Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #1081
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvfr View Post
You can keep the sidestand from slamming on to the ground with you big toe (while wearing sandals) and prevent the seat from hitting your package.

However your toenail will never be the same...
No thanks, I need my toes to work. Don't use rubber tipped shoes/boots to put the hot K1200RS on the centerstand, may melt the tip of your brand new hiking boots.

Talking about that, the steel shank rotted away in an old pair of riding boots. Broke when I put the heavy GS on the centerstand and punched me under the foot. Just about dropped the bike that time and had to pour some epoxy in the boots as a temporary repair.....
Old 10-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #1082
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,489
Light hearted note:

Never sit outside Mammoth with your bride and take a drink everytime a Subaru goes by, of course we had to make disparaging remarks.

The next of riding sucked!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #1083
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Light hearted note:

Never sit outside Mammoth with your bride and take a drink everytime a Subaru goes by, of course we had to make disparaging remarks.

The next of riding sucked!
lol, yeah that sounds like a pretty hardcore drinking game alright!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #1084
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldman1 View Post
When resembling the top end remember to to install piston on rod.
This one reminds me of the pro mechanic who was doing a complete engine rebuild on a triumph circa 1970. He had the crank in the cases and the top end on. He was having trouble putting the primary together. Upon close inspection, he concluded that he had the crank in backwards.

So...he carefully covered up the engine with shop rags and retrieved the service manager. The manager never said a word as the mech showed him the status of the job. The mech allowed that he was too upset/disconcerted to continue working for the day and promised to come in early the next day to continue the job. After the mech had gone, the manager let the rest of us know and see the debacle for ourselves. Nobody but nobody ever teased the mech for the error as we all realized that but for the Grace of God it could have been any one of us. The day after the job was done and the bike was out the door, us mechs took the wrench for a very polite beer. One from each of us.

Note to self: make sure that the first three pieces to go together really are correct.

Some of those triumph barrels, bitd, would go on the cases backwards and a mech wouldn't necessarily notice it till the head wouldn't fit.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #1085
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
When charging 12v batteries that later are hooked into series, make sure the final red wire goes to positive and the final black to negative before plugging it back into the circuit board.....

What a pop. Circuit board is toast.

This one reminds me of the time that I was servicing a bike with strange electrical problems. Diodes were blowing like mad yet all the wiring checked out perfect, wtf ?????

Took me 20 minutes to find that the wet cell battery had been charged up in reverse. I had the service manager come over to my bench to see this for himself. We guestimated that the customer when faced with a dead batt in the Spring after winter storage just hooked up his batt charger backwards? The batt being so dead that there wasn't enough sparks to make it obvious that it was wrong.

For the hell of it, I drained the batt with a cuppla headlights and charged it up with correct polarity. Fixed the diodes and had the service manager call the customer to see if a new batt was to be installed? The customer decided to ride the bike around just to see if the batt would last any length of time. Batt lasted 2 seasons before failing.

At the time, nobody in the shop had ever seen such a thing and nobody believed that such a thing might even be possible. Sure, customers hooking up a batt backwards had happened often enough.

note to self: check polarity first on all strange elec. equipment.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #1086
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
Took me 20 minutes to find that the wet cell battery had been charged up in reverse. I had the service manager come over to my bench to see this for himself. We guestimated that the customer when faced with a dead batt in the Spring after winter storage just hooked up his batt charger backwards? The batt being so dead that there wasn't enough sparks to make it obvious that it was wrong.

note to self: check polarity first on all strange elec. equipment.
Oh, yes. When I was an auto mechanic, one of the fellows hooked the charger up to a dead battery - reversed. He had it out on the bench, and when he went to put it back in the car it threw sparks when trying to hook up the "ground". Meter confirmed charged in reverse. He used a heater fan motor to run it back to zero and recharge correctly. We did a full load test on the battery before reinstalling it, passed fine.

I learned mechanicing from my grandfather - working on his '52 plymouth 6V positive ground sedan. It had two big 6V batteries wired parallel for good starting performance - but he could take off the main cables, swap the mid cable to make them series/12V and jumpstart a more modern machine.

Note to self: Always unhook the ground wire first - even if it is the "+".

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #1087
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
This one reminds me of the pro mechanic who was doing a complete engine rebuild on a triumph circa 1970. He had the crank in the cases and the top end on. He was having trouble putting the primary together. Upon close inspection, he concluded that he had the crank in backwards.

So...he carefully covered up the engine with shop rags and retrieved the service manager. The manager never said a word as the mech showed him the status of the job. The mech allowed that he was too upset/disconcerted to continue working for the day and promised to come in early the next day to continue the job. After the mech had gone, the manager let the rest of us know and see the debacle for ourselves. Nobody but nobody ever teased the mech for the error as we all realized that but for the Grace of God it could have been any one of us. The day after the job was done and the bike was out the door, us mechs took the wrench for a very polite beer. One from each of us.

Note to self: make sure that the first three pieces to go together really are correct.

Some of those triumph barrels, bitd, would go on the cases backwards and a mech wouldn't necessarily notice it till the head wouldn't fit.
I saw a ktm 950 motor last year same issue
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #1088
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,172
Originally posted by Coxwain on the Widdogs Forum..... yes there are pictures to verify...., I thought it deserves to be here

"Senario .....Its a Monday night ....Its been a rough day..... a couple o mates stop by ....a few beers are drunk, followed by a few bottles of wine, and some good conversation. The mates leave cause its getting late and you just know its time to wash your pig....22.30 ....Im a sick person.
Of course there is no light outside and the missus has gone to bed ....so you haul out your washing bucket and give the old girl a good sponging down. ....Ahhh that looks good ....not that you can see a farking thing. Right some good old Dash just to keep the plastic looking good ....yip .....thats better ......but hey wait ....that dosnt look right ......FARK ....its a can of RED SPRAY PAINT.....how the Fark did that get in the bucket !!!!

Yes ...its just happened ....Ive just sprayed my Pig red. .....Im going to bed now ...and when I wake up in the morning this will all be just a bad dream....Good Night. "
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #1089
zoltan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Don't roll up the cuffs on your jeans while installing a new tire on your dirt bike, or the axle nut might fall into the fold and you will end up tearing apart the garage for an hour and a half getting pissed looking for said nut.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #1090
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #1091
Shoganai
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,752
Note to self: if while sorting out why you don't have tank bag power and blow a couple of fuses, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use your nose to sniff out that burning smell!

**I've almost stopped trembling**

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #1092
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
After your car has been sitting for WAY too long check to see if the brakes work BEFORE loading it onto the trailer so you don't spend 4 hours jacking it up and using a ratcheting strap to unembed it from the tow vehicle and getting the back doors to open and close again

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #1093
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,582
When you splash gasoline all over one hand and also in your eyes, use the other hand to rub your eyes. Also, when you pick up that can of brake or carb cleaner you just put down, always check to make sure the nozzle is pointed away from your face. Even if you just put it down a few seconds ago.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #1094
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
When you splash gasoline all over one hand and also in your eyes...
You didn't mention how hard gasoline is to wash out of your eyes- not that I would know anything about that.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #1095
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,582
If you swallow enough of it while siphoning, you'll note two things. One, it tastes just as bad coming up as a burp, and two, you burp a lot. Especially bad on a first date.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote