Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Take a look at some old-school bikes, that's where they used to mount them
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Or a brand new Harley.
What's the difference?

Now seriously, I wouldn't worry about the swingarm - as said before, I'd worry about what else the previous owner did...

I wouldn't buy it.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #32
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Run it as is, it's not a big deal at all.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #33
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
I think its a great design. Just yell to your passenger to give you some extra rear preload for the rough stuff. Works great.
lol!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #34
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler23 View Post
Think of a swing arm as a steel floor or ceiling joist. A box tube with a hole in the side will not effect a load applied in a vertical direction. Joist get their strength from the top and bottom straps hooked together by "x" braces with it being mostly open from the sides. A round hole will not create a stress riser and I wouldn't think twice about it being a safety issue. Put a plastic grommet plug in it to keep out dirt and water and ride it! Just an honest opinion from a deg. engineer.

^^^^^^
Exactly!

Cosmetic issue only.

If the holes bug you, just patch them with JB Weld or run a bolt through it with a lock nut.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #35
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler23 View Post
Think of a swing arm as a steel floor or ceiling joist. A box tube with a hole in the side will not effect a load applied in a vertical direction. Joist get their strength from the top and bottom straps hooked together by "x" braces with it being mostly open from the sides. A round hole will not create a stress riser and I wouldn't think twice about it being a safety issue. Put a plastic grommet plug in it to keep out dirt and water and ride it! Just an honest opinion from a deg. engineer.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but the swingarms on these bikes are made with a C-channel and then have a thinner aluminum piece welded on the inside. Oh, and they come with several holes for the brake line clamps and chain slider.

I'd suggest that you get him to knock $100 off the price and buy the one I offered you

Be warned that the swingarm bolt on the XR250/400 can be very difficult to remove. Next XR I buy, I'm bringing a breaker bar and a few sockets and checking if the bolt is siezed before I hand over any cash
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I don't know if it makes a difference, but the swingarms on these bikes are made with a C-channel and then have a thinner aluminum piece welded on the inside. Oh, and they come with several holes for the brake line clamps and chain slider.

I'd suggest that you get him to knock $100 off the price and buy the one I offered you

Be warned that the swingarm bolt on the XR250/400 can be very difficult to remove. Next XR I buy, I'm bringing a breaker bar and a few sockets and checking if the bolt is siezed before I hand over any cash
I'm going to wait a couple weeks and do just that. I probably won't be replacing the swingarm though. I've heard it can be a real biotch to get the bolt out.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 AM   #37
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Why not just get someone to TIG the holes up? Looks a nice bike other than the holes, and if he cant sell then get the seller to arrange the welding? (very easy about 20 minutes work).
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote