new.

My XS dragged a big outfit for several years and worked very well. They are top notch outfit bikes. Or maybe that should be - 'they can be'.

Maybe you shouldn't decide from a remote distance?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote