Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #241
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
I read that prior to surgery so I had some idea of the recovery time and what was involved. So basically we are going to drill some holes in your bone and tie some stuff off...yep that should tighten you right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Those incisions look pretty darn good, given the recent-ness of the surgery. Right on.
Thanks....those pictures were right after they pulled the tape and removed the stitches, so the skin hadn't even had a chance to relax yet.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #242
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Foot is feeling a bit better all the time but I can't wait to start putting weight on it and getting to the end. So we were looking at the incisions a bit more yesterday and found that the helper person missed a few stitches when they were being removed. No biggie though nothing a pair of tweezers and scissors won't fix. The incisions are looking pretty good and I will post some pictures later on this weekend. Where they went in to repair the ligament is still the slowest to heal and most painful area, but it has gotten a lot better recently. The few times time I put a bit and I do mean a bit of pressure on the foot it's manageable...not pleasant but comfortable. So I have to say I think it is on the right track but only time will tell...that's in about two weeks when I am allowed to start putting weight on it. So it looks like I will be full weight bearing prior to Christmas whereas last year they had just taken the temporary screws out on the 23rd which made Christmas suck!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #243
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Pictures as promised

Sometimes I feel bad about posting pictures of the injury/wounds but then I figure it's face plant so it's ok.
As you can see there is still a lot of swelling in my foot.

Pretty good size incision (ankle)

And I think the top is looking pretty good considering I only had surgery October 10th.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #244
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Things are going really well with almost zero pain and the incisions are looking good. I have about 1 week left until I can start officially putting weight on the foot again and start driving.
I picked up one of these iWalk devices on Friday and it seems to be working pretty well. I can get up and down the stairs to the house and basement and walk without assistance. Female not included.....

For more information
Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #245
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
It'll be interesting to see how much of an improvement the new design will be over the old. Those peglegs are a pretty excellent idea, in any case--just be ready to deal with getting lots of weird looks, questions and such when you're in public with it on. I have even unstrapped mine, sat down and had a few really curious people try it out. Good on you for dealing with their learning curve so quickly!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #246
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

I haven't gone out in public with it yet but I get the same response about my scooter, my Barber actually rode it around while I was waiting in the chair....pretty funny actually.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #247
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Things are going really well with almost zero pain and the incisions are looking good. I have about 1 week left until I can start officially putting weight on the foot again and start driving.
I picked up one of these iWalk devices on Friday and it seems to be working pretty well. I can get up and down the stairs to the house and basement and walk without assistance. Female not included.....

For more information
Thanks for this. I just ordered one. I had my surgery on October 30 so I am a little behind you. My dislocations were not as severe but my metatarsal bones were broken at the base. My post surgery foot looks remarkably like yours! I think I'll get an eye patch and parrot to go with the iWalk.
Littlepeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #248
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Glad I could be of help, these little devices have made the experience this time much more tolerable. If you don't mind sharing what happened? Got any x-rays of before surgery and after? Wishing you the best!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #249
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Glad I could be of help, these little devices have made the experience this time much more tolerable. If you don't mind sharing what happened? Got any x-rays of before surgery and after? Wishing you the best!
Thanks Bruce, my accident was a slow speed tip over on a fully loaded KLR. I was crossing a small puddle and hit something under the water that dumped me on my right side and my foot hooked and folded in the middle. I knew immediately that it was broken, as I could feel the bones breaking. I was on a group ride so there was lots of help to get the bike back up. After the shock started to fade and I got my bearings my friends held the bike up to get me started and I rode out of the woods (about 1km) and then half an hour on gravel roads back to a friends place. I left the bike there and removed my boots and motorcycle clothes because I new they would want to cut them off at the hospital. Another half an hour in a pick-up truck to the hospital. Here are some pics.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #250
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

I have an intense burning (like a hot poker) on the inside of my foot where the displaced bone was pushing on the skin. Other than that the pain is bearable. I don't find the morphine does anything but make me sleepy. The pins should come out in another four weeks and I will get a cast or boot so my foot will finally have some protection. Three to Five months of zero weight bearing. The surgeon didn't think that fusions were needed so I am hoping things will heal well. The plate and screws may need to be removed in the future. I hope things better go for you this second time around.

Take care,

Peter

Littlepeter screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 12:40 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #251
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Damn dude that looks knarly! Well I hope things are getting better and it heals well!!!!! So were those Sidi Crossfire boots that you were wearing? The Morphine didn't do shit for me either.

Well I got my driving privileges back today and also my first weight bearing day, only 40lbs though. So now it is adding 20 lbs every two days until I am at full weight. It actually feels really really good and doesn't hurt at all, feels kind of weird to be walking again though.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #252
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Damn dude that looks knarly! Well I hope things are getting better and it heals well!!!!! So were those Sidi Crossfire boots that you were wearing? The Morphine didn't do shit for me either.

Well I got my driving privileges back today and also my first weight bearing day, only 40lbs though. So now it is adding 20 lbs every two days until I am at full weight. It actually feels really really good and doesn't hurt at all, feels kind of weird to be walking again though.
Congratulations on the great progress! My boots are Discos. I don't think any boots would have prevented my injuries as the impact was directly on the top of my foot.

Peter
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #253
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Ouch

Oh man, and I complain about my toes hurting from running marathons. Those injuries had to hurt like hell.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #254
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Well, I went in for another checkup and he said everything is healing well and would see me again the first week in January. The problem is I got no relief from anything...meaning keep wearing the sleeping boot, keep wearing the walking boot, no real exercising with resistance on that leg, and no regular shoes. Pretty much keep doing the same thing for another 6 weeks. NOT what I wanted to hear at all. It seems that we are in a holding pattern due to the ligament work. I was hoping to be transitioning back to a shoe about the middle of December but I guess not. Pretty much sucks! Oh well, I guess it could be way worse.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #255
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Just a couple days shy of 9 weeks from surgery.

I haven't checked in for a while so I figured it was time. Still not quite up to full weight bearing officially but have been motoring around the house for the last couple of days unassisted and that seems to be going relatively well. Since I still have to wear the boot all the time I am unsure of how the ankle and ligament will be. When I do walk I have a bit of weirdness in the ankle from just loading it....not really pain but just different from the left one, hopefully that works itself out. Hopefully when I go back to see the Doc in a couple of weeks things are well enough that I can start wearing shoes again and leading a more normal life.
So as a way of getting things back up to speed after surgery I signed up for a Warrior Dash in May, should be fun but a lot of prep work. Well in preps I went to the gym last weekend for one of their hour group training sessions, I have been working out by myself recently and needed a change, let's just say holy crap my legs have gotten weak and they were sore, I mean really sore for two days. So this has given me something to work on and shoot for.

I hope the rest of you guys are doing well in your recovery and I don't wish this on the rest of you!