Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #31
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 618
Since I'm a big fan of the old Rotax air-cooled single, I recently bought this as my "modern retro" ride.

1994 MZ Silver Star Classic 500. 350 lbs. 34 horsepower, counter-balanced, 4 valves, electric and kick starting, 60 mpg. Enclosed chain. Handles excellent, good brakes, very smooth. Only 100 were ever imported, so they're not exactly easy to find. Cheaper than an SR500 in the same condition, much less than a GB500 or new Enfield.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #32
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I have a '76 350 Enfield bullet. Everythjing they say about Indian Enfields is true. Horrible, horrible, horrible thing. It can't take any beating, I am lukcy to get it out of the garage without it breaking down.

O. No. Wait.

Enfield scramble from Michiel on Vimeo.

This happened a lot too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RV6LklwirM

dozens and dozens of times. Stay tuned for my end of year 2013 crash compilation

Did it break? Yes. Due to my own fault (forgot a valve cap.... well, actually the PO did).

But I really did make these guys sweat in the woods:

Here you see me leading the pack:

and crash.... of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NymFXQ8e5Sw

In short: The Enfield has offered me hundreds and hundreds of hours of fun. I did not even have to recheck the timing once... (knock, knock, knock)

If high speeds is not your thing and if you are careful picking the right bike: Go for it. You will not regret it.
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
I do not think they ever sold the 350 in the US.
If they did, it was when they were made in England...

And parts are not easy to get in the US, since they did not sell here for many years.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrider46 View Post
That's my old bike !! You got a nice one there . I recognise the mark on the side panel . A very useable bike . I have done thousands of miles in the Himalayas on the Bullet , and you form a real atatchment to them . They have stopped making the Woodsman now . Enjoy your bike
Really! I bought it a couple of months ago, I guess the last guy didn't ride it much as it only has 1500 miles on the clock.

Needs tax and MOT, but It's going to wait til spring now
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
So you wants us to talk you out of an Enfield.
I'll give it a try.

Don't buy an Enfield.

It's my only transportation for the last 2.5 years, 25000 kilometers so far. Nothing to complain or whine about, that's annoying.

Whenever I stop, people come to have a look and chat. It's a major cause of loss of time while conversing with good people, yielding useful tips, that sucks.

I have difficulty to keep it below 75mph on the highway which is the speed limit in this country. Mind you, I rode 40 years without a speeding ticket. This Enfield caused me two already! No, this is not a good bike if you need to stay ticketfree. Now, that's really

I truely hope these three reasons will suffice to definitely talk you out of a Royal Enfield. Please, don't do it, you'll regret it.

Cheers,
Old 10-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #36
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,985
Gordon May has ridden RE Bullets on some long,long journeys:

http://www.overlandtosouthafrica.co.uk/index.html
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #37
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
I have a '76 350 Enfield bullet. Everythjing they say about Indian Enfields is true. Horrible, horrible, horrible thing.
Only thing I see as horrible on your motorcycle is the little tiny handlebars.

Dave
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #38
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I do not think they ever sold the 350 in the US.
If they did, it was when they were made in England...

And parts are not easy to get in the US, since they did not sell here for many years.

Originally, the only model made in India was the 350 Bullet.
Those have been brought to the US, UK and Europe by various people since the mid-80's, sometimes in importer type quantities.

Parts for all the Indian made models are easy to find. Just do a search on ebay for "enfield parts", you'll find hundreds of listings from several India-based exporters, and for amazing prices compared with similar parts for Japanese bikes.
I have purchased quite a few Indian made parts for my two British-built twins; many of them are identical to the originals, including the BSC 26 tpi threads used on so many cycle parts on original Enfields.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #39
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
You know I always wanted a vintage or vintage looking bike. I have had all kinds of modern bikes through the years. I have always done my own basic maintenance. I was out kicking tires at one of my local dealers last week and noticed they had 2 leftover or maybe demo Royal Enfields both with low miles. One was an 07, the other an 04, both were priced less than $3K. I have researched these bikes a little and know they are vibey, low speed, non highway short distance bikes that require a good bit of maintenace to run properly. These are the cast iron barreled carburated bikes. I have read about the sprag clutch issues and know the e-start will not work for very long if used often so I would accept that it is a kick start only bike with the well documented starting procedure. What I don't want is a catastrophic failure of some kind and repair work that requires a dealer or more mechanical skills than I have.

I have considered Honda CB350s and some other Japanese vintage bikes but they just don't have that classic Brit bike look like the RE bullets have.
Yes I know I would be much better off with a modern reto like a triumph bonneville, but then the cost factor goes up.

What does the asylum say?

They are too much fun, they are too easy to maintain, its still to easy to find spares, people will stare at you when you pass by, give you jealous looks and - depending of the age - you may have to attend oldtimer shows.

I hope I managed to talk you out of it - mine is from 1966 and not for sale.

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #40
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
I bought a 2006 Bullet 500. Looked great but the valves could not stay adjusted. I thought I was screwing it up so I had the shop check it, 2 times (it would stop running, I take it in, they adjust and within 100 miles, it happens again).

Glad I did because one day I was riding along, thinking, man, this bike is running great today. Really making power. Then "sproing, clack" engine stops, I clutch in and coast to the shoulder. It dropped a valve. I got a full rebuild under warranty and sold it after that. I just couldn't trust it.

It handled well and looked great, but I needed a bike I could ride. I have a bonneville now.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #41
KipperMatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I have a 2011 C5 Bullet. Its one of 10 imported into my country for that year.
Runs great for what it is designed for. They were/are not built for blasting down the highway, but are a very nice handling bike for day to day secondary / backroads riding. Peg dragging it on sweepies is still fun. just remember that the pegs are solid mount, unfolding affairs and lead to making an excellent pivot point for a short journey to the nearby ditch.

The newer unit construction engines with fuel injection are fantastic, coming with hydraulic lifters and keihne injection system.
The stock spark plug that the bike is shipped with is a wonderful item to put in a drawer. There are better plugs to usen that smoothn out the idle and stumbles.

Over 22,000 km of fun. No breakdowns. No bolts or bits flung off.

Cant say much for the older iron barrel or lean burn engines as I've never owned one.

The Royal Enfield USA website is an excellent resource and a great bunch of blokes. Much like here.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #42
abhi
XC on RE

Oddometer: 32
I've had one of the AVL ones for over a 120,000 kms now. Will be 9 years since I bought it.

Bipolar Love hate relationship. Has been a relatively trusty steed for loaded two up traveling.

How it looked a couple of weekends ago. That's my wife standing with it.

Get it, if you are good with wrenching your own bikes.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #43
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Any updates on this? Did the OP get one or choose something else?
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Any updates on this? Did the OP get one or choose something else?
Yeah, probably a Prius.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote