User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
mantree OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
My first hack

In August of 2012 I was ridding southbound on a highway in Hawaii when a northbound driver made a left turn cutting me off. My honda shadow was declared a complete loss and I had 27 fractures in my right foot as well as two torn ligaments in my right leg. In October of 2013 I decided it is time to get back in the saddle. After checking craigslist everyday for 2 weeks I found a California friendship 1 sidecar for $800. At this time I am still looking for a tug for my rig, I'm leaning towards a goldwing. I would love to hear any advice anybody has any suggestions on building a adventure rig I plan on reattempting my Yukon highway ride seeing as how my last attempt ended with a very expensive ride home when I spun a bearing and cracked a head on my 78 cb750.

mantree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantree View Post
In August of 2012 I was ridding southbound on a highway in Hawaii when a northbound driver made a left turn cutting me off. My honda shadow was declared a complete loss and I had 27 fractures in my right foot as well as two torn ligaments in my right leg. In October of 2013 I decided it is time to get back in the saddle. After checking craigslist everyday for 2 weeks I found a California friendship 1 sidecar for $800. At this time I am still looking for a tug for my rig, I'm leaning towards a goldwing. I would love to hear any advice anybody has any suggestions on building a adventure rig I plan on reattempting my Yukon highway ride seeing as how my last attempt ended with a very expensive ride home when I spun a bearing and cracked a head on my 78 cb750.

An older Goldwing might be a good choice as they come up cheeeep all the time. I bought a "naked" 1977 a couple years back with the intent to mount a sidecar, but it is way too much fun to ride as a solo.
The post 1977 models all (I think) had the "Comstar" steel wheels which would probably be better than the D.I.D. spoked wheels mine has.
DMC has some very inexpensive 2 piece lower sidecar mounts for Goldwings too.....

I set up a friends old Wing a couple winters ago...he also found it on Craigslist for $800.00....what a steal!...DMC supplied all the mounts and everything he needed very reasonably.
Only took 6 hours to mount the rig and another day to get everything "dialed" in....he wanted to keep all the "full dress" goodies in place. Only had to trim a tiny piece from a sidecover and another small section removed on the front fairing to fit everything back in place. He runs the thing every day with his load of hounds...

I run a BMW 1000cc Airhead bike with my sidecar. They aren't really a good sidecar tug...."liquid cooled" is the way to go.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 09:05 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
mantree OP
Adventurer

Very nice setup im looking at a gl1100 and the sidecar do to the damage to my leg. As for the mounting hardware the hack came off a gl1000 so it should line up fairly easily but i might have my fabricator weld up a sub frame

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk now Free
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
If you go with any of the GL's we have mounts. For the GL1500 and the GL1800 the sidecar frame needs to be the longer frame they offered for these sidecars, We make a weld on kit to make the sidecar frame into the long frame.
I ran a GL1100 as my main transportation for 7 years and 150K miles. I converted it to an automotive wheel on the rear that I ran a snow tire on. Traction on hard packed snow was a real issue, it did not have enough to pull even very slight hills and tire chains are a pain to get to work as there is so little clearance between the tire and the swing arm on the drive shaft side.
I latter switched to a GL1500 that due to its plastic and how heavy it is I never tried it in the snow. In time I switched to a BMW R100/7 with a Ural sidecar, its narrow tires worked much better on the snow with knobby tires. Now I drive to work as I live to close to make it worth putting on all of the safety and rain gear I like to wear, the car ends up being faster but in the 7 years I commuted by bike, the only time I drove a car was if I needed to take my wife's car in for service or when I would go out to the garage with my riding gear on only to find my bike gone as my wife left for work before me and did so on my bike. This only happed a couple of times before we purchased a bike for her a Moto Guzzi Eldorado which also worked good in the snow, her bike was an ex LAPD bike and even had the lap blanket and LAPD type fabric lowers, with Hippo hands on the bars it made for a nice winter ride. and both it and my BMW were much easier to add tire chains to.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
mantree OP
Adventurer

My first hack

So I got out to the shed today to get some photos and started my planing for the wiring using a 6 pin trailer loom

As you can see the sub frame looks like it was made in a shed with a 110 ark welder which is good because it makes me feel a bit better about my shop as for the wiring the 4 pin is for the speakers and the 2 pin runs the running and stop lamps

mantree screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 01:21 PM
Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

You have the up dated newer type lower mounts, The sub frame you have is for a GL1000 or GL1100 Goldwing. This the torsion type suspension which should be taken apart, inspected and if the bushing shows any wear at all it should be replaced. Before taking it apart give your self some witness marks so that you can get the swing arm back in the same place as it was as this sets ride height. Inspect the springs for cracking and if all is fine pack it all with grease when you put it back together.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
mantree OP
Adventurer

My first hack

So I woke up to a unpleasant site this morning
I was going to be picking up my new royal star but we will have snow the next couple of days and my old truck puked oil from its rear seal and is sitting waiting for me to have the motivation and time to fix it but at half a million miles I might be better off replacing her. I guess this will just leave me to work that can be done inside or in the shop I'm going to try to separate the male clevis from the stud it is on

And pull a mold of the tail light lens so that I can make a amber lens so I can turn one of the tail lights into a turn lamp
Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

You have the early type strap clamp. These are known to fail. If you intend to use it once you have it installed and under tension drill two holes one on each side of the eye bolt all the way through the strap and the block and install two 1/4 inch bolts to keep the strap from spreading. Or of course we make these clamps with the bolts in them.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Old 10-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
mantree OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
You have the early type strap clamp. These are known to fail. If you intend to use it once you have it installed and under tension drill two holes one on each side of the eye bolt all the way through the strap and the block and install two 1/4 inch bolts to keep the strap from spreading. Or of course we make these clamps with the bolts in them.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Thanks jay that was my first thought when I saw them I am going to clamp it on a pipe and throw it on the drill press
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
mantree OP
Adventurer

My first hack

So I picked up the bike this morning and started wrenching right away I have the rear lower mount on and tomorrow I will start on the front and drill the holes in the tension clamps and break the clevis nut free I think I might need to do some work on the hub do to the angle of the wheel

I am going to get longer bolts so that I can put the rear floorboard back on
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
mantree OP
Adventurer

My first hack

Well got a bit more work done today before being put in handcuffs on a case of mistaken identity. I got the upper clamps drilled with locking nuts on the bolts

And got them mounted after disassembling half the bike
I also installed the longer hardened bolts for the rear lower so that I could have a passenger foot peg back
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
mantree OP
Adventurer

Well I started to rip apart my axle this morning and found a mix of good and bad news

The springs appear to be almost new and the bearings cleaned up good but then devastation struck as I inspected the spindle

Yes that is one very bent spindle I'm going to take it in to a trailer shop and see if they can fix it for me my normal route would be to replace the part but that is difficult when I can't pop down to auto zone and pickup a new half shaft
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantree View Post
*zap*

but then devastation struck as I inspected the spindle

Yes that is one very bent spindle I'm going to take it in to a trailer shop and see if they can fix it for me my normal route would be to replace the part but that is difficult when I can't pop down to auto zone and pickup a new half shaft

If the spindle is that bent I'd be looking at the rest of that swingarm with suspicion.

Looks to be Colorado tags so it might be a bit far for you but if you're chasing parts for your Cali' rig this bloke seems to have most of what you need if you don't mind shipping from Florida.

Neat old CJ5 ? in the shed.

http://floridasidecarproducts.com/ca..._sidecar_parts

Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
mantree OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
If the spindle is that bent I'd be looking at the rest of that swingarm with suspicion.

Looks to be Colorado tags so it might be a bit far for you but if you're chasing parts for your Cali' rig this bloke seems to have most of what you need if you don't mind shipping from Florida.

Neat old CJ5 ? in the shed.

http://floridasidecarproducts.com/ca..._sidecar_parts

Nice eye it is a cj5 but not mine. I checked on the Florida sidecar site but I didn't see any for sale the rest of the axle is straight but I might do the axle swap to a new rubber axle. There are plenty of sidecars here in co but they are all urals so not much help in parts there.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
mantree OP
Adventurer

Well I got a new spindle ordered today and it will be in by Monday but I have a 6 day stretch starting tomorrow so it will be a bit before I can get it put together