Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #271
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Day 65 More Beach Time

Day 65 October 27 San Juan Del Sur

Today was a lazy day hanging out in San Juan and swimming in the ocean.

I did have some work to do however to source an oil seal. I emailed a fellow that contacted me near the beginning of the trip. He lives in Costa Rica but heard about the trip when he was in St. Albert in August. Since Costa Rica is my next stop I asked if he could help. He has some good connections with moto repair shops both locally and in Florida. So worst case we get a seal shipped from the states and hopefully it takes a week. I can afford to stay in Costa Rica 10 days without stress so we’ll see how it goes. Maybe we can find one locally.

Some more photos from around San Juan.

No, I do not want to buy any sunglasses

Camera has a mind of it's own

Rice with shrimp and of course cerveza

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #272
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 66 A Border and a Big Mac

Day 66 October 28 San Juan del Sur Nicaragua to Nosara Costa Rica

View Larger Map

One of the great things about this trip is that every day brings something unexpected. Today did not disappoint. I studied hard last night trying to memorize the steps of another complicated border crossing. I wrote out the process on a cheat sheet and drew a little map of what I thought the building layout would be. I was prepared and under no circumstance was I going to be taken for a fool again.

I reached the Nicaragua/Costa Rica border at 8:00am in intermittent rain showers. I figured the rain and the early hour might keep the con artists at bay and I was right. I followed the process step by step just as I had learned it. 90 minutes later I was done and cruising into Costa Rica. I even had time to do a little shopping at the duty free store.

Immediately I noticed a marked difference from the countries I had left behind me. Speed limits are clearly posted here both with signs and pavement markings.

Nice Costa Rican pavement

The raised economic state is also apparent with fewer rundown buildings and more professional looking businesses. In the cities there are more familiar North American companies present like McDonalds (I admit it, I had a Big Mac). And yes, I know McDonalds is in other CA countries too.

There were a number of roads on the map leading to Nosara so I just picked the twisty looking one that followed the coastline. I had heard that during rainy times this road could have high water. I rode along the hard packed dirt road expecting a river crossing at any moment.

The track changed from high speed gravel to rougher potholed backroad and eventually I came to the first deep water.

Looks easy enough

I watched a Toyota 4runner pass through the river before I made the attempt and it looked easy enough. But the river bottom was unexpectedly soft and slippery. That, combined with my worn out rear tire created a problem. I made it through the water but was way, way out of shape on the exit. I could not overcome the fishtailing rear end and spinning wheel. I dropped her at a slow pace but fast enough to do some damage to the right side pannier. A local man watched my spill and came to my aid by helping me lift the bike. The poor luggage did not rise with the bike. It stayed on the ground with the mounting points buckled in by the impact. In addition the tool tube under the engine guard smashed open and spilled its contents. The rider had nary a scratch. We moved the bike out of the road and I carried the bits and pieces to a safe spot to assess the damage. It was then that my new friend pointed out that I should have taken the bridge like that motorcycle just did....Doh!!!

VIDEO Note: there are one or two bad words in this video

“Mi amigo, hay rios mas abajo de esta carretera?” “
“Si dos mas”
“Hay Puentes para motos sobre ellos?!
“Si no hay problema”

Ok, there are two more rivers but they have bridges too. But first some repairs. I used a large rock to bash the mounting holes as straight as possible. It was enough to get the pannier mounted but not securely. I used two tie down straps to snug it up to the luggage frame which by the way sustained no damage at all.

After struggling to restart the engine I finally got moving again. But before I left another man approached. He asked if I was going to see the turtles come up on the beach tonight. He said the beach is just around the corner and the turtles start coming out of the ocean to lay their eggs at 4 o’clock. This was something I wanted to see so I decided I would come back after finding a place to stay in Nosara which was 15 minutes from here.

But I had two rivers to cross yet. The fist structure was a narrow suspension bridge with cables running along its sides. I promptly hooked the spare tire on a cable and briefly thought I had lost it but only managed to snap a Rok Strap holding it on. The second bridge was a flat metal deck with no sides, a little hairy with wet muddy tires.

I made it to Nosara and located Troy who enthusiastically agreed to go back with me to see the turtles later. After checking into a hostal I removed all my luggage so the bridges would not be so scary next time.

We arrived at the special beach to see a hundred people busily working on a turtle egg harvest. Olive Ridley sea turtle

Tens of thousands of eggs had been collected and were being bagged and crated for shipment. There is only a 36 hour window that this harvest is permitted.

It was a little disturbing at first but we learned that the turtles are so great in number that they lay on top of other nests which destroys many eggs. The harvest they said had very little impact. Apparently late at night there are so many turtles on the beach they are climbing over one another.

Opportunist

A lot of interest in the event

Washing the eggs in the ocean as the sun sets

Naked Skelly. Note the dangling tool tube.

Troy's surfboard rack

We returned to Nosara before dark and planned to find dinner and meet Martin. After multiple cervezas we said farewell for the last time. From here on there will be no chance that I’ll meet them again until we all return to North America. Guys, it was great to meet you both, I sure hope we can ride together again someday.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #273
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 173
Great pictures, video + report. You could write + sell the "Border Booklet" for the Americas. Any thoughts about tires in general for this trip after this many days....dirt/pavement ratios etc?
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #274
T0M_NASTY
where ya too?

Oddometer: 47
subscribed
me and my fiance are preparing for a similar trip on our KLR's next august
T0M_NASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #275
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
Great pictures, video + report. You could write + sell the "Border Booklet" for the Americas. Any thoughts about tires in general for this trip after this many days....dirt/pavement ratios etc?
I'm running Mitas E-07 tires which are 50/50. I have not seen the longevity I was expecting from them but I do like how they ride. The rear is almost at the wear bars at 13000km and the front are good for 3000 more I'd say. The first real long challenging dirt came as the tires became worn so my timing didn't take advantage of the aggressive tread block. Remember I rode on them from northern Canada so plenty of high speed pavement at the beginning. Next time I'd time it so I put new rubber on nearer the mexico border.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #276
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M_NASTY View Post
subscribed
Fell free to fire any questions you may have my way. Comments are very welcome too!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #277
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
similar trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M_NASTY View Post
subscribed
Tom_NASTY@ we are preparing similar trip with my wife from Atlanta to Ushuaia possibly leaving September/October next year...Hope we come cross on the South...
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #278
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 67 Into the Clouds

Day 67 October 29 Nosara to Santa Elena/Monteverde 160km

Today was a short haul. Destination, the cloud forest at Monteverde. Zip lining is on the list of things I want to do and Monteverde is supposed to be the best place to do it.

To leave Nosara I had to ride some more of the bumpy dirt but it was brief. A great morning of twisties stretched out in front of me.

After lunch at Tres Hermanas “Where’s the Bull” I continued on.

To get to Santa Elena one must travel on dirt. It’s about 35km of 2nd gear, bumpy and steep road. It climbed and climbed, into the clouds. Then suddenly the touristy town of Santa Elena appears. A quick search landed me at Monteverde Hostel Lodge, an upscale hostel. I opted for a private room at $30/night but it’s a damn sweet room and I actually had hot water.

I booked a canopy tour at the front desk, went for a walk, had dinner and promptly fell asleep by 7:30
Old 11-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #279
DirtSquirt
Super Noob

Oddometer: 25
Great report, I really like the video, you are living my dream! As I settle in for another Alberta winter it is great that you take the time to document your trip, I look forward to your progress every day!

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #280
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSquirt View Post
Great report, I really like the video, you are living my dream! As I settle in for another Alberta winter it is great that you take the time to document your trip, I look forward to your progress every day!

Thank you!
I'm enjoying a little break in Costa Rica right now courtesy of a friend who gave me a few nights stay in a great resort. If it makes you feel any better it's raining like mad here and the thunder is so intense car alarms are going off. I hope the winter is a mild one for you
Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #281
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 68 ziplining

Day 68 October 30 Monteverde Cloud Forest

Sorry to my moto friends, this has nothing to do with Motorcycles :)

Before the bus picked me up at 8am I gathered all my laundry to be washed while I was out. If you have ever traveled like this before you’ll know about hotel sink laundry. It works, kind of. The long days of hot riding and the dreaded border crossings create a rather manly smell. My washing attempts merely make the smell “less bad”. To get all my clothes laundered properly is worth the price. In Mexico it cost me $2, here it was a whopping $10.

The shuttle stopped a few times to pick up others. On the bus was a trio from Brooklyn, a couple from New York, a brother and sister from Victoria and Toronto, two girls from Slovenia, and me. About half an hour up the steep bumpy road and we arrived at the tour complex. The group quickly got geared up and began the short hike to the first stop, an orientation session. The first line was a shorty just to get used to it.

Then twelve more lines of awesomeness up to 1000 meters long. Mixed in was the Tarzan Swing, a crazy leap off a platform to swing in a massive arc from the limb of a giant tree. I was the first to go and must admit was a little nervous!

The braking apparatus for the Tarzan Swing

After the adrenaline rush we took a tour on the eight suspension bridges high in the forest canopy.

This is one naughty looking plant

All in all a great morning.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #282
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 119
Great post and photos, though a few more of the Slovenian girls would be appreciated . Added to my list of places to visit when it is my turn.

Saludos,

Martín
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #283
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 700
DRRambler,

Great ride report and pictures. Your Costa Rica section is bringing back some fond memories!

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #284
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
DRRambler,

Great ride report and pictures. Your Costa Rica section is bringing back some fond memories!

All the Best,

Thanks poolman, I just started reading your CR report an it looks awesome. I think I'd like to come back to many of these CA countries on a smaller less laden machine.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #285
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Great post and photos, though a few more of the Slovenian girls would be appreciated . Added to my list of places to visit when it is my turn.

Saludos,

Martín

If I meet more Slovenian ladies I'll be sure to get some photos for you!