Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #31
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,151
A few years ago, I spent four days riding the outermost highways along the border of Nebraska. Total mileage was approximately 1350 miles with all of the sightseeing I did along the way. Seriously, sightseeing in Nebraska. And I felt incredibly rushed. Six days and allowing time to look around would have been better.

On the other hand, I have done 500 to 700 mile days to spend 200 to 300 mile days touring Colorado or Arkansas. If you need to ride hard and long to get to the area you want to ride, do it. If you just want to spend some time on the bike and away from work, don't worry about mileage. Flip a coin and go wherever the head of the coin points you.

No two trips are the same.
zoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #32
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Am getting ready to go on a trip, its been a while since I put some distance in. I have been through the getting to point A to Point B in record time, those days are behind me now.

I have a week off and leaving Vancouver BC down to Bend OR across to Crescent City CA and then ride north up the coast, not in any rush it will be a leisurely pace, I like to stop at the odd Antique stores on the way, some times I can be in one for a couple minuets, others an hour I use that as my rest time.

Looking forward to this trip going solo camping, leave Saturday....

See you on the road......
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart5533 View Post
Am getting ready to go on a trip, its been a while since I put some distance in. I have been through the getting to point A to Point B in record time, those days are behind me now.

I have a week off and leaving Vancouver BC down to Bend OR across to Crescent City CA and then ride north up the coast, not in any rush it will be a leisurely pace, I like to stop at the odd Antique stores on the way, some times I can be in one for a couple minuets, others an hour I use that as my rest time.

Looking forward to this trip going solo camping, leave Saturday....

See you on the road......
Zigging and zagging through that part of the country for a week sounds like a great way to spend a week.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #34
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Zigging and zagging through that part of the country for a week sounds like a great way to spend a week.
Cant Wait, best therapy ever. Plus the odd
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
baka1969
Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer: 21
Overall, for me, I can do 400 mile days. Day-after-day. I find 600 miles a chore but can do it if needed. Anything over that and I really prefer to break it up. On my recent trip I had 2 consecutive 400 mile days and then 2 separate 600 mile days. During the two 600 milers I took breaks more often and for longer periods. It was also hovering around 100*.

I'd say on an extended trip, 8 hours a day is doable.
baka1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #36
Groovemaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Go at your own pace

I find it depends on the roads and your bike. I have a done some 4000km rides and for me 600km a day is comfortable. I have done 700km+ but find that is getting a bit long. At that point I am just putting in km's and not really enjoying the ride. I take State Highways in the USA/Canada or secondary roads. Not a fan of I-75, 401 etc. so it always takes longer than it should. I have done 12 hours but 7-8 is comfortable. I ride a Ninja 500 so I stop every approx 120kms and just get off the bike for 10 minutes to stretch. Have a great ride.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I am currently planning a trip for a weak.
I want to go to Key West because it's on my to do list.
However, from Maryland it will not be fun to do in a weak.
It will be like torture on my KLR. Instead
I am going to go to Hatteras, Myrtle Beach then to the Dragon....
Still in the works. Seems do-able. Plenty of time to sight-see.
I don't want to push it.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #38
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,310
I'll let everyone know during or after http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912005

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #39
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
I prefer 200 mile days if I have the time, but have done some long days to get where I'm going and enjoy the destination.

Two longer trips taken last year were good contrasts. I had 21 days to get to Spearfish, SD from the metro Detroit area and back. So, I plotted out destinations 200 miles apart and rode to Louisiana, then back up to South Dakota. Second trip was to Cape Breton with two weeks time allotted. I pounded 1100 miles out the first two days to be in the Gaspè Peninsula, then slowed down and did some serious sightseeing till I got to Calais, ME. Two days later, I was home.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #40
AZchris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I did my first cross country trip this August from Atlanta to my home in Arizona via mostly backroads and a detour to Florida. I learned that taking a break every 2 hours made for a better day. Loved it.

My approximate daily mileage:
Day 1: 320--North Georgia to Tallahassee, FL
Day 2: Visit Family
Day 3: Visit Family
Day 4: 230--Tallahassee, FL to Pensacola, FL via Gulf Coast Highways
Day 5: 420--Pensacola, FL to Kaplan, LA (Took the Pontchartrain Causeway, definite highlight of the trip.)
Day 6: 400--Kaplan, LA to Austin, TX
Day 7: Off day in Austin, super cool city.
Day 8: 400--Austin, TX to Lubbock, TX
Day 9: 550--Lubbock, TX to Show Low, AZ
Day 10: 200--Show Low, AZ to Prescott, AZ

Great Trip!
1979 Vespa--------Left her in South Africa, fun little bike.
1982 CX500-------Crashed, but great first bike
AZchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #41
Wyngs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
350-400 miles is a comfortable solo day for me. An example of what I like to do would be last year. Was kinda pizzed off about some things, woke up on a Thursday morning said screw it and hopped on the Street Glide. Where ever the front wheel went is where I went. Ended up just south of Macinack Mich that night. Spent the next day exploring there and parts of the UP even though it was raining cats and dogs and ended up back down in Greyling. Next day rose early and hit the slab for home because I had to work on Sunday. Funny thing is, even though it rained so hard on the second day most of the day, that was one of the most enjoyable trips that I have ever been on.

An important lesson learned was to NEVER ride a motorcycle through Detroit An Abrams tank would be more to my liking

My advice is that it depends on the circumstances. The kind of trip as described above is awesome. But if you have a place in mind that you want to visit and it is a long way to get there and you have limited time away, you will have to bite the bullet and do some hard miles both ways. Just as others have said, take breaks. I tend to get into a routine. Rise about 4, eat and haul azz. Stop about every half tank for 10 -15 minutes which on the Glide is around 150 miles or a little less. The Beemer I havent tried yet. Start looking for a place to stay at about 5 unless the miles need to be made. That is what works for me anyway, everyone is different.

~Wyngs
Wyngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #42
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
For me the best it to listen to my body, if I feel good I ride up to 10-12hrs

My own rules: I don't ride after dark or before dawn, if I am tired i stop and rest for the day, it could be as short as 4-5hrs.

I enjoy riding and there is no reason for me to ride as a chore.
achtung3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #43
jwallick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
For me it depends on if I'm destination driven or journey driven.

If destination driven and I have good weather, a 500-600 mile day is very doable once you get into a rhythm and have enough daylight.

If the journey is the most important thing then it depends on what sites I want to take in. I may ride 300 miles one day, but only 100 the next.

I try never to ride after sundown and never start more than 2 hours before sunrise.
jwallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #44
Hausi1
asd

Oddometer: 49
If I got time on my hands I always try to keep under 200k's a day. When I really just want to get somewhere 500k's are doable in my book without completly ruining the next day.

I also like to do most of the riding before lunch. 3-5h in the saddle everyday (with rest breaks) is what I found to be quite good, and sustainable.

Cheers
Fred
Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #45
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
For me, 550-600 miles a day is comfortably repeatable day after day. I am an early riser and usually have the tent packed and breakfast eaten by sunrise. 300 miles by noon is a good marker with the afternoon left to dawdle around and pick up the rest. Make camp early, rest, eat and recharge. Early to bed. Rinse and repeat the next day.

Where I get anxious and pack on the miles is on the return trip. The last day on the trip toward the barn is generally a loooong one as I am ready to get home to the wife!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote