Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #5011
59ksmall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
14/50 on the big wheels and 14/48 with the 17", the axle adjuster blocks can flip to make up 2 rear teeth, no chain adjustment necessary.
If I were to get a new chain, what size would be good for this set-up. Or do you cut the chain down?
2007 DRZ400sm (sold)
59ksmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #5012
ChasM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobil View Post
Does anybody have a pdf of the workshop manual for the 2011 530? I have the 2009 one.
Thanks!
Bat
I'll bet that the '09 and '11 manuals are almost the same.
'08 KTM HTR 350 XCF-W(Revloc
'74 Norton 850 Commando
ChasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #5013
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Yup! Last year I bought a WR450 with a 1/2 used up oring chain on it. At the same time, my buddy bought a WR426 and put a brand new high end non-oring chain on it. By the time he blew up his 426 (maybe 60 hours of riding), my oring chain was probably at 30% left, and his new non-oring chain was toast. Nearly every hour on the bikes was put on side by side. I see no reason for the existence of non-oring chains at this point.
An 0-ring chain can seem stiff when its been sitting,once its warmed up from riding they flex just fine. Ive gone many rides with a good o-ring chain with no adjustments needed,hence the sprockets last longer.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #5014
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Hold tight. I think Rally Moto Kit will be offering a Rigid LED kit soon.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

any word on the availability of this kit?
did this project ever come to fruition?

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #5015
fast4ward
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasM View Post
I'll bet that the '09 and '11 manuals are almost the same.
That's what I think too. I use the 2009 PDF manual for work on my 2011 530 XC-W, and I've yet to find anything that isn't covered, or looks different.
fast4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #5016
Mendo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Nothing to add but I love my 08' 530. Rides and wheelies like no tomorrow!

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com

Mendo screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 04:03 PM
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #5017
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 815
Are you renting 530 in Hawaii?

Nice riding spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post

Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #5018
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
Having raced for many years in my youth and still a mx rider now I have found that in my own experience the non o ring chain lasted longer given the same cleaning routine, each time a chain went I found that the inner o ring you are referring too was already trashed, i'll grant you this though I am a tight arse.
But MX is short ride and these bikes are for longer range, sometimes multi-day rides. MX bikes aren't running through creeks and rivers.

O-ring chain with a steel rear sprocket like Stealth, Ironman or even economy steel sprockets will last the longest especially if you change out the front before it wears considerably.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #5019
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
HID headlight upgrade (it's alive)

Sorry to have been lingereing so long on finishing this up. So in this picture you can see the wiring coming from the back of the housing. I used the original lo-beam wire grommet to run the hi-beam gate wiring through after removing the bulb tangs.

This picture shows the "behind the headlight" wiring that was done. The lower left in the picture is the Ballst that came with the lighting kit. It was mounted to the lower triple clamp using the upper part of the hole already machined and threaded there. All of the wiring from the battery followed the routing of the factory harness to the front of the bike. The ornage relay in the upper right was bolted through the old turn signal bracket. The brown and white wires were connected to the switch block in the Morimoto harness to turn on the light itself. The Blue and brown were connected to the red and black from the hi-beam gate on the projector. Brown is the ground. I had to make some offset brackets to stand the head light shroud about 1.5 inches forward of the factory location due to the depth of the bulb and its plug.

Here it is on. I also did the Baja Designs statr and regulator rectifier upgrade.

Lo-beam

Hi beam. Those cars are about 80-100 yards away.

I have around $250 in parts in the whole mod including the HID Kit from the Retrofit Source and the BD reg/rectifier and Stator mod kit. I am pretty happy with it. Hope you guys like it here as well.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #5020
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
Not trying to complain here but damn, this bike is so fast and so light it's actually a little hard for me to ride in the tight woods trails of northern Michigan...

Hopping a log in first gear usually sends me 6 feet up into the branches of the trees...LOL
I am also riding a 530 on similar terrain.

I saw your previous post regarding new sprockets, and thought that maybe your gearing is high.

I ride 13/50...seems to be the favoured gearing in the east...might give you more pop and less launch when you need to wheelie over a log...maybe 52 even.

Steel rear sprockets all wear a long time compared to aluminum but the Ironman and Stealth are lighter than the regular priced steel sprockets.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #5021
Mendo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Are you renting 530 in Hawaii?
No, this is just my personal fun bike. We rent ADV'd KLR650's and will be expanding our lineup soon.

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com

Mendo screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 01:20 PM
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #5022
59ksmall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
RAD Wheels are on the way! So pumped!
2007 DRZ400sm (sold)
59ksmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #5023
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I am also riding a 530 on similar terrain.

I saw your previous post regarding new sprockets, and thought that maybe your gearing is high.

I ride 13/50...seems to be the favoured gearing in the east...might give you more pop and less launch when you need to wheelie over a log...maybe 52 even.

Steel rear sprockets all wear a long time compared to aluminum but the Ironman and Stealth are lighter than the regular priced steel sprockets.
I currently have 14, 50 on the bike and this seems to be a real good all around ratio. But I may get a 13 this spring and try it out. As the tight single track I like to ride, I'm lugging second gear..
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #5024
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
I currently have 14, 50 on the bike and this seems to be a real good all around ratio. But I may get a 13 this spring and try it out. As the tight single track I like to ride, I'm lugging second gear..
I ran 14-50 for a long time then switched to 14-52....like it a lot better! Does great in the tight twisty stuff and still has enough on top to haul the mail when needed! I prefer to run a larger counter sprocket when possible to extend chain and chain slider life.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #5025
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Sorry to have been lingereing so long on finishing this up. So in this picture you can see the wiring coming from the back of the housing. I used the original lo-beam wire grommet to run the hi-beam gate wiring through after removing the bulb tangs.

This picture shows the "behind the headlight" wiring that was done. The lower left in the picture is the Ballst that came with the lighting kit. It was mounted to the lower triple clamp using the upper part of the hole already machined and threaded there. All of the wiring from the battery followed the routing of the factory harness to the front of the bike. The ornage relay in the upper right was bolted through the old turn signal bracket. The brown and white wires were connected to the switch block in the Morimoto harness to turn on the light itself. The Blue and brown were connected to the red and black from the hi-beam gate on the projector. Brown is the ground. I had to make some offset brackets to stand the head light shroud about 1.5 inches forward of the factory location due to the depth of the bulb and its plug.

Here it is on. I also did the Baja Designs statr and regulator rectifier upgrade.

Lo-beam

Hi beam. Those cars are about 80-100 yards away.

I have around $250 in parts in the whole mod including the HID Kit from the Retrofit Source and the BD reg/rectifier and Stator mod kit. I am pretty happy with it. Hope you guys like it here as well.

Thanks for the review, hope your loving the performance of the stator mod kit and rectifier. Let me know if you need anything else or have any questions. Thank you for interest in Baja Designs products!
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote